V8 FILTERS

PLEASE contact me before posting in here,
As i need to make sure what is being offered will benefit the members of the forum,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

slice

V8 FILTERS

Post by slice »

High Performance V8 Rover Engine Filters

http://v8filters.co.uk
Forum members will receive a 15% discount off the list price.

SLICE

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

Hmm, A filter I've never heard of - which could actually just be a cheap chinese filter and a testimonial from someone who lives round the corner from you.
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

something about these filters was posted a couple of months or so ago

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

http://www.v8forum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2150

Have just followed the links in that link, so what is it Land Rover filters or V8 Filters?

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Crikeys, is this the new hostility to new products and their inventors thread? Or am I missing something? Looks to me like this chap is trying to sell his new filters, which people should judge after they have seen and tried them.....

Maybe this is branding of the filters to appeal more to TVR and MG guys who dont want a big green filter that says "Land Rover" on it under their hood...
TC

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Cant questions be asked? How about we let the OP speak for his/her self?

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

I thought the filters were rated at microns or something or other, what is the micron rating of this filter?
From the gumph on the website is looks like it does not have a bypass, is this the case? If so it is possible for someone to starve the engine of oil if they rev is too hard when the oil is cold and therefore viscous?
(You could say well don't rev a cold engine too hard, I can not really argue with that! :D )
If the filter medium is super fine how does thos effect the actual flow of oil in general?

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

Well I'm trying to become more informed by reading the powerpoint slide show - but each slide takes forever to load.
Perhaps the supplier should put the slideshow on his own site with some decent bandwidth - which may give him some credibility.
Eliot Mansfield

slice

V8 FILTERS

Post by slice »

good morning gents,

wow! i didnt expect such a response so soon!!

well, heres answers to your questions and your reservations about my filters.

my filters are manufactured for me by the Fleetguard Corporation in USA.
I think i'm right in saying that Fleetguard is the largest and longest established filter company in the world.
Fleetguard is a division of Cummins (diesels). it is an extremely efficient, innovative and respected company.
You're right eliot! my testimonial is indeed from someone who lives quite close to me. he has had one of my filters on his 4.6 HSE range rover for nearly two years now.
i was gathering oil samples and test data from his vehicle during the whole two year period. i will gladly supply his mobile number if you wish to speak to him directly.

my filters are far from being "cheap and cheerful"
they are manufactured to comply with and exceed all of the relevant ISO Standards for filter construction, performance and integrity.

the reason they are more expensive than normal is because they incorporate a 5 layer pack of absolute rated, epoxy bonded glassfibre media instead of paper.

the single layer normal paper media filters can only be granted a "Nominal" micron rating due to the weak unsupported fibres which flex and move during service thus releasing previously captured contamination back into circulation.

Land Rover filters or V8 Filters?

yes indeed i do have two websites - it is simply a branding exercise... as TC rightly commented - a TVR owner or Cobra owner wouldn't want the green Land Rover filter under his bonnet.

Fundamentally the filter will of course operate just as well in land rovers or cobras/ TVR's because it was designed and built purely for that Rover V8 engine.

Sidecar came up with some great questions... the micron rating of my filter is 12 micron absolute. (this compares with a rating in the order of 40 micron for a paper filter).

Yes it does have a bypass valve. it opens at the same 10 PSI differential pressure across a blocked element as the original. it will also open up in the same way on a cold start - but close again as the oil warms up.
There is no chance of ever starving the engine of oil.

how does the finer media affect the oil flow?
It allow much more oil flow than with a paper filter.

as you can imagine there is a finite area within the filter canister.
lets imagine a situation whereby you were using baling string as a filter media. So much of the available area will be taken up simply by the bulky string fibre construction - in doing so there aren't many openings for the oil to flow through and ultimately be blocked with contamination.

Much finer, stronger glassfibre fibres means that theres a huge amount of openings in the media for flow paths and debris capture.

i have flow test capability figures for the original paper and the glassfibre configuration elements:-

paper filter rated flow: 4 GPM
glassfibre filter rated flow: 14 GPM

on a personal level...

