Audi B5 420-R: The Build

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

I finally fitted my C5 RS6 oil filter housing / cooler / motor mount bracket. I also fitted the C5 RS6 Bosch alternator. The D3 A8 one was okay, but is water cooled, and the RS6 oil filter housing does not have provision for the pipework. The D3 Hitachi alternator is also damn heavy, and insanely expensive when it needs to be replaced.

Of course, this meant the D3 A8 heat exchanger coolant return hard pipe was no good. I ordered an RS6 item, which was delivered today.

All this meant pulling the engine and trans. There was no way the coolant line could be fitted with the motor in situ. I also had to remove the exhaust manifold too, but all done.

The motor and trans are bolted in, all mounts torqued up.

With my previous B5 V8 swaps, I made custom brackets, which bolted to the right-hand frame rail, to replicate the C5 S6's aluminium bracket, using a polyurethane bush on the engine's casting. I still have the template I used back then.

With this V8 swap however, a torque mount won't really be needed. I could certainly fit one, but it would be overkill with the billet aluminium motorsport engine and transmission mounts I'm running in this car. The powertrain is really buttoned down, with no movement whatsoever. I'll see how it goes, but I reckon it'll be fine.

Notching my spare subframe was a good move - I can literally get half my hands between the oil pan and subframe. It also allowed me to sit the motor lower than I otherwise could have, by running spacer washers between the frame rails and lower mounting brackets. It's a win win here.

My 1.8T front crossmember has been notched to clear the aircon compressor and alternator. The lock carrier has also been "windowed", both have been trial fitted and are good. Unfortunately, the angles I had my aluminium radiator outlet pipes welded in place are too "normal", meaning the lower pipe is right against the alternator pulley. I'm cutting both pipes off, and angle-cutting a new set to be welded on place.

Good thing I purchased 2 sets!

The 01E shifter is all bolted in place too, and the shift lever adjusted so the neutral position is dead central. This is very important, if a smooth shift between all gears is to be slick. Well as slick as the clunky 01E could ever be.

This is where things are right now, more progress will be made after Christmas.

2000 Audi B5 420-R, Pelican Blue:Work In Progress.
2000 Audi B5 420-R DTM, Santorin Blue: Work In Progress.

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

Update: 28th December, 2015

I have finally got some work underway.

I have connected the heater pipes (not fun feeding the hoses under the scuttle floor). Clutch slave cylinder is connected, and the line bled, using my 1-man method. The pedal is firmer than I can remember, certainly different to the pedal feel in my 2000 B5 2.5 V6 TDI Quattro. With my clutch and flywheel set-up, it's to be expected.

I did some more trimming of the lock carrier, or rather smoothing the burrs.

As I stated earlier, my aluminium radiator pipes, especially the lower one are not ideally located. The lower one is where the alternator pulley is. I have chopped both off. I am fitting a sideways inlet at the bottom, similar to an intercooler set-up. It clears everything. The upper outlet will simply be angled. I have made up cardboard templates which I will take to the shop that does my welding.

This set-up actually couldn't be better for my application. I can sit my radiator further forward, and as I opted not to run a B5 S4 dual mass flywheel and its corresponding engine-to-transmission spacer, I now have more room up front, to run a puller fan on the inside. I may actually run a pair of 10" slimlines, and an OEM B5 S4 pusher fan on the outside.

Brake booster vacuum line is plumbed in, so are the fuel feed return and evap lines. I retained the OEM D3 A8 lines. The D3 A8 airbox won't fit without seriously hacking it to bits, or chopping out the frame rail brace, neither of which I'm keen to do, I don't want a cone either on a road car, so an appropriate airbox is on its way.

I am also retaining SAI, which my '00 ME7.1 2.8 did not have. I will be mounting the SAI pump under the airbox.

I have not connected the lower arms, as I haven't fitted the front axles. The axles are not fitted, as it's easier to install the downpipes due to the extra space. Speaking of downpipes, the B6 S4 de-cat pipes won't work, due to the dummy CAT's the have. Too tight. I need to speak to Milltek with regards to a pair of C5 S6 decats.

I'm also wary of the B5 Passat 1.8T power steering pressure line, it is stretched too tightly to fit the V8 vane pump, so I have ordered a pressure line for the C5 RS6. I have no idea what it's like replacing the pressure line on a LHD car, getting to the banjo bolt on the rack, but on RHD cars, it's dead easy. And yeah, that's with a V8. The bolt is easily accessible from underneath the car with the downpipe removed.

I need to order a second 10-row oil cooler. I have one already, for the transmission oil cooler. But with the C5 RS6 oil cooler sandwich plate, I need another. I will get the oil pipes once both coolers are mounted, then get them crimped to the connectors at the hydraulic shop.

My C5 RS6 fuel level sender has arrived, to address the fuel gauge discrepancies fitting a C5 RS6 cluster will bring.

I have not connected the body plugs in the ECU box, as I need to add the reverse lamp pins to the vacant positions 1 and 5 of the red and brown plugs respectively.

It's all looking good.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Keep up the good work !
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

Some pictures.

B5 1.8T crossmember - the cut out section will have appropriately shaped steel welded in:

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

More pictures:

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

As I may have mentioned, the B6 S4 decats I bought did not fit. Well they did, but with their dummy catalysts quite high up - B6 S4's have them in the same location as B5 1.8T models, rather than alongside the transmission (B5 2.8) they were pretty tight against the B5's frame rails. They would vibrate like crazy, and the heat in contact with the frames...

