my first sub 10 second pass

Please use This Area For Telling Us About Your 1/4 Mile Times ONLY, Any Non Related Postings Will Be DELETED By Me Or Moderators!!!

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

my first sub 10 second pass

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
I decided I would post up my first pb with the slingshot when I was running below 10 seconds. . .
So today I did a 9.74 @143 mph that was jolly fun :D
Thanks to Kev, Karen, Perry and all they usual suspects for generally excellent weekend.
best regards
Mike

poppet valves rule!

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Wasnt this just a GREAT weekend Mike ??

OH!!
Welcome to the 9 second club ;)
It wont be long before you are posting up your 8 second run mate. !!!

I would have loved to have the last run in the slingshot but I was totally knacked today after the 10 hours of reapirs on the MG in the pits yesterday (and the 5 beers between 10 and 12 last night prior to my microwaved chicken chow mein for supper) and I wouldnt have had my slingshot head on for that last run. But the offer was appreciated Dude!!

I was happy to pop out a couple of 9's in the MG for my two shakedown runs today. I'm trying to decide if I was more pleased with the MG actually being able to run today after yesterdays problems, or having the new microwave in the trailer so I could have a cooked lunch of sausage and mash for £2.50 as opposed to a hot lunch from the Pod Cafe at £7.00 ??

Well done mate. I know what trials you went through this weekend to get the 9's, even with it popping and farting all the way. I think you are now beginning to realise just what the car will do when the fuel and ign is on song properly. 7's are now on the horizon Mike. We have around 4 months to bottom out the problems ????

Pel

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Perry
there is a lot of work to do here, I am still trying to decide how to get over the ignition cutting problem, whatever I do will be wasted spark, but I need to look very hard at how to fix this.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Coops says that Phil Ringwood may be with him at Retro for some tuning ??

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Yeah im going to see if I can get Phil to come along,
as will be the first proper outing with the car,
Im even willing to pay for his ticket if need be,
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

bigaldart
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by bigaldart »

Well done Mike, once you find the sweet spot on the tune up the eights will be there. Its all about the high speed to stop the popping and banging on these set ups.

Alan

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Hi Mike
What fantastic news!
Cant wait to see you run at the Retro show and its not long now.
Brilliant well done mate

P

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
retro show went a treat, on the Saturday I got down to 9.274 in and 143.
Sunday I did a first run of 9.18 at 143 again on the first run then a 9.165 and 147
60 foots are around 1.36 ish. with 330s around 3.8 to 4 seconds looking at the 60s and particularly the 330 ft times I think I need to go to a richer high speed lean out and get it to open a little earlier . . . if that is of any interest :? :lol:
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Time to test test test !! :)

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

bigaldart
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by bigaldart »

Hi Mike,

60's seem a little weak for what you are running, more fuel down low may be needed, how are you running the timing? If you have the facility to retard down track I would look for a little more of the line and back off down track. That said a typical junior fueler in the states runs in the 1.00 to 60 range with only 24 degrees locked advance, that tells me they are putting a lot of fuel in there. Molecules closer together = less advance needed due to quicker burn rate. A little food for thought.

Alan

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Al
Thanks, I think the issue is that I am still leaving the line with the throttle mostly closed and not flooring it until the front wheels return to the ground. . . I think you could well be right about the low down fueling but I need to sort the driver issue as it is masking everything else. The timing curve can be fiddled with to my hearts content, I am launching with 7.5 degrees of timing taken out and put back in over the first 1/4 second to try and avoid wheel spin on the line. . . that seems to work for the grip side but I will on that and the rest of the curve, Max advance is about 38 degrees at the moment, and about 20 degrees at 1800 but that again is a first guess.
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
a frustrating day Saturday that ended well. I got a 9.031 at 145mph so very close to the 8's. loads of oil downs and long ques but two good runs in the end. I also got the 60 ft down to 1.337 by launching with fewer revs on the line and slamming the throttle open, less wheelie so I didn't lift off as I launched. . . the next stage is to put more retard on the ignition for launch and for a little longer and try launching with the throttle fully open. Looking at the plugs yesterday I have gone one jet richer and set the high speed lean out to open at 85psi which should equate to about 5.8k revs.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

OOOHH!!!!

3 hundreths of a second off Mike :)

Its coming mate. Be patient now! We need to soften that launch a lot I think. If you can back the timing way back for the launch and bring it back in over 4 seconds or so I think that will calm it down. We already know that if the rail has too much on the launch it either wants to go tree felling or it wants to kiss the wall. Your timing ramp is like my nitrous ramp off the line. If I hit it hard the MG will be a demon off the line with a poop load of drama which looks great in the vids. But I took your advice and backed the ramp down to 3 seconds instead of 0.5 of a second and it runs quicker?? It may hurt the 60 foot a little but it pays off at the 330 foot mark and thereafter ;)

You have more power than me in a car that weighs half as much as the MG. So you CAN make up for a soft launch once you are rolling. How are those slicks doing? Have they got sticky yet?

Pel

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Perry
I think I will try .75 second ramp and 12 degrees of retard to start with when I am next out, and soften it further if it is still too much of a hand-full. Thinking about what you have said I will also put a small retard on the ignition on the gear change to stop it moving about so much when I do the shift. If I use 3 seconds I think I will be on launch retard for the whole of first gear, I can just give first gear a different map all the way up as simply.
The tires are getting good and sticky, my burn outs are much better since I have the rev limiter and I am rolling through more slowly. When the track is in good condition it doesn't try and go sideways so much, at the moment I don't have a problem with grip as I launch, the front wheels in the air is more of an issue, ballasting the front is a solution but I am concerned about overloading the front of the chassis where the ballast is at the moment I really want to get some weight in front of the front axle to balance out the weight behind.
What I need at the moment is runs so I can make changes systematically.
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Great stuff Mike, if you want any bits of thick steel for ballast just ask! I can shape plates for you if you want a neat job!
TC

Return to “1/4 Mile Times”