Mk1 Mr2 V8 project

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Woodsport

Mk1 Mr2 V8 project

Post by Woodsport »

I thought i'd share my build thread on V8 forum, seems to be some pretty knowledgeable folks here, anyway here is my project.

This is my own personal project, not a customers car, so i wanted to do something wild and different, at Woodsport we build the now commonplace mk1 V6's and mk1 turbos so i wanted to build something for myself that pushed the boudaries a bit.This car had a TRD supercharged 1mz-fe in it previously, then this happened....

Take one mk1, and an audi 4.2ltr AHC V8 (340bhp version) with 6 speed gearbox....

Then cut away offending bits of firewall and chassis (to be replaced later with stronger sections) and install the engine....

There is about 3" cabin intrusion so still space for a seat and at 6ft i still fit in, so no need for that leg transplant i had thought about.

The engine cradle and gearbox cradle have since been made so the engine is now free hanging, lots of things to do including making a shorter fuel tank, but nothing i can't handle.

I had a long hard look at the audi gearbox and its selector rod and decided an Mr2 style shifter assembly might work.The plan was to make everything from a Mk2 NA box work.... and after a few hours work i managed to attach the mr2 forks....

Mk3 Mr2 cables were found to be the perfect length to stretch from the gearstick to the box linkage....

This works really well,i can get all 6 forward gears very easily and reverse.At the stick end it needed a little more work, i had to lengthen one of the cable holding brackets and extend both cables with tubing, finally attaching the mk1 cable ends onto the mk3 cables.It all works really well and a massive hurdle out of the way.

Image.

The front engine bay crossmember has now been reconstructed and moved forward.It has been seam welded into the chassis and tied into the old crossmember.I reckon this is a hell of a lot stronger than it was before,it also gives me a superb achorage point for the stiffeners im going to add later.

A quick glimpse of how the engine is hung, the engine bay now has two subframe mounting points, one either side of the engine.I have made an engine cradle to carry the full weight of the engine and this cradle bolts to the mounting points, doing it this way makes my whole engine/gearbox removable very quickly....

Also i have made a gearbox cradle as well, this started by making a plate that bolted to the gearbox itself (the silver bit), and two rubber blocks sit between this bracket and the cradle...

So that is the engine and gearbox hung... they do need to come back out to fit my flywheel,new timing belt and clutch so i will repaint the engine bay and finish off the loose ends then.

In other news my engine harness is away being modified to run on the VEMS ecu which is also being built. So the project to build the Uk's first V8 Mr2 is well within sight now.

Because the engine sits a few inches into the cabin meant that the fuel tank was then too long and i didn't want a fuel cell up front taking away my last bit of storage space.So after careful washing out of the tank and letting it breathe for a fortnight, we cut the end off the tank,removd 3" from the tank and then gas welded the end back on.The tank was then leak tested and finished off with resin and 2k black.

3" was removed at the red line..... i estimate i have lost about 3/4 of a gallon but needs must

I made the camry V6 torque mount fit on the v8, this should help a lot!

Also i have boxed in around the engine now, just some angle spot welded in for now to give me an idea how it's all going to look....

With that done i plonked my seat in and it fits nicely and i have enough room even at 6ft tall.

Made some good progress today on the structural firewall welding, i got most of it boxed in and ready for seam sealing which will tidy up some of my pinholes, welding thick steel to thin stuff is a right pain! Also i routed the fuel filler hose which needs to go in the cabin side due to space issues....

The day ended with part of the unboltable lid made and bolted down, the face of the wall will be unboltable too and that small section missing from the right hand side top will be a hinged flap so that i can top oil up easily without having to unbolt anything...

So apart from needing to tidy up the welded seams on the wall and seam seal it all before painting i am pretty happy with this.

Also fitted my TD replica lid which will have some spals fitted under it, need to do everything i can on this car to keep the bay cool....

Here is the redone engine crossmember, i redid it in tubular steel bent to shape with strengtheners added at the ends... here it is fitted....

