cheapest way to 250 bhp

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

volospian
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by volospian »

mgbv8 wrote:

What will that ally LS engine put out as standard?
What can it be tweaked to on stock internals ?
Can you chuck all the gubbins off it and fit a hoofing great Carb and Blower?
The L33 in that ad is claimed by Chevy to put out 310hp and 335lb/ft as standard.

The engine is basically the "truck" version of the LS block and is pretty much the same as the Gen III LS1/LS6, and uses the same style "cathedral port" heads, although the L33 799 heads are closer to LS6 heads than LS1. You can therefore use most mods from the LS1/6 family on this engine without issue, so you can fit "off the shelf" aftermarket cams, headers, etc.

Also, some parts from the Gen IV series, such as LS3/7/9, can be used, albeit often with some extra work required (for example, the cam sensor wheel is at the back on LS1and LS6 engines, and at the front on later versions, so you need to swap the front timing cover for a later unit if you want to use a cam sensor).

I have an LS6 intake for mine, which is said to release an extra 20hp or so (the L33 stock intake is tuned for low down torque but runs out of breath at higher revs) and I will raise the rev limit to ~6500 or so (apparently this is about the limit on stock valve springs, but people are spinning the stock bottom end to over 7k with suitable top ends). I'll also use non standard headers although as it will be emptying almost straight into side pipes via cats I'll probably have to use "shorty" headers, which won't give me as much as long headers would (I have to meet IVA sound and emissions levels... although once it has passed IVA...).

I'm not aiming for big power on mine (at the minute) but I'm expecting somewhere just south of around 350hp-ish. The guy I bought it off uses them on his custom 60's F1 cars and reckons he gets 350 out of them easily, but he uses a custom ITB intake and exhaust setup. Once I've had it for a while I'll look at a better cam and maybe an aftermarket intake/TB setup... or maybe a blower kit... :)

And you can certainly slap a carb setup on it, Retro LS. And people have put a roots type bower setup on them too. Admittedly that

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

OK
so I'm a bit conservative on output but you get the drift? :D
the heads breathe very well, there are cams and springs available that up the output quite a bit, the heads can be ported, but dont really need it until you get over about 450 normally aspirated the rods and pistons are good but not great, the crank is good for more than the rods and pistons. You can bolt a carb and bower to it. . .and running open 4 branch headers on it will probably liberate another 25 bhp not mentioned else where. Oh and a cam change can be done in about 20 minutes!
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Lexus 1UZ from a LS400, pick up a complete engine for £4-600, over 250bhp as standard and reliable.

Must be the cheapest way to get 250bhp.
TC

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

topcatcustom wrote:Lexus 1UZ from a LS400, pick up a complete engine for £4-600, over 250bhp as standard and reliable.

Must be the cheapest way to get 250bhp.
The V8 from an LS400 has a front drop sump, which may cause issues for x-member / steering rack clearance. The Toyota Soarer is the one you want as that has a rear drop sump. Whole cars can be had with MOT for less than a grand - buy one with leather interior/alloyws to sell on and make a bit of cash back, that's my plan anyway!
RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Don't you have to factor in the costs of all the special bits that have to be fabricated when fitting an entirely different engine? As opposed to buying off the shelf for an RV8?
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Dave
to compare like with like I think you do, but that also implies you have to factor in all the stuff you have to do with the RV8, you have issues with aged engine looms that need refurbishment, the ecu that really needs replacing or updating if you use fuel injection, the Rover lt77 boxes that are all ancient or just not strong enough and the clutch arrangments. . :roll: . . That there are few alternatives (the T5 for instance is not a simple swap 90% of the time).
The question was about a 250 bhp engine, what you bolt it to is another question entirly. As an example an LS will bolt up to a TH350 and at a torque capacity of over 400 ft lb stock and normally about £250 that is a cheep box aswell as a cheep engine!
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

DaveEFI wrote:Don't you have to factor in the costs of all the special bits that have to be fabricated when fitting an entirely different engine? As opposed to buying off the shelf for an RV8?
Like what, engine/gearbox mounts? Hardly an issue, not sure what other special fabrication you mean?

The entire engine, gearbox and ecu/loom out of the donor car would do, then just wire in some power/fuelling.
RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Apart from just the simple mounts, sump/oil pickup/oil pump mods? Transmission tunnel mods if the 'box is bigger? Adaptor plates to fit engine to box? Exhaust mods? Prop shaft mods?

It depends on what facilities (and skills) you have at your disposal of course, but for many the costs of getting what power they need from an RV8 variant could be quite easily established (where one was used initially). Using an entirely different engine etc more likely a guess.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Back to the original post,
it is a 3,5 V8 on SUs, as he will have to replace pretty well everything in the drive train to make use or 250 bhp so really all the options are on the same level.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”