new PB for Kiwicar

Please use This Area For Telling Us About Your 1/4 Mile Times ONLY, Any Non Related Postings Will Be DELETED By Me Or Moderators!!!

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
Thanks mate, yes It just gets more and more fun!
the pit crew are OK provided you do not get them wet or feed them after dark. . . . just need to find them some welding goggles, yellow T shirts and blue dungeries
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... w&dur=5031
Best regards
Mike

poppet valves rule!

bones
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by bones »

:lol: . i must agree pit crew uniform looks perfect. :D rich

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
I had a very good friday and saturday runs, it all started on friday with the engine running "flat" not wanting to pick up, this was traced to a dodgy connection on one of the coil packs, sorted and the next two runs were much better, best of the day 10.7682 @123.88.
Saturday was hidiously hot however I had a 10.0858 @ 125.25 which was nice :D
I followed it up with a 10.1224 @ 130.3Mph, which was also nice. . . on this run they put another car along side me, you know like a proper grown up drag racer! now to head for the 9's.
We started with tyre pressures at 9.5 PSI on friday and dropped them a little each run, instantly better grip from the first run and no tendency to spin up the tyre further up the track. We studdied the pattern on the tread of the tyre, at 6.5 PSI I seem to have hit a sweet spot, they grip like a deamon, the contact patch "Print" on the tyre right across the tyre now from about 3/4 in in from each side, there is a very even pattern of rubber movment from the centre out to each side of the tyre and it no longer tries to spin up the tyre.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Friday and Saturday were HOT! Both in the pits and on track.. :)

For those of you who have met Mike you best remember him as he is now. Because after a year of racing the slingshot he's going to be thinner :lol:

Friday was absolutely brilliant at the test and tune session. Only a small number of racers can sign on so theres naver anymore than 4-5 cars at the front waiting to go. That really takes the pressure off trying to get the slingshot prepped and ready to race. Saturday was a different story with a tight timeline for getting to have a run. But we adapted and made it happen.

Everytime we take the slingshot out we learn more, we make more mistakes and then we make new plans and procedures so we dont make those mistakes again. Its a great learning experience each time we hit the track with the slingshot.

I only ran the MG twice and could not break a 9. Best was a flat 10 but, it was 139mph which is one mph faster than my 9.81 PB?

The slingshot is getting dialled in now and Mike is getting better at taming the beast on the 1/4 mile.. :)

The 9's will come easy in the not too distant future. And the 8's will follow.... Possibly by the end of this season or certainly early next year.

I'm looking forward to having another run in the slingshot later this year because its like a scary roller coaster ! It scares the pants off me but I cant resist going back for another ride :lol:

Should hopefully have some pics and vids from this weekend up soon.

Well done Mike :)

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

bigaldart
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by bigaldart »

Really sorry to have missed you guys but I did see the MGB flash past behind our pit. Saturday in the hellish heat it took us almost the entire day to get the car to run properly, the newly repaired mag still didn't want to play, finally found a very narrow window where it would run just in time for the last qualifier at 6.45 pm having started at 9 am, taking it really easy it ran a 10.12, missing and popping but it got down track. Sunday morning we went for a full pass same settings and got a 9.99. Two cylinders out for the whole pass and just spraying fuel out of the pipes.
Back in the pits I decided to try something different and set the high speed to come in fairly early and see if it would clean things up a bit, that was an understatement, clean pipes all the way down, visible a very hard launch, then waiting for the scoreboard to light up, seemed to take forever, the magic numbers came up, 8.94 @141, 1.24 60 ft and a 5.60 @121 in the eighth. Cue mass celebrations!!!!
Next pass was the same until the top end where it didn't pick up at all and slowed to a 9.10 @136, inspection at the top end revealed a toothless blower belt, it had delaminated and shredded the teeth, dropped some in the drip pan, rubber dust all over the bug catcher and probably pieces of belt all over the Northamptonshire countryside. Pity as the early numbers were quite close to the run before despite it being much hotter.

Back in the pits we pulled the blower and checked it and the intake for debris and found nothing, Put it back together and went to fire it before heading down for our final pass, first turn of the stater a horrible loud clunking noise form the engine. Stopped cranking and pulled tthe plugs to check if any visible damage in the cylinders, nothing showed up on the endoscope so we spun it again without the plugs in, no clunking. Put the plugs back in and the clunking returned. Oh dear engine apart again, will let you know what we find.

all in all a fabulous weekend and I would recommend Dragstalgia to anyone.

Alan

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Al
Well done that is a very impressive time. Thanks for the pointers on the tyre pressure, the grip avaliable now is far more than at the lower pressures, I may try aroung 7 to 7.5 again though because although it did not seem to be using as much of the tread of the tyre than at 6.5 PSI it fealt more stable and less "bouncy" at 6.5psi especially when I started braking and "bouncy" is not fun! :oops: The launch definatly fealt harder at 6.5 psi but the 60 ft time was not as good, but that could be me as on the last launch the front wheels came off the deck and the car turned left on the wheeley bar and I lifted. . . .
I have to remember to plug check after each run . . . Alan, do you know how long a plug takes to register the mixture for plug checking? if I cut the fuel within 60 FT of the finish line which bit of the run am I looking at?