The gearbox is now out to carry out work on the rear crossmember, i am making the mk1 triangles into a mk2 style subframe to get some strength back into this area...

This is just the triangles welded together with the first of many pieces that will be added.

Ok a little update, my new rear subframe is now complete, it is now a one piece design like a mk2 subframe that ties the chassis rails together....

There are quite a few plates and trusses added to this...

On the cars original crossmember i added mounting points for the new frame.

And here is the new subframe painted with temporary rustproofing (i will get all of these components shot blasted and properly painted on final assembly)

This is stronger than before i reckon....

I also added some support trusses to the transmission cradle...

Also i have heard my ECU and engine harness are ready and should be with me shortly so although i don't get much time to work on this it is progressing along.

I have used a TVR T350 silencer as the primary box.I chopped the audi manifold flanges off and welded my own 3 bolt flanges on instead...

Then fed both banks into the TVR box...

The TVR box is mounted ridgidly to the transmission by brackets and will move with the engine, so no need for flexi sections until further downstream.From the TVR box i am going down through the floor where i will make up a left and right system with the final silencers on each side...

The boot wall will be rebuilt around the exhaust to give me some storage space back and the whole thing will be very heavily heat protected where i can...... how will this sound? I am not far off finding out! :)

Well my VEMS ECU and modified V8 engine harness came back from Hilly today, i have to say i am blown away by the quality of this guys work, and i haven't even plugged it in yet.My harness is immaculate with all unneccesary wiring removed and everything labelled up perfectly.Everything and i do mean everything is in this package, and to cap it all off he has written a full user manual on fitting and setting up together with a CD ROM with the software on it etc.

Top marks Andy, this has taken all of the hard work out of getting this running, sincere thanks mate.

I have finalized the position of my Apexi air filter, and i have mounted it right in the inner wing getting loads of cold air straight from the side vent.

To mount it here i unbolted the frame that usually holds the rubber ducting in place and welded that to the Apexi adapter.

The frame then bolts back in place and holds the filter perfectly....

The bracket/apexi adapter needs shotblasting and painting but i am pretty happy with this location.I have also bought some 3.5" mandrel bent aluminium piping and hose joiners to go from throttle body to filter.

I am in the process of extending my ECU harness so that it reaches into the cabin, it is important that i get it away from the engine bay heat, hilly has once again been a legend and sent me some shielding for the signal wires.

Other than that i have been waiting for my induction pipework to arrive, i needed some 3.5" alumiunium mandrel bent tubing and i just could not find this in the UK, so i ordered some from the US.... this is just dummy fitted, no clips or anything yet and attaches onto my "inner wing secret airbox" :)

I am nearly ready to pull the engine back out for the final time, prep/paint the bay and pretty everything up for the final build.

Well she is now inside in the dry for the winter and on the mobile lift, this means i can make massive progress this winter to get her ready for next summers show season.

Needless to say i have a ton of work ahead of me.

I got my exhaust system finished completely today, i changed my rear tail pipe type to these, turned out i just did not have the space for the larger twin silencers...

With the system tacked i took it off for seam welding...

I then got the wideband lambda bosses welded in along with my EGT probe boss.I am also wrapping my whole system to try and minimize heat in the engine bay/boot.

Just two more pipes to wrap and it is ready for final fitting, hopefully the noise levels will be acceptable!

Well today was a massive day.... ladies and gents i am proud to announce the MR8 is born!

We had problems finding a laptop crappy enough to have a serial port on it, in the end we dragged the office PC out and hooked that up to the VEMS, anyway i will let the video do the talking, the noise this thing makes is the most evil thing i have ever heard...

Well my 50mm thick aluminium rad upgrade solution arrived today... hopefully this will cope with whatever the V8 can throw at it...

Here it is fitted, still got top brackets to make...

All of my standard steel radiator pipework has been ripped out and much larger diameter aluminium pipes run from front to rear, so no part of the stock aw11 cooling system remains now.... well it's an MR8 now isn't it!

