new PB for Kiwicar

Please use This Area For Telling Us About Your 1/4 Mile Times ONLY, Any Non Related Postings Will Be DELETED By Me Or Moderators!!!

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

new PB for Kiwicar

Post by kiwicar »

I may aswell post it. . .
in the slingshot, 16.98 @74.56mph and a 60 foot of 1.82 seconds. . for a chevy engined slingshot on methanol it is very slow. . . for me it was very fast . . roll on the 29th June when I/we do it all again.
And it is now quicker than the tow car.
Best regards
Mike

poppet valves rule!

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Get your timeslip data on the 1/4 mile table Mike !!

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi all
After a really fun week end at the pod I now have a couple of respectable times for the slingshot, Saturday I just got one run in with a 13.5 ish at 97 (haven't got the slip on me) which was fun and very satisfying as I did my first burn out, I had the tyre pressure out slightly so it didn't want to tack straight and kept letting go on the back end.
Sunday morning got up bright and early and got to the fire up lane for 0910 signed on ready to go . . . did an 11.9 at 113 but the big thing here was it went arrow straight and no drama, the first time I used the steering was to turn left to return to the pits, a really fun satisfying run.
back to the fire up lane for 1030 - 1100 ish and did a 10.907 at 113 (again) with a 1.42 60 foot, this run was an absolute blast a little more steering to do (.5 lb differance in tyre pressures), it seems to like about 4.5 psi, more than 5.25 and it lets go very quickly) but huge fun, it all got a bit busy though once through the finish line with getting the engine in neutral and getting it shut down, just stopped before I got to the field and had to be pushed back and into the return lane but what fun! I should have a video of the run from the cockpit put up today (excuse the swearing!)
Roll on Friday
Best regrads
Mike
poppet valves rule!

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

I'm just doing a vid to email to you Mike... It contains lots and lots of valuable info. This is the best vid of the rail that we have got so far??

You can stick it on here if you wish. But its a boring slo mo.

Talk later
Perry

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Perry
the vid I have is from my go pro on the side of the cockpit, it is interesting I think, I need to look at all the footage I can get though as ther is heaps to learn. . . not least, change up points, the run on Saturday you chaps said you reconed I changed up between 1/8 mile and 1000 feet, that equates to about 95 to 97mph from the timing slips, I must confess I just changed up as I felt the rev limmiter I set it to start limiting at 7800 and 50% cut at 8200 (from memory)
On both runs on sunday I tried to change up at the 1/8 mile or just before, I didn't feel the limiter but I did think the power was leveling off, which is why I changed (even though I was using 1/2 throtle) that acording to the timming slips was at about 95 to 97 MPH working back that is at about 7500 to 7800 revs, it is about what I want to do long term, but I think I need to get the rev counter working soon! :shock:
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
I think I will set up the camera art the week end to look into the cockpit and across to the wall so I can record where on the track I actualy change up, it all happens so quickly it is hard to be precise.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

hi
the link to the videos of the weekend is the same one as before

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gnuc0lc40g71loh/4c7yHnjmnS
the videos are at the bottom of the stills. . . I would go for the lower resolution versions if you don't want to clog things up too much!
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

bigaldart
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by bigaldart »

Nice first outing Mike, what size are the tyres? Pressure seems low for a modern tyre, we run a 33 x 12 x15 and are around 8 psi most of the time, hitting the tyre harder will probably help, also the burnout is short and they may still be a little cold. Get someone to check the tyre tracks I suspect you may be getting on the edge with the tyre cupping, go a little higher in pressure and it stays there for a while and then develops a full contact patch as the pressure gets higher, as it gets too high it starts to run on the middle of the tyre and lift the edges. 4-5 lbs is old school old tyres to me. What does the car weigh? A bit more pressure stops in wandering so much and bounces less under braking as you get the speed in the traps up.

I wouldn't worry about the shift points until you are full throttle all the way, what gearbox?

Alan

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

I took the Slingshot for a pass. My first problem was being wrapped up in a race suit made from a fookin horse blanket :shock:

Then they stuck a Scott of the Antarctic balaclava on me noggin?

Then my helmet and some goggles, then some tight gloves. I had only been in the car for 5 mins and I was getting ratty as it was 30 degree's and bright sunshine. By now I'm feeling pretty darned agitated.

Then they tie my arms down so all I can reach is the controls. We are now about 8 mins in and I'm already shouting at Jay and JJ to hurry the F88k up and spray the engine so i can push the button to start it..

