building a v8 Viva

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Old Knocker

building a v8 Viva

Post by Old Knocker »

I'm pretty sure there are at least a couple of guys out there that have built a Rover v8 engine Viva at some point. I'd like to do the same with my 4 door 1800 and wanted to get some good advice on the best way to tackle the job. I understand there will be a bit of bulkhead cutting and modification that'll have to be done.
Besides dumping the engine in there i'd also like to change the rear axle for an LSD of some sort, so I can keep the back end under control. Made a massive difference when I fitted one to my Jeep. :twisted:

If it's dead, i can make it live again. Sometimes!

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

There was a guy on here with an RV8 Chevette;

http://www.v8forum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2888

Pretty similar to a viva in terms of size etc. He used a Izuzu Piazza rear axle, they come with 4 links already attached I believe.
RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

Old Knocker

Post by Old Knocker »

Thanks for that, I never thought of that particular car. Very rare though so getting one might be a struggle. :)

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
it looks an interesting project, I hope you will put in a nice strong cage with good solid bracing around the sill/door and front floor/transmission tunnel area and some strengthening that stops the engine and box moving into the passenger area. Cars of this period are nothing like as strong as more modern cars in a prang.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Old Knocker wrote:Thanks for that, I never thought of that particular car. Very rare though so getting one might be a struggle. :)
Reliant Scimitars came with 4 links and you can bolt a Jag Posi LSDs straight in. They are often up on ebay for around £100, not bad!

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

kiwicar wrote:Hi
some strengthening that stops the engine and box moving into the passenger area.
Says the man who's bollocks are approximately 20 thou away from an exploding crownwheel.... :lol:
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Eliot
see I know what I'm talking about here :shock: :shock:
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

TR7 rear axle is also 4-link, has same diff parts as SD1, strong enough and LSD is available (not exactly cheap though). Might also be quite close in width.

Volvo 240 series axle is also robust, and parts are easily available. Comes with disc brakes.

Old Knocker

building a v8 viva

Post by Old Knocker »

Well it's been a while, thanks everybody for the advice. Got a TR7 axle in good nick, and a very nice rebuilt Rover v8 3.5, and the right car. Would have got the job done by now but very busy with work and keeping on top of house duties.
Must admit to getting the evil voices telling me to give up on the project. Usually goes away after a couple of hours of waking up fortunately.
Think i need some moral support.
Do i really need to hack out the whole bulkhead? Or is it possible to do the install without sooo much surgery? I don't need a race car, just a cruiser. :?

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

I would get the engine/box bolted together and see how much space you have (or don't have) before going and chopping the bulkhead about!

Old Knocker

v8 viva

Post by Old Knocker »

Yes that seems best option, did hear of somebody that did very little surgery but had an auto box kept it well forward. Unfortunately i have a manual LT77 with a short shift which makes it as short as the viva box, so we'll have to see. Hopefully can get to do something at the weekend when i get this volvo 480 away from the front of the garage. And what an awful car that is to work on.

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Pretty sure there was a guy on here a few years back with a rv8 chevette and he didnt chop the bulkhead. Similar shell arent they?

Old Knocker

v8 viva

Post by Old Knocker »

Erm, well similar i guess but never measured it up. Might manage a prelim fitting this weekend. Famous last words. :roll:

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”