I have started to weld in the chassis bracing, strength is my number one priority regardless of weight on this build.This engine revs so violently i'm not going to take any chances.

After studying the audi cooling system (as it would be on the S8) i discovered an Mr2 coolant filler point was not going to work, the highest rated cap i can find for the Mr2 is a 1.5bar Sard cap, and the S8 runs closer to 1.7bar max pressure.... so using the mr2 filler neck was binned off.

So i needed to look at the VAG way of doing things, and took a punt on a VW golf custom expansion bottle, this will plumb up correctly to the V8 system and will have the S8 stock 22psi cap fitted, it's also a bit of eye candy in the engine bay.

More test running, this time with a fully sorted cooling system, twin 11" spal fans on my radiator, hooked up to the stock Mk1 rad switch/relays and VW expansion bottle with 22psi cap.

It ran for 15 minutes with no fans on, then when it hit 88* at the EFI temp sensor the rad fans came on slowly (first stage), the temp then climbed to 92* over the next 15 minutes (no revving at all so just letting it heat soak as much as possible), no water pump hurling the coolant round quickly, just idle.At 92* the fans kicked in to their second stage and stayed on, the temp rose to 94* at the EFI sensor for 2 minutes before dropping back to 92*, fans went back onto their first stage and the cycle repeated itself.

After this idle heatsoak test passed i let it get to 92* and then revved the throttle and the temp instantly dropped back to 88* so my cooling system is perfect for handling this v8.

I am still getting bad trigger errors during cranking and oddly at no other time? but this will be rectified soon.

I have started work on the rollcage/chassis stiffeners part of the project, all tubing is 42mm OD 3mm thick, so far i have made the roll hoop section and door bars which have all been tack welded in place, pics to come after the holidays but in the meantime here is the design i am going for.

Note the triangulation back to the rear strut towers, this is where i think it will be needed most.

Pics of the first work that has been done on my rollcage... just basic tacking together and getting it to follow the contours of the body for now, i am going to remove the whole thing and pretty it up before final fitting.

Also need to extend two bars backwards to the strut tops, and also thinking of tieing this into the v8 "box" section.

Well it was way before xmas 2009 last time i touched the car so i decided to selfishly leave the garage work for one day and do as much as i could to the v8.

After a few hours the engine and gearbox are now out of the car for the final time, only now can you see the structural work to the chassis that has gone on, you can see the new crossmember tied into the old one and the box section from the engine bay side. I have a lot of work to do here, seam welding, sealing and painting the whole bay out before the engine can go back in for the last time. I also have a lot of heat protection and sound deadening to add.

It all needs a damn good clean up as well!

Here is my baby...

Now that it's back out i plan on going to town on it, rebuild it with fresh gaskets, detail everything and port/polish those heads, i have already seen they aren't properly port matched to the plenum so i think i can get some gains in this area.

They look incredibly similar to 3vz ports, so if we get the same 15% gain on this engine with no cats and the standalone i "could" potentially be talking about 400bhp NA :) Although i would be incredibly happy with its stock 350bhp.

My V8 has now been tore down for new gaskets, detailing the whole thing and some headwork (350bhp NA just isn't enough , i'm shooting for 400 :) )

I have decided to ditch this massive pile of crap oil filter housing/cooler, it weighs about 6kgs and about 8kgs with oil and water in it... a total waste of time...

So off it came, i will plumb too flexi oil lines to those two ports instead...

My bores are in perfect unworn condition which i am very happy about, in fact the whole engines internals look like new.

Update pics from my work last weekend, i got loads done, all of the major fuel/vac/servo lines installed on fixed tubing/ P clipped up properly, along with the clutch line.... and the whole bulkhead area where the engine sits has had heat mat bonded to it. It needs a little tidying here and there but the bay is coming on a treat now...

Also my 034motorsport oil gallery adapter came, here it is fitted...

I had to make the heater line bypass assembly pretty much from scratch... i used a pipe with an O ring on it that fits the block snugly, then swung it 90*, stuck a securing bracket onto it and hardpiped it to the original heater line that would normally go into the oil cooler assembly..... i think it has worked out quite well...