I hope the engine is OK
All the best
Mike
poppet valves rule!

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Well Done Alan!!

Big cheesy grin time eh :)

You will get the engine sorted and be back out soo mate.

Pel

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

bigaldart
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by bigaldart »

The grin is still there. Engine problems not too bad, spit a couple of teeth off the crank sprocket on the cam drive, got a nice vernier duplex waiting anyway, also the flywheel bolts had backed out and that was the clonking. A couple of bent valves maybe but we have spares anyway, a mere flesh wound! Glad to see you guys are getting a handle on the slingshot as well. Your old girl looked pretty good through the lights. Hey we ran an eight and the mag is still playing up, just wait till we get it fixed!!! What impressed me was the eighth and 1000ft clockings, how does 121 in 5.6 and 135 in 7.5 sound! Oh yeah and 0-60 in 1.36 according to Wallace.

Great weekend

Alan

JP.
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by JP. »

I wasn't there but saw it all happening on the webcam. Mike & Pel saw you both going strong :racing
Mike some pics can be found here http://multicapturephotography.zenfolio.com/p719675549 go to page 10 and look on top right corner. Couldn't copy paste them.

With some extension cords I got my whole PC set up in the garden and watched the whole weekend till the end. Flaming burnouts are awesome. ( see same photo album three last pages ).

Should have been there, was talked to come over, they even told me the new vintage Capri body Santapod Glow Worm Funny Car should be there.
Work wouldn't let me go. And a two day weekend is to short to make the long trip and miss most of the fun

Next year we will be there. We even consider to trailer the Capri and RWYB it hard and not to worry to break something and not getting back to Holland.
( hmmm its a '73 F250 so anything can happen...)
Like to beat my pb of 14 sec.
Figured out already... F250+ trailer aint cheap on the ferry, but as the Dragstalgia host sayed... Its all about the show.

You all did great !!
'73 Ford Capri. 3.5 RV8, Magnacharger 110 Supercharger, Merlin F85 Heads, Water/Methanol Injected
'73 Ford F250, 6.7ltr V8
Building a GT40 mk2

bigaldart
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by bigaldart »

It is a must visit event, fantastic weekend and the stuff in the pits is worth the entry before anything turns a wheel.

Alan

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

JP. wrote:I wasn't there but saw it all happening on the webcam. Mike & Pel saw you both going strong :racing
Mike some pics can be found here http://multicapturephotography.zenfolio.com/p719675549 go to page 10 and look on top right corner. Couldn't copy paste them.

With some extension cords I got my whole PC set up in the garden and watched the whole weekend till the end. Flaming burnouts are awesome. ( see same photo album three last pages ).

Should have been there, was talked to come over, they even told me the new vintage Capri body Santapod Glow Worm Funny Car should be there.
Work wouldn't let me go. And a two day weekend is to short to make the long trip and miss most of the fun

Next year we will be there. We even consider to trailer the Capri and RWYB it hard and not to worry to break something and not getting back to Holland.
( hmmm its a '73 F250 so anything can happen...)
Like to beat my pb of 14 sec.
Figured out already... F250+ trailer aint cheap on the ferry, but as the Dragstalgia host sayed... Its all about the show.

You all did great !!

Fantastic JP!
Mike will love the pics on page 10 :) The second one needs to be framed and on the wall in his hallway at home.

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

bigaldart wrote:The grin is still there. Engine problems not too bad, spit a couple of teeth off the crank sprocket on the cam drive, got a nice vernier duplex waiting anyway, also the flywheel bolts had backed out and that was the clonking. A couple of bent valves maybe but we have spares anyway, a mere flesh wound! Glad to see you guys are getting a handle on the slingshot as well. Your old girl looked pretty good through the lights. Hey we ran an eight and the mag is still playing up, just wait till we get it fixed!!! What impressed me was the eighth and 1000ft clockings, how does 121 in 5.6 and 135 in 7.5 sound! Oh yeah and 0-60 in 1.36 according to Wallace.

Great weekend

Alan

Flesh wound indeed mate. A quick clean up, bung a few spares on, slap some JB weld here and there and its back out and running ;)

Whens your next visit to the Pod Alan??

Pel

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

bigaldart
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by bigaldart »

More than likely same time next year, it is a long tow and too expensive a proposition for a RWYB, car not tagged so MSA meets are out for us.

Alan

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

bigaldart wrote:More than likely same time next year, it is a long tow and too expensive a proposition for a RWYB, car not tagged so MSA meets are out for us.

Alan

Maybe I can do another visit to York then ??

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

bigaldart
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by bigaldart »

York is good, think our next outing will be the Bank Holiday meeting at York.

Alan

Return to “1/4 Mile Times”