Then i pushed the buttong and fired it up. A sudden calm came over me. For a couple of minutes whule warming the engine I felt cool and quite restful... The boys signalled the Pod staff that we were ready and then I got it into gear and tickled around to the burnout pad. I'm still wondering why I was so cool and calm. My main concern was why I suddenly gone cool??? Then as I reached the puddle it dawned on me. I was cool because my blood pressure had dropped and my adrenaline level had shot up. I was in "fight or flight mode" or to put it in simple terms, I was crapping my pants..... :shock: :shock:

My body was doing just what it should do when faced with iminent danger, prepare to fight for your life :)

Once I had realised this I was ok. I already knew the procedure for the burnout and staging so I just got on with it. Roll though the water in 2nd and give it a blip to spin them up. I stopped about 30 feet past the lights and backed up to get in stage. I held it on the transbrake and let it go on the green with about 2000rpm on the go.

The car left the line quite hard and then i did what my muscle memory told me to do. Give it some pedal.. Bad idea :) So i backed of and tickled it back in for a while, short shifted to 2nd and gave it some more.. Bad idea again. This is sort of when i realised that I had no idea how to drive this thing. Everytime I touched the pedal the tyres lit up and I was going the wrong way? So i decided to stay light on the pedal and have a gentle run. When I crossed the line I thought I may have run fast as it all went by so quickly. But it was 13 seconds or so which surprised me when the guys told me.. From inside the Slingshot I would have said I had run a low 10 at about 130mph because the world goes by a lot quicker in one of these things.
I'm now even more determined to get back in and do it again because despiteit being scary, its great fun as well :lol:

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Al
the tyres are 32X 14.5X15 and yes I am running them low 4.5lb , but that will change on friday I'll have a go at 8 psi and vary it a bit and see if it "settles" it down. Thanks for that, the only previous advice had been to run no more than 5.5psi and it sure doesn't feel right at 5.5lb. it may also get the car sitting at a better angle and lift the weelie bars a little so I don't hit them as soon as any power starts to go down. I don't know the exact weight of the car but I think it is in the region of 1450 to 1600 lb, I added up the component weights as I built it and I am sure it is less than 1600lb with me in it.
I will be trying for bigger burn outs aswell, but at the moment I am just glad to get the wheels spinning to order.
Perry is dead right about the heat and the rattyness before the engine starts, it is not nice. . .
I find it very difficult at the moment to focus on anything about what is inside the car or where the christmas tree is, everything else just seems to filter out as "noise" and becomes very difficult to respond to appropriatly . . . To the extent that when one of the mashalls was directing Perry to move back I thought he wanted me to re stage. . so I did (as you can see in the video) :oops:
Each run is just more fun than the last but the run out area at the end of the track seems to get shorter, and I need to stay focused on getting into neutral, getting the engine settled down and the fuel off and timing it all so I coast gracefully to a stop in the return lane. . .
I am sure I have not yet used more than 1/2 throttle and I am down in the 10s so there is a lot to come, launching off the line there seems to be lots of grip now (well compared to the first few runs) but even 50 yards out I seem to have to feed the throttle very gently or the wheels start to spin, everything tells me I should be able to get the power down I just need to work out what to do.
Thanks Al I think you have given me a direction to look for more grip and how I can work out if I am getting it.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

kev_the_mole
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kev_the_mole »

Go Mike go :D

It's an engine Jim.....but not as we know it ;)

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Thanks Kev
Any chance you will be heading in the direction of the pod for a few runs in the near future??
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

bigaldart
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by bigaldart »

Mike, if the wheelie bar is too low it will certainly unload the tyres and let them spin, our car is around 1600 lbs with driver so around the same. You should hook up well with those tyres at your power level and given the traction at the pod. Probably a combo of the tyre cupping and the wheelie bar, check out the tyres on our video.

Alan

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Alan
from the videos I have the tyres are growing far quicker than yours and it does look like the wheeley bars are hitting before the front wheels have lifted off the deck, I think I will get thebars mounted higher and see if I can stick some ballest at the front in the next few weeks.
Many thanks
Mike
poppet valves rule!

bones
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by bones »

Nice Mike, :D , doing well with the slingshot and i take it you are enjoying yourself, but pit crew look a bit dodgey :lol: rich

Return to “1/4 Mile Times”