mid mount roverv8 4x4 kombi

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

roverv8bay

Post by roverv8bay »

G'day all. been a bit slow on kombi with baby sitting granddaughters in school holidays back in 2 weeks hope to fit up the right hand spindle with a disc to check the lift on the front. have the engine drive train in situ just have to weld in engine mount brackets & fabricate a gearbox xmember they will both sit on rover mounts for simplicity of style. A couple of pics of where I'm up to the shifters are sorted & after picking myself up from the shock of quote to build a box to support them I found a far cheaper alternative for a 3rd the cost.
front of engine I'm using

This is unfortunately where the engine has to sit to allow for transfercase. if it was 2wd the motor could have come back to level with seat backs
height of engine & gearbox above floor line so the gear box will create minimum intrusion in to floor space

shifter setup comprises tarago cable shifter for gearbox 1/2 Mitsubishi cable shifter for transfer case hi ace handbrake lever

shifter housing come secure storage locker cheaper than having 1 made

templates for engine mount brackets to be welded to engine cradle

roverv8bay

Post by roverv8bay »

G'day all. spent some time setting up the front spindle to suspension to check clearance's here's what it will look like once its assembled.
ernie

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Perry
look a man who understands about correct foot wear for use while working on a car, you may mock my safety sandals but this fine fellow has safety flip-flops . . (though being from Australia they are probably named after contraceptives!) :D
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

roverv8bay

Post by roverv8bay »

G'day kiwicar. over here we have a few names but never flip flop's
1st thongs
2nd pluggers that's for thongs with single plugs in back straps
3rd double pluggers no need for explanation for that.
ernie

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Ernie
thong over here is generally http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thong_%28clothing%29
I sort of see why they are both called the same. . . .
What are the front hubs off? have you posted this already and I have just missed it (as usual :oops: ) just I don't remember 'dub buses with vented discs!
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

roverv8bay

Post by roverv8bay »

G'day kiwicar. thanks for coming back. Good to have some banter from time to time. The front 4x4 spindles are from a holden or izusu rodeo depending on country. they have had the ball joint holes modified to accept vw ball joints with the camber adjuster in the top hole which was originally the bottom hole by flipping the spindles it put's the steering arms to the back & the larger area for the adjuster to be fitted. If you go into the kombi club site the Australian 1 there's probably a bit more info & pics on there. are you still NZ or elsewhere
ernie

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Ernie
The tag name is a little misleading, it is because the project I was working on before the slingshot dragster was a Mclaren M1C I am a bit of a fan of Bruce Mclarens cars (and the man himself) and as I was building a replica of one of the great mans' finest cars I thought the name Kiwicar was a good one. I am a Brit, born in Newcastle (north of England), I grew up in Hampshire (south of England) about 35 miles from Goodwood race track where Bruce met his end and I now live in Milton keynes in the middle about 10 from Silverstone where Bruce had some of his finest races. The tag name has stuck as I use it on 3 or 4 forums around the place, The Mk1C is on hold!
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

roverv8bay

Post by roverv8bay »

G'day kiwicar. I don't know if that's a bonus aussies have 2 countries that we tend to banter with about there parents marital status at the time of their birth. but we also have a common thread in our short history.
ernie

roverv8bay

Post by roverv8bay »

G'day all. some updates headers have to be built on the car to fit them in. Similar to MG V8 also BMW 3 series window motors to fit up
ernie

Spongo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Spongo »

Thats one hell of a project you have going there looking forward to the result, my car was converted by Overfinch so I spend most of my time putting the things right that they did wrong :lol:
Range Rover 630R or otherwise known as the Money Pit
MS2 with switch MAPS for LPG
Techedge Wideband Sensor

roverv8bay

Post by roverv8bay »

G'day spongo. thanks for dropping in. I have been sorting out power windows for the bus using series 3 BMW cable screw type. it took me an hour to get the bus 1 out the 1/2 hour to drill out the rivets holding the drive onto the cable cut the retainer out of the bus clamp & fit the motor onto the bus drive tube
ernie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvVyAqS ... ilpage#t=4https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHP7uRWNrEc

roverv8bay

Post by roverv8bay »

G'day all. There have been a few changes in direction so to speak. I have changed the rack & pinion to Audi centre steer. but retained the Daewoo tierod arms & had the bush end removed & the bar threaded to suit astra tierod ends for their length instead of the rubber bushes.

this is the left side drive shaft using the diff cv flange out of commodore & the outer spline off the rodeo cv shaft it's spigotted into the commodore end

Image I have spent the last 6mths doing home renos so will be back full time on swap soon

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Keep the pics coming!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

v8250
Getting There
Getting There

Post by v8250 »

roverv8bay, this is going to be a superb 'bus' when finished. I was looking at your brake set up thinking that's straight from a Subaru Forester. I have a big soft spot for Foresters and have a 2.5FXT as my daily driver, 250bhp and does more as an all round driver than most men could ever want, plus, they're hugely popular down under. Keep up the good work and posting the pics...

roverv8bay

Post by roverv8bay »

G'day all. been awhile. so here's an update the engine front needed a cover made along with the transmission. After several calls to sheetmetal factories I had to shape my own using a combination of car wheel lowered down onto sheet to get a curve in it to clamping to the trailer frame.

Image[/img]

This is where the cover will sit but it will be bolted to the engine box

This is the start of shaping the trans tunnel it needed to have a taper from 9cms to 7cms to the rear as ell as the curve over the centre line to clear the transmissions.

ImageImage

the curve required

putting the taper on & corner I have had angle welded on since these pics were taken to use to secure to the floor with DZUZ fasteners & rubber seal between them.

this is the final shape ready to be welded together

The next major job air intake & evacuating the hot engine box air. I'm rotating the intake & throttle body around to face the right side. The AFM will sit in a metal box that will be portioned down the middle to allow fresh air into the throttle body & the hot air sucked out the rear of the scoop mounted on the righthand outside panel.

Reversed throttle body

I have to have a plate welded onto the lid to seal it
then a panel down the middle to isolate the air flow

The external scoop for fresh air into engine.

Next job is he engine harness pretty simple set up on the Rover

this is the cover for the ECU fuse panels & relays. It was a 240volt fuse box.
I have cut the bottom out to allow for some air flow

The freebie long range fuel tank turned out to be a dud but is salvageable. I decided to cut & flip the front edge to allow the tank to slip into where the vw tank sat. The idea was to give me room for the radiator in the engine bay instead of up the front. when I cut it open I found the fuel pick up pipe had no filter on the end & the bottom of the pipe was about 5cms above the bottom of the tank & no swirlpot. So plenty to do to it before fitting it insitu

The next job was to make a support bracket for the Audi rack & pinion for the righthand side. Pretty simple set up. the 2 half holes will weld to the beam tubes on the VW front end

these are the street tyres. the rims cost $2.00 aus each. Powder coating I swapped for a roof rack & the seat slide tracks off my floor

Trying to find the best location for the front diff. To get the best direction for tailshaft to transfercase

What was a V8 commodore rear diff with the mount flipped over & sitting on a simple mounting bracket that will weld to the beam

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”