Audi B5 420-R: The Build

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

It does look OEM. I wonder why Audi didn't offer it as a model option?

Chris.

--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Nice work.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

Thanks guys.
2000 Audi B5 420-R, Pelican Blue:Work In Progress.
2000 Audi B5 420-R DTM, Santorin Blue: Work In Progress.

RAS_666

Post by RAS_666 »

ChrisJC wrote:
stevieturbo wrote:Nobody in their right mind makes a front wheel drive V8.
:oops: oopsie

Yours is looking good alot better than mine I still haven't got round to welding the radiator up yet I have connected the exhaust up to the original 1.8 exhaust system now no more need for hearing protection when I pull it our the garage every day now.

How much room did you have between the fan and the front of the engine? I am struggling for room for a pusher fan alone?

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

RAS_666 wrote:
ChrisJC wrote:
stevieturbo wrote:Nobody in their right mind makes a front wheel drive V8.
:oops: oopsie

Yours is looking good alot better than mine I still haven't got round to welding the radiator up yet I have connected the exhaust up to the original 1.8 exhaust system now no more need for hearing protection when I pull it our the garage every day now.

How much room did you have between the fan and the front of the engine? I am struggling for room for a pusher fan alone?
I've got just over 3" between the engine and radiator.

Is your car FWD or Quattro?

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

With the engine all running, without a single DTC, it is time to fit the cooling fans.

With my previous V8 swap, I ran a couple of slimline 14" pushers, 80W each. One had a manual override, which meant I could control the fan at will. The engine never overheated, but this time, I'm playing it safe. This is one of the reasons I have not fitted the fans until not, as I wanted to have a good think about the route I decided to go with.

I am running a 9" 120W puller on the engine side of the radiator, and a couple of genuine B5 S4 280mm (approx. 12") 300W fans as pushers on the outside. While it's pretty easy to rig up some sort of control relay for the 120W aftermarket fan, 300W units are a different matter, and require a different approach, if the goal is not to fry the harness, or burn the car down.

I could have gone aftermarket, and purchased one of the myriads of controllers commercially available, if a much neater OEM solution didn't exist.

An OEM B5 RS4 twin cooling fan control module, and...

...an OEM B5 RS4 fan control module wiring harness. This replaces the stock A4 harness, that runs between the left fender and wheel arch liner. Connection is in the left kick panel via the 10-pin grey plug. The brown ring connector goes onto the earth post, while the long red ring connector goes across and just above the left to right footwell, where it is bolted to terminal 30 (permanent 12V+). An extra relay is required on the relay panel, the control module is fused independently, and that's it on the inside. The rest is all plug and play in the engine bay.

9" 120W puller fan:

OEM B5 RS4 280mm 300W pusher fans x 2:

RAS_666

Post by RAS_666 »

Yes mine id front wheel drive lol I've had the engine and box for a while just sat in the shed they were for something else but that wasn't looking like it was going to happen then my waterpump went on the 1.8 so what better way to fix a waterpump?

I think if I set the radiator roughly where it was before I have about 1 inch between the bottom pully and the closest point is the old fan pully I cut it flush with the bolts basicly and there's about 3/4 of an inch. I got a pair of ac fans off a p38 range rover and they are in the way of the bumper. I guess I will have to stop pushing things about with it now :roll:

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

Range Rover P38 fans work if aircon is not being retained.

Which gearbox did you end up with - 5 or 6 speed? FWD or Quattro?

RAS_666

Post by RAS_666 »

I got a 6 speed box from a 2.7 tdi a6 I think it's a fwd box 01e it was for a midengine rwd project but...

Mine never had airconditioning in the first place unfortunately I was thinking of retrofitting but looking at the work involved I think I will leave that for another day lol. Btw for the heater what pipes have fitted the best for the conversions? My pipes had been cut in an awkward place when it was fitted with lpg and it's made them go perished and bulging where the pit a half inch fitting in a 5/8 pipe :roll: I was going to order a pair of replacements but if there's one for say a v6 that comes more or less in the right place and doesn't have those push on connectors it would be great.

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

You need the heater hoses off a 1999 / 2000 C5 S6 / 4.2 Quattro. 8)

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

I just realised...are you sure that gearbox is out of a 2.7 TDI A6? That would be a C6, and I am sure the gearbox changed in the C6. I might be wrong though...

...and another thing. Lots of later cars lost the speed sender on the transmission, so the VSS signal was via the ABS module.

Just thinking aloud.

RAS_666

Post by RAS_666 »

Well not 100% sure on the 2.7 part then it's what I was told I think the code is DQS but true it had an empty speed sensor on the diff looks like one but was hollow. I swapped it for one off another box I had and it works luckily :D a problem I have found is my ecu for my engine doesn't have a vss input for the pulse signal so I presume it will want that via can from the dash. Is that how yours have worked? My dash is pre can so I'll try making something with the arduino to make the cruise control work.

RAS_666

Post by RAS_666 »

Thanks I will get a pair of hoses ordered tomorrow too didn't see that posthiding there :oops: and I will get this radiator welded up too I've had it nearly 2 weeks now and not got it sorted.

This is a video of the first start in the car it had run before on a table in a small room and it wasn't for long fairly painful!

And this is after I made the world's most inefficient Y pipe and connected it to the 1.8 pipe so I could move it without hearing protection.

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

RAS_666 wrote:Well not 100% sure on the 2.7 part then it's what I was told I think the code is DQS but true it had an empty speed sensor on the diff looks like one but was hollow. I swapped it for one off another box I had and it works luckily :D a problem I have found is my ecu for my engine doesn't have a vss input for the pulse signal so I presume it will want that via can from the dash. Is that how yours have worked? My dash is pre can so I'll try making something with the arduino to make the cruise control work.
The ECU will require a VSS via cluster CAN, that's for sure. It would be best if you installed a facelift cluster. Not too difficult to do, you'll need the facelift connectors with a decent length of wire. You can use a facelift without DIS and just go with the blue and green connectors.

Out of interest, why go with a pre-facelift FWD car? Facelift Quattro models are quite inexpensive these days. There was a 1999 2.8 Quattro Sport 5MT on eBay that sold for £218!

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

Oil filter was delivered this morning. I ordered one for a C5 S6...

...it doesn't fit. My oil filter housing is off a C5 RS6, with a sandwich plate for an external oil cooler. The C5 RS6 threaded tube is smaller than that of the C5 S6 filter. Luckily, Audi have an RS6 one on the shelf, and are doing a swap within the hour. The C5 RS6 oil filter is also half the price of the S6 one.

C5 S6 oil filter - 077 115 561 G.
C5 RS6 oil filter - 078 115 561 K.

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”