BMW M60 V8 - sump bodge

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

bmwcapri

BMW M60 V8 - sump bodge

Post by bmwcapri »

Hi all, i wish i'd browsed this site 4 years ago before i started fitting an M60 into a Capri - i like BMWE36's appoach to modifying the oil pump and was impressed with those dyno results too, which show the breathing potential of these motors with exhaust & mapping mods.

To avoid the crossmember, i fitted the standard oil pump on the front side of the drivechain. It's not reversed, just moved forward, so it still spins in the same direction. The driveshaft is then turned around so the drive sprocket is on the other side.

This was the first sump design in 2008 - car was built for a £999 challenge so not much machined billet went into it, just lots of mig wire!

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

Im fitting one of these into a TR7, ive actually not got it removed from the 540i donor, to see how much hassle its going to cause at the sump end.. :?

bmwcapri

Post by bmwcapri »

Width between heads on M60/62 is a problem for a lot of engine bays (about 710mm/28")

I kept getting oil leaking out the rear crank seal with my new bodged sump on a 530 V8 and then the same with the sump fitted to a 740 unit, and i think the problem was not having enough fall on the big shelf. The fall was fine with the motor level but by the time it was mounted in the car the back of the gearbox was a lot lower than planned.

Please excuse the crudity of the diagram, i didn't have time to draw it to scale or colour it!

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

Just a quick question, i noticed on your website that you built your own exhaust? where did you source the Header flanges to match the M62 Head?

Iain

bmwcapri

Post by bmwcapri »

cut them off the original headers ;)

bmwcapri

Post by bmwcapri »

forgot to add - flanges are stainless. So no point in making up up something that BMW has already done nicely! hth

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

bmwcapri wrote:cut them off the original headers ;)
Excellent, i thought the original Manifolds where Cast items? i still havent got my engine out of the car :(

Thats the Rover V8 in the Middle :shock: and the TR8 in the background.

bmwcapri

Post by bmwcapri »

The manifolds are pressed & tubular steel flanges are stainless.

Have you checked out Rodney's 1Uzfe TR7 project -

http://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/RodneyWells.htm

Soarer V8 mid/rear sump far easier to work with than M60/62

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

bmwcapri wrote:The manifolds are pressed & tubular steel flanges are stainless.

Have you checked out Rodney's 1Uzfe TR7 project -

http://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/RodneyWells.htm

Soarer V8 mid/rear sump far easier to work with than M60/62
Yes ive seen that on the TR forums, BMW has higher output standard, standard manual box and Mapable ECU..

Im told the Lexus engine is full forged standard tho and can be easily boosted!

Have you had yours on the Rolling road with uprated exhausts, no cats etc?

bmwcapri

Post by bmwcapri »

Last time i was on the rollers i turned it into an oil bath, it was a disaster!! Since then i've rebuilt the engine and redesigned the sump but haven't been back to dyno it yet.
Good luck with your project, why not start a thread on your conversion?

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

bmwcapri wrote:Last time i was on the rollers i turned it into an oil bath, it was a disaster!! Since then i've rebuilt the engine and redesigned the sump but haven't been back to dyno it yet.
Good luck with your project, why not start a thread on your conversion?
That's the plan, I have the car going to a fabricator now soon to get the cage fitted as I don't have time to be at it myself, once the work begins I will put a thread up :)

bmwcapri

Post by bmwcapri »

After the dyno disaster i finally got around to re-designing the sump

The new rear section sends the oil down through 2 pipes to drain into the wide front sump section. Slightly less of a bodge than the first attempt, it's oil tight so far but i haven't taken the motor up to high rpm yet, so should be interesting to see how well it works :?:

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

Can you explain the maths you used for the pickup area of the sump..

I understand the sump / engine holds 8Ltrs of oil..

how much do you want the oil pickup to be submerged in the oil? is there a maths to this?

How much oil is usually held in the sump while the engine is running?

Should i just measure the volume of the standard sump, then measure how much from the bottom of the sump the pick up is, calculate the volume below the pickup and then replicate it in the new sump in terms of volume?

I am thinking that a front sump may work for me too, as im going to cut my bulkhead and push my engine way back into the engine bay.

:?: :oops: :roll:

bmwcapri

Post by bmwcapri »

New sump arrangement draining section behind steering rack into front pan through crossmember.

Iain, i can't remember the dimensions off the top of my head. The pickup pipe determines the depth of the new sump pan as being the same as the original (as nobody wants a deeper pan because of ground clearance) and you can't go shallower as the pickup pipe is part of the pump casing. The new pan area is just copied roughly from the original. the maths doesn't advance beyond Area = length x width. I made mine shorter & much wider to fit between the steering rack & the ARB, but the Area is the same as the original. hth

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

bmwcapri wrote:Image
New sump arrangement draining section behind steering rack into front pan through crossmember.

Iain, i can't remember the dimensions off the top of my head. The pickup pipe determines the depth of the new sump pan as being the same as the original (as nobody wants a deeper pan because of ground clearance) and you can't go shallower as the pickup pipe is part of the pump casing. The new pan area is just copied roughly from the original. the maths doesn't advance beyond Area = length x width. I made mine shorter & much wider to fit between the steering rack & the ARB, but the Area is the same as the original. hth
Perfect, just as a thought! Thanks for your help :)

Iain

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”