My Dutton Melos

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

marcjagman
Getting There
Getting There

My Dutton Melos

Post by marcjagman »

I'm not generally the most organised person in the world and often forgetful, old age? so some things may be out of sequence. I bought my Melos last year, 2010, for the princely sum of £50, but what a mess it was. Unfortunately I didn't take any pics of what it was when I bought it but as I've been stripping it down/fixing I've started taking some, here goes.
No interior except for column and steering wheel
Rear wings extended by 2 inch each side to accomodate Scimitar axle.
Front wings were damaged and gel coat was cracked. Removed gel down to the fibre glass then reinforced underneath and a layer on top to fill the gap left by the removal of the gel coat.
One side done, just.

Next came the chassis, a Dutton chassis is poorly made as no jigs were used, just chalk marks on the floor. As the V8 didn't fit some minor alterations were needed which were simple enough. I had to cut some square tube out and replaced it with some seemless 1 inch tube 2 inches further forward.
ImageImage
This is it painted, bngs and waxoyl have since been inserted in the open tube ends.
Image[/img]

the front suspension has been replaced with some Spax that I had in "storage". New poly bushes fitted wherever a bush is.
That's it for now, will hopefully get some more pics up as I progress.
Andy

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Keep hold of that oil filter / pump if you decide to change it as it's unusual. Not even sure where it's from!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

marcjagman
Getting There
Getting There

Post by marcjagman »

It's ideal to get the oil filter out of the way of the steering rack, it came with the engine, I believe it's an ex MOD housing. Couldn't work out what weny in the 2 outlets, probably an oil cooler, so I'm fitting an SD1 housing with a remote fitted.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
Judging from the thread here http://www.v8forum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9222
that'll be a 101fc oil filter and pump.
Mike
poppet valves rule!

marcjagman
Getting There
Getting There

Post by marcjagman »

Managed to get a Scimitar axle, from an SE6a, which even came with the coilovers for £100 which I didn't think was too bad.

Now got both mountings welded in place and allowance to shim about 1/2" either way so I can get the axle central when the 4 link arms are connected. Also got some Scimitar alloys fro £30 in quite good nick too.
[/img]http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... ton027.jpg

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

Your're doing a great job but suggest you keep one eye on the IVA manual unless it has already been registered.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

marcjagman
Getting There
Getting There

Post by marcjagman »

Already registered, IVA is a pain in the rear already had dealings from other kit cars I've built.

Return to “Your Garage Scene”