Need help for gearbox choice for Lexus V8 ...

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Need help for gearbox choice for Lexus V8 ...

Post by chodjinn »

After months of careful consideration and budget planning, I think the only realistic option for me to get a V8 in the MG is to use a Lexus 1UZ-FE V8 lump.

Rover V8s - been there, done that, never again.
Chevy LS - my ideal choice, but at £4.5k for a engine/T56 etc totally out of my budget. Even the £1500 L33 that Volospian has just got would still come in around £3k+ by the time ancillaries, gearbox, ECU etc have been bought.
Ford - No, would fit an LS over a Ford any day, same issues.
Audi V8 - Nice and cheap, but there are practically zero manual RWD gearboxes that will fit. (Volve 740 will fit I beleive but won't take much more than standard power).
Other options?

So, the Lexus V8s are cheap as chips, which is good. Only problem, they come with Auto boxes (LS400/Soarer etc). And I would really like a manual.

Now, I know the R154 box fits with the right bellhousing, but they are not cheap and by the time I've done that, may as well fit a T56 to the back it.

The W58 (5-speed) from the Supra will fit, but will only take up to about 300bhp (1UZ-FE has approx 260bhp standard) which will more than suffice in the short term. But we all know that in the long term more power is always desired, so are there an other options?

I've heard a T5 will fit? But I was thinknig along the lines of a BMW box might work? Can anyone advise me on this ....

Either way I will more than likely be looking at a special bellhousing. And I know the Lexus is bigger than the Rover, already planned on a bit of chopping about in the MG engine bay so don't worry about that.

cheers

RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

I get the impression some wonderful engines are cheap simply because there is no easy manual RWD option.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

Don't think T5 will fit, not straight up anyway, otherwise lots would be using them instead of Supra boxes etc. There's a guy on Rods n Sods called Froggy who has a 32 roadster build, using a Lexus and I think a Supra box (not 100% sure tho'). He made an adaptor and offered having others made iirc. Might be worth sniffing out the post.

It's a shame the drifters have pushed R154 prices so high...
The Supra adaptor kits are expensive too. There's a UK one as well as Dellow and Castlemaine Rod Shop, but that's really expensive...

Will the Lexus fit? Big ol' things. Planning to use one (with auto - due to price/cashflow more that desire..) in my project too, from a Soarer donor.

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Alley Kat wrote:Don't think T5 will fit, not straight up anyway, otherwise lots would be using them instead of Supra boxes etc. There's a guy on Rods n Sods called Froggy who has a 32 roadster build, using a Lexus and I think a Supra box (not 100% sure tho'). He made an adaptor and offered having others made iirc. Might be worth sniffing out the post.

It's a shame the drifters have pushed R154 prices so high...
The Supra adaptor kits are expensive too. There's a UK one as well as Dellow and Castlemaine Rod Shop, but that's really expensive...

Will the Lexus fit? Big ol' things. Planning to use one (with auto - due to price/cashflow more that desire..) in my project too, from a Soarer donor.
After a quick few hours reading up I too had settled on the Soarer version.

These guys will sell manual gerabox adapter kits,

http://www.1uzfeswapkit.com/

$750 for the W58, $1000 for the R154. Apparently come in a full package with everything apart from the clutch. Uses T56 hydraulic bearing parts which are tried and tested, and they ship to the UK.

At the end fo the day, it's looking like an extra $250 for the adapter kit, and then +£3/4/5/600 extra for the R154 might actually be worth it. I'm gutted I turned down an R154 box a few years ago for a few hundred quid lol!!!

Given that the adapter kits are reasonable, by the time anyone has faffed around with a custom adapter etc and all the other bits, the W58/R154 is probably the easiest, just comes down to budget and need. And believe me, I need to boost that thang!! Lol.

Or I could just swallow my pride and drivability and fit the auto that comes in the Soarer, problem solved lol!

