RV8 in a vw lt40?

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Old-Tin-Tacing

RV8 in a vw lt40?

Post by Old-Tin-Tacing »

I love my old vw lt40 2.4D but it is slow and i can not take it in the LMZ the engine is on the way out so i got a tinking why not fit a v8 lpg auto in it, why a rv8,my truck is all steel and if i put my westmister on the back it is 3.7 ton's so a pig iron block is out. it will have to have lpg so i can go in the lmz and a auto as the vw gearbox is a pig up side down 5 speed, im going to buy a v8 lpg off flebay as they sale for £500 so i can get all the engine bits i need? but auto box is the hard bit for me would a TH350 do the job? i been looking at fitting a ford auto axle as they have 14" wheels and the vw one the brakes are bad and the bits are geting hard to get,,,,info would be good would a 3.5L be best?

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Am I right in thinking those had the fan on the crankshaft?

Measure up the engine before you buy - I guess you are thinking of getting a Range Rover? The Rangie engine has the fan very high up, which might give you an issue.

The 727 was fitted to some Range Rovers, so there will be a bellhousing. However, the best box in my opinion is the ZF4HP22. You would need to fit the Range Rover bellhousing to a 2 wheel drive box from a BMW / Merc / Volvo etc.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

I think the 727 used on early Range Rovers had the bell housing cast onto the box and is not removable.
TC

Old-Tin-Tacing

Post by Old-Tin-Tacing »

I was looking at Ford Mondeo twin fans as thay did a good job on a 350hp supra if they will fit, I need a good auto box that will last not looking for hp just a good drive, been looking at th350 and 400 but they look big i had look at a C4

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
Perry (mgbv8) has a adaptor plates for bolting a th350 onto a rover if that is a help?
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Old-Tin-Tacing wrote:I was looking at Ford Mondeo twin fans as thay did a good job on a 350hp supra if they will fit, I need a good auto box that will last not looking for hp just a good drive, been looking at th350 and 400 but they look big i had look at a C4
If a three speed is ok and you're going for a 3.5, why not just use an SD1 box? The GM 180 works extremely well.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”