I spent detailing more engine parts and fitting more new gaskets/seals.

I have spent so much time detailing now that i have decided to leave the plastic engine covers off permanently.

If you look carefully you can see my homemade camshaft locking tools in the rear shots, i am just waiting for my modified crank pulley to come back (new trigger set up) and the timing belt can go back on for good.

My engine detailing is now completed, i refurbed the top cover which looks spot on.

Also my transmission is now fully cleaned and painted, Anth mixed this metallic shade specially for it.

Today i got my new crank 60-2 trigger wheel and adapter boss back from the total legend that is Adamh of AH-CNC.... check out the attention to detail...

The man is god when it comes to engineering work like this.

Also i got my timing belt fitted and aligned, they are tricky belts to fit due to the floating cam pulleys with no keyway!

Another first for Mk1's here, i am running very big wheels on this car (for obvious reasons) and as a result some power steering would be a very nice option to have. I retro fitted a Mk1 years ago with a Mk2 system with all of its rack, pump, control systems etc etc, which worked but was all pretty heavy and i couldn't fine tune it. So this time around i have gone for a completely different approach.

Quite a few modern cars these days use an electric motor on the column to give a variable amount of power steering so i bought a Vauxhall Corsa column with this sort of setup and then proceeded to make a hybrid Mr2/Corsa steering column.

The lower half of this column is Corsa, the top half is Mr2, this means i can retain ALL of the Mr2 switchgear, my ignition barrel, the cowling, and even the adjustable rake will all work as before.

The icing on the cake with this mod is that there is an adjustable regulator box that plugs into the Corsa PS ECU, this is then mounted on the dash and i can control wether the system is completely turned off (will just feel like a normal Mr2 steering) or any amount of assistance can be dialled in right up to full assistance.

Now before anyone gets excited about the prospect of having power steering on their Mk1 i must stress i have other mods to do to the tube framing around the steering column on my mk1 so that this assembly will fit, so it is never going to be a kit i can offer unless your car is brought to me for surgery.

So i now have the worlds only PS equipped Mk1.... not that the V8 made it unique!

A good friend of ours called Jay who is really into his photography came to Woodsport today and had a bit of a play on my V8 engine....

I made an alternator bracket and adjuster from scratch. I started by cutting the mounting point off a 4age alternator bracket, just the pivot point part. I then made an angle iron piece that bolted onto the top two block holes, aligned the mounting bracket so the alternator was square to the crank pulley and tack welded it on.

Then made a lower section on the bottom two block holes as a support for the top bracket. Here is the completed alt bracket...

I also made a lower adjusting bar, nothing flashy, just a slotted bar with a 90* bend in it and pivoting off the block.

I have a brand new Mk1 alternator that i've been saving for a rainy day.... well today it rained :)

The completed alternator assembly... everyone's happy!

Just for giggles, here is my v8 next to a 1mz-fe that we normally fit to these Mr2s....

I have done a lot of work to the rear crossmember and added trusses to the sides of the pickup points for the subframe, this triangulation will give a lot more strength in a key area....

Also i took advice from an engineer on another forum and beefed up my alternator pivot bracket and added a manual tensioner at the same time....

I'm now a lick of paint away from refitting the engine and transmission.

My suspension subframe, gearbox subframe and air filter housing have all been shot blasted and painted.

I got the engine bay repainted, Supra Quicksilver of course, the colour the car is going to be when it's finished, and immediately hung the freshly overhauled V8....

As you can see i fitted the flywheel and new clutch assembly as well.

Not long after that the gearbox went on as well as the gearbox subframe and the new suspension subframe...

I made a mounting point for my oil filter relocation kit which also has my oil temp and oil pressure senders on it...

The air intake pipework went back on for the final time, still a few clips to add here....

Gearshift assembly refitted... i'm very happy with the outcome of this linkage, it just works really well.