I have now ordered a pair of Milltek B6 S4 decats. They are pretty similar to C5 S6 items, just pipes, no dummy cats. So fit will be fine. At least I can then get the underneath buttoned up - exhaust, driveshafts, propshaft and lower arms. I still haven't got a 4.11:1 rear differential yet, but if it comes to it, I can remove the rear differential from my B5 2.5 V6 TDI Quattro, and replace that one later.

I can't wait to drive this car.

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

I take my hat off to you! That is quite an undertaking you have done, there, and very neatly done, too.
Well done, mate!
Cheers,
John

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

unstable load wrote:I take my hat off to you! That is quite an undertaking you have done, there, and very neatly done, too.
Well done, mate!
Thanks bud. :)

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

There hasn't been much happening with B5 420-R.

I am waiting for my Milltek downpipes to be delivered. They are decats, but my car will need cats to pass emissions. I do have a friendly tester who will look the other way, but it's worth having a pair of cats anyway. I will most likely purchase a pair of Magnaflow 200 cell HFC's, and stainless V-band kits.

Then cut out a similar length section from each downpipe. The cut sections will be V-banded, so will the HFC's making swapping between cats and cecats easy.

These are what I ended up pulling the trigger on:

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Big Up dude!!
Its looking like it was actually supposed to be in that engine bay :)

Respect!!

Pel

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

v8250
Getting There
Getting There

Post by v8250 »

mgbv8 wrote:Big Up dude!!
Its looking like it was actually supposed to be in that engine bay :)

Respect!!

Pel
This. That's a shed load of work going on there, very tightly packaged and it looks like it comes from the factory...and all done in a single garage...hats-off to you!

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

Thanks guys. :D

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

My Milltek de-cat pipes turned up this morning, and as with Milltek exhaust systems, beautifully crafted. Those welds are stitched on pretty good.

I should get them fitted this weekend.

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

Update: 09th January, 2016.

My Milltek de-cat pipes arrived yesterday, and today I installed them.

For those who may be interested, Milltek no longer produce de-cat pipes for the C5 S6. The set I purchased are for the B6/7 S4 with manual gearbox. They are well made, and pretty pricey, as you would expect of Milltek products. It was a big gamble, as I had no idea if they would fit a 40V in a B5.

They fit as well as the original pair fit the 30V. The only bug is the bracket that bolts to the transmission. It interferes with the 01E mounting brackets - the B6 S4 runs a DTS-style gearbox cradle. I ground them off, I'll get appropriate brackets welded in the right place to bolt to the 01E once I can drive it to a shop.

One more aspect to note - the B6 S4 downpipes don't have gaskets to fit the manifolds. The collars are free floating, with the ends of the pipes flared to mate to the headers, which are domed to match, forming a gas-tight seal. I opted to run B6 headers too, which are a direct fit to the 40V motor.

B5 V6 / C5 V8 downpipes have fixed collars, and utilise steel laminate gaskets to seal against the headers, which have flat mating surfaces. The B6 S4 downpipes will NOT work here. Options are:

Cut off the Milltek flared ends and floating collars, and weld on V6 flat ends, with fixed collars (complicated).
Fit B6 S4 headers (easier).

I have fitted the B5 RS4 propshaft, so it's bolted to the 01E and the central mount is bolted to the frame. The rear end is not bolted to the differential, as I need to replace it with the correct 4.11:1 ratio unit to match my 01E. This means I can't fit the rest of the exhaust yet.

Clutch is fine, I've also set the shift lever position, allowing me to fit the inner sound deadening, shifter surround and my custom aluminium shift knob.

Next will be the installation of the front axles and lower arms.

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

Update: 09th January, 2016.

My Milltek de-cat pipes arrived yesterday, and today I installed them.

For those who may be interested, Milltek no longer produce de-cat pipes for the C5 S6. The set I purchased are for the B6/7 S4 with manual gearbox. They are well made, and pretty pricey, as you would expect of Milltek products. It was a big gamble, as I had no idea if they would fit a 40V in a B5.

They fit as well as the original pair fit the 30V. The only bug is the bracket that bolts to the transmission. It interferes with the 01E mounting brackets - the B6 S4 runs a DTS-style gearbox cradle. I ground them off, I'll get appropriate brackets welded in the right place to bolt to the 01E once I can drive it to a shop.

One more aspect to note - the B6 S4 downpipes don't have gaskets to fit the manifolds. The collars are free floating, with the ends of the pipes flared to mate to the headers, which are domed to match, forming a gas-tight seal. I opted to run B6 headers too, which are a direct fit to the 40V motor.

B5 V6 / C5 V8 downpipes have fixed collars, and utilise steel laminate gaskets to seal against the headers, which have flat mating surfaces. The B6 S4 downpipes will NOT work here. Options are:

Cut off the Milltek flared ends and floating collars, and weld on V6 flat ends, with fixed collars (complicated).
Fit B6 S4 headers (easier).

I have fitted the B5 RS4 propshaft, so it's bolted to the 01E and the central mount is bolted to the frame. The rear end is not bolted to the differential, as I need to replace it with the correct 4.11:1 ratio unit to match my 01E. This means I can't fit the rest of the exhaust yet.

Clutch is fine, I've also set the shift lever position, allowing me to fit the inner sound deadening, shifter surround and my custom aluminium shift knob.

Next will be the installation of the front axles and lower arms.

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”