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

I had an R154 about 4 yrs ago for a near-identical project (till the recession bit my arse/killed my business) - cost £150 then.. loads of £s now :cry:

An MG with a Lexus in sounds like a fine thing :) .

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Alley Kat wrote:I had an R154 about 4 yrs ago for a near-identical project (till the recession bit my arse/killed my business) - cost £150 then.. loads of £s now :cry:

An MG with a Lexus in sounds like a fine thing :) .
Yeah, same as me! Drift boys driving the price up lol, ah well that's how it goes.

And thanks, I don't know of an MG with a V8 Lexus lump in. Seen a 1JZ turbo motor, but that was in the States and is an easier conversion with a LHD shell due to the turbos/manifolds etc.

Seen a couple of LS1 MGBs, both in the states, but a lot of work and a lot of expense. Fingers crossed the Lexus is a goer .... now if only this cold weather would go away so I can continue the shell restoration! Probably should buy a gas heater!

By the way, do you know the name of the UK place that does manual adapters?

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

I think the UK people that did kits were called Thor something or other.. in case it's any use... seem to recall £1500 but this was 4 yrs ago ish. Memory could be dodge - "new stuff has come in and pushed the old stuff out" as Homer says....

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Just found the Thor kit and it is around that.

By the way, what is yours going into?

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

I have modified the older 016 5-speed manual locker, from the type 85 Audi Coupe Quattro / type 44 Audi 100 Quattro for RWD applications.

The 016 bolts directly to Audi V8's. It was actually the manual option for the original European Audi V8 3,6. The 4,2 got the 01E 6-speed.
2000 Audi B5 420-R, Pelican Blue:Work In Progress.
2000 Audi B5 420-R DTM, Santorin Blue: Work In Progress.

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

I've got a '59 Renault estate sat on the drive, but has been in a barn for 25 yrs and is a tad crusty.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

I'm pretty sure there are a few companies that do R154 conversions

I think I posted some links in this thread, but there are more.

http://passionford.com/forum/general-ca ... scort.html

Martin at Reyland Motorsport is fitting the V8 to one of his cars, so he would be worth contacting to see what he did about a transmission, and if he can supply something for you.

But keep searching, I'm sure I found some sensibly priced options somewhere. Just didnt take too much note of them as I didnt need them.

There might also be 6 speed Getrag adaptor setups from the twin turbo Supras, although they have an integral bellhousing, and will also fetch a huge premium.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

I've read one or two threads elsewhere regarding the 350z 6-speed gearbox. Needs some custom bits machining for it to fit, which would be a bit pricey, but they are cheap compared to an R154 and cheaper than the spura v160 equivalent.

Anyone know how much they will take torque wise?

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

There's no easy answer to power/torque handling.

A light vehicle will put much less stress on a box than a heavy car.

the Lexus wont be a torque monster either, at least not in n/a form.

Skyline GTST rwd box may be another option, or Nissan 300zx. Again I think all of those are integral bellhousings.

Or perhaps some old Volvo gearboxes, M90 is supposed to be decent ? BMW ?

The bulk of the cost will be adaptation. There are various bellhousing patterns available online for the CAD people, certainly as far as the engine goes anyway.

So using a thin adaptor plate to adapt a complete box to the Lexus engine might be the best way

This forum definitely had some drawings for the R-154 swaps.

http://www.v-eight.com/tech_forum/index.php
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

thanks stevie ... I bet your not surprised the amount of forums your name appears in for this sort of thread advice lol, I'm also on passioford as there are plenty of mental projects on there!

I suppose being that I have an MGB it's pretty light to start with, it's only about a ton, and I've lost a lot of weight by stripping it completely and using fibreglass panels all round.

We've been sent home from work due to the snow so I'm going to spend the afternoon researching gearboxes :D

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Now with a Rover V8 did the MGB not have to use "block huggers" as exhausts?

If that is the case then I very much doubt you would get a Lexus endgine into the cavity - they are really wide due to OHD Cams

After that you also have to try and get the exhausts in there too!

And what are you going to use for fuelling?

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”