Someone advised me to add a gusset to this area, now that my subframe is back on i can see i have space for that, so i will add one shortly...

I then plumbed everything up and added lots of finishing touches...

No self respecting Mk1 V8 would be complete without a Jimi bracket now would it....

The bay as it looks now, just the exhaust to rehang, add heatproofing here and there, and finish the boot off....

I noticed my oil filter relocation kit ran fairly close to the exhaust on the right hand bank, so i was just about to start making a shield for it when i found a spare Apexi air filter polished cover and would you believe it bolted right onto the filter housing with the two attachment bolts being in exactly the right place!

I love it when you just pick something up sometimes and it just works.

Final finishing off in the engine bay now, i have wrapped my silencer in aluminiumized glass mat in an effort to help keep heat under control....

I've also used sticky backed reflective foil on the side walls, this will also go on the rear aluminium wall when that gets fitted...

How effective will all of this heatproofing be? I honestly don't know, but it's got to be better than nothing.

For now that's the engine side of the project finished, i'm now working on the cars bodywork.
Last edited by Woodsport on Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

KIN HELL
What did you do after lunch then :shock:
That is a tremendous amount of work you have put in there and what a peach of a conversion.
That will upset so many people at the lights :D
Dont know anything about the Audi motor but it looks the dogs mate.
Great work you should be pleased with that.

cheers
Paul

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

I've gone dizzy!!!!

Not sure if its the whole concept of what you have done or the fact that I've got a huge boner on the go !! :shock:

Please Please tell me that you are not too far from Santapod to bring that car to the Retro Show in July this year Woody !!!

I does not matter if its not running... Just get it on our club stand for the world to see mate !!

I have a few MR2 mates who will fall over when they see this creation...

Big Respect to you Dude!!

Regards
Perry

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Good work!, when will it be finished?

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Woodsport

Post by Woodsport »

Thanks for the feedback chaps, the engine conversion itself is totally finished right now apart from more mapping time, it runs stinky rich right now on some rough base maps.

I'm in the middle of doing the bodywork which is taking a long time to do, i haven't included any of the body stuff in this version of the build thread because i figured this forum is only interested in the engine stuff, there are full length versions of the whole project on various Mr2 forums (fora?)
detailing the bodywork and other parts of the car like the Porsche brake upgrade.

So as soon as the body is painted that is the project finished, i'd like to think it's done before Retro show in July Perry, i'd be more than happy to bring it along, she drives now so as soon as i get her looking the part i'll be doing the rounds of shows this year.

The exhaust needs a rethink, it sounds immense don't get me wrong, and great for Youtube videos etc, but for everyday driving it would be hard to live with, it doesn't even sound that bad from outside the car, but inside it's pretty loud, so i've bought an Audi R8 rear silencer off Ebay, i'll plumb that after the TVR box, that has two vacuum operated actuators closing off one tailpipe in each pair so i can control the acoustics exactly.

In case it isn't in the build here is the car being "tested" around our industrial estate for a laugh a while back....

It has ridiculous torque, lights the rear up at 3000rpm but very controllable.

BMWE36V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BMWE36V8 »

Love it, my kind of build, cant wait to see it in the flesh.....!!!!!!

Mark
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Mark »

WOW 8)

That is superb, hearing a V8 sountrack from a MR2 will confuse the hell out of people 8-)

Will be very interesting to see what it makes on the dyno without the cats.

Keep the updates coming!
302 V8 Sierra 5 door sleeper under way

Woodsport

Post by Woodsport »

Today saw the old TVR exhaust system removed (just too loud!) and the start of fitment of the Audi R8 system starting with removing the upright supports to my crossbrace (yellow), these were right in the path of the new manifold to silencer pipes.

I will redo these to miss the exhaust pipes and repaint them, sometimes you have to undo a bit of your hard work to progress, such is the nature of an evolving project i guess.

Also i removed the last of the old boot floor (red), the Audi R8 box sits over the transmission in this area, i figure i'll have much better airflow around the silencer to keep things cooler anyway.