1. i have worked in oil filtration & oil analysis for the last 23 years
2. my filter project has only just come to fruition after 4 years of development and testing - i am 100% confident with my filter performance and construction.

and to finish off...

i have driven over 30000 miles over the last 12 months in my V8 discovery and have gathered test data during the whole time. All of the results have been tabulated and can be made available for vewing if you wish.

the range rover has covered some 12000 miles in the two years that he has had the filter fitted.
Two quite different duty cycles but the results have both been very similar...the filter stopped engine damaging contamination from constantly circulating around the engine - thus dramatically extending the life of the engine and its components.

sorry to have waffled on and bored you all but i think i have finally addressed your queries.

i would welcome any more of your questions!

regards

dave
SLICE

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply, I guess people are a little wary because they have spent many hours and alot of money building their engine, I know I have!

Your filter does sound very interesting, so how much is one then? :D

(I have a 4.6 but with an SD1 oil pump and front cover, I must admit the oil goes black quite quickly even though the engine has only done 5k miles. It is always warmed up for 10 miles then after that it gets a darn good thrashing! I use valoline 20-50 VR1)

Pete

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

Thanks - can you make the PPT presenation available or email it to me at eliot at mez co uk
Eliot Mansfield

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

Can you also give the other parameters for the 4GPM and 14GPM because without the figures are ..... just that.

Andrew
4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

slice

Post by slice »

Hi Pete,

yes i can imagine that you are wary having spent so much time and money on your engine - i know i would too!
which is why i never considered making the filter myself... i wouldnt be able to sleep at night worrying about the consequences of a failure.
So...Fleetguard/Cummins make them for me.

Also, to put your mind at ease somewhat - just been reading in my Fleetguard/Cummins catalogue about their warranty and i quote:

" THE CUMMINS FILTRATION WARRANTY - If you are dissatisfied with the performance of any Cummins filtration product we will gladly replace the product free of charge.
WARRANTY: In the unlikely event that a product defect necessitates repair of the engine or components, Cummins Filtration will reimburse reasonable costs to repair or replace, whichever is less, the damaged engine or components"

so, thats the commitment from the manufacturer...

In regard to the oil becoming black... most of what you see is actually carbon (soot) which is as you can imagine a byproduct of the fuel combustion.
even with my filter your oil will discolour - but certainly not to the same extent. my filter will remove the larger particles of carbon from circulation but the finer ones will continue to circulate and discolour the oil.
This isnt such a bad thing though - although it may still look bad you can be confident that there will be no more solid engine-damaging particles in circulation, and, that what little carbon will still remain in your oil it is of a soft composition and as such is non-damaging.
The fact that you will have less carbon in the oil will in fact increase your oil life.
In normal operation the very small soot/carbon particles become enveloped by "dispersants" these are additives that coat the soot particles and keep them from coagulating together to form thicker sludges.
Less soot particles means less depletion of the dispersant additive thus longer oil service life.

list price of my filter is £27 so with the but I'm willing to sell it for £22 to all forum members.
Post & packaging is £3.75

I have had corrugated cartons specially designed and made to suit my filters - just the right size to include bubble wrap but not allow movement whilst in transit.
i send them Royal Mail 1st class recorded

pls dont hesitate to shout if you have any more queries or concerns

thanks for your interest

cheers

davd
SLICE

slice

Post by slice »

Eliot wrote:Thanks - can you make the PPT presenation available or email it to me at eliot at mez co uk
ok eliot will get to work on it now.

the file size is 85mb though (all of the images are high resolution unfortunatley) so if i'm battling then it may be easier and quicker if i just make a disc and post it to you (i live out in the bhundu so broadband is slow here too!)

i think the ppt can be converted to pdf which is a much smaller file. one of my sons did this for me last time but he's back at uni so i will have to try and do it myself.
will let you know how i go on

thanks

dave
SLICE

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

Dont spend time posting it.
My mail server should accept 85 meg - although yours may not.
or try zipping it up or ftp it somewhere.
Eliot Mansfield

Return to “Discounts Offered To Forum Members”