Here is the Audi box in place, i have removed the tail pipes, these will have to be rerouted behind the box, down and out the rear, a bit of fancy pipe navigation and flanges will do it, and the actuated valves will be staying, they're pretty cool and will help with low end torque... yes cos that's the one thing i need more of :D

So the boot is now totally dedicated to exhaust, bang goes my small storage area, oh well!

Flying Phil
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Flying Phil »

Excellent work and well thought out! Thanks for posting up such a detailed build thread.
Flying Phil

Woodsport

Post by Woodsport »

Thankyou Phil, coming from someone like yourself i'm honoured by that (yep i know your background!) :D

Woodsport

Post by Woodsport »

Today saw some good progress made on the new exhaust system, just to recap, i'm fitting an R8 rear silencer to get this thing sounding more like it should, the old TVR system was just deafening.

I made a mounting bracket for the R8 box and bolted that to the gearbox, the system moves with the engine so no need for flexi sections. Next i cut off the Audi V-band clamp and i tacked on the new V-band clamps complete, then made fresh sections to go from there to the manifolds, everything is just tacked for now.

Once the inlet pipes were made i started work on the outlets, tricky little buggers these, one pair has a vacuum operated butterfly which is normally open with engine off, and shuts when the engine runs on full vacuum at idle, this means as the load rises and vacuum drops these valves will open up gradually bringing the other pair of exhausts into play. Or i could snap them open with a VSV running from a programmable output on the Vems, so basically i could decide when the valves open, but i think i'm going to leave them plumbed straight to the manifold.

The bottom pair of outlets are just straight out, so i just needed to kick these 180*...

The symmetry here for me is important, it bugs the poop out of me if one side doesn't look like the other, so i spent ages telling Jay how wrong he was :)

With the bottom two pipes done i did the top two with the actuators on them....

I've staggered the overlap between the top and bottom pipe to make seam welding them easier, it also looks better.

This thing is fast becoming nuttier than squirrel poop, but i love the madness of it all.

From this position both pairs of pipes need to go straight down, have flanges put on them for three reasons...

1) Easy removal of the whole system later on if need be
2) I can change tail pipe design in future as the mood takes me
3) There is no 3, 1 and 2 were good enough reasons.

The next time i work on it should see the tailpipes tacked in position and i can start seam welding, we're looking forward to hearing it!

Woodsport

Post by Woodsport »

A nice diagram showing the stock R8 exhaust setup versus mine, practically identical pipe lengths from engine to silencer, loving what's going on inside that silencer too, should sound exactly like an R8.

Actually after studying that silencer in detail it's quite a work of art, at idle and off load with the flapper valve shut the gases are forced to take this route and have to enter every chamber within the system before exiting just one of the tail pipes, it's a very complicated exit path...

Now under load with the flappers open the bulk of the restriction is bypassed, some gases are still going into all chambers but there is a direct route out...

No wonder they sound so quiet at idle and howl on full chat, lovely stuff.

EDIT: It looks like both catalytic convertors are built into the rear silencer...

So it will pass any emissions thrown at it, or i could remove them by cutting open the chamber they are in, taking the CATs out and welding in straight pipes instead. The only problem there is that if it ever does need to meet stiffer emissions regs i would need to buy a new rear silencer, which i really don't fancy at £3500 a pop!

I think i'll keep them in there.

Nollywood
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Nollywood »

All I can say is WOW!

The whole conversion's a work of art, that 4,2 32V AHC 340 looks like it was meant to be there.

Awesome work. 8)
2000 Audi B5 420-R, Pelican Blue:Work In Progress.
2000 Audi B5 420-R DTM, Santorin Blue: Work In Progress.

Woodsport

Post by Woodsport »

Thankyou! I see you have a few Audi V8s yourself, fantastic cars.

Flying Phil
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Flying Phil »

I did wonder why you were replacing the TVR silencer - it sounded great on the video! But you have to be able to live with it on the road and the Audi R8 silencer is so sophisticated I'm sure the change will be for the best.
Flying Phil

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”