Toyota Hilux Mk3 RV8

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

csr
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by csr »

Heres one we built earlier.

It's a while ago but I should be able to remember stuff.

Think the springs are + 12" or there abouts and 3" on the body
Very pretty machined alloy spacers - don't buy an "off the shelf kit"
You'll pay too much for a load of useless stuff you don't need.
Someone on here will be able to get some alloy machined up and I think we have the longer bolts still.
Think the tyres are 39 1/2 x 18
Discs all round and hand brake on the rear prop (don't do this - use Sierra calipers on the axle)

There are some problems to get over with fuel injection but nothing
a bit of thought can't fix. We went for the polished alloy swirl pot and lift pump solution
rather than try to modify the tank.
Have more pictures if you need them.

You only realy need 2 shocks on an axle but he just had to have 4 so we
made the 2 spares look like they were doing something.

If you want it to drive safely, you have to stop the axles swinging about so that means
stopping twist and latteral movement. We still have poly bushes and tube to do all this.

There are some pit-falls and some people you need to avoid.
Not going into it here but if you PM me, I'll tell you.
You know what I mean - experts that are just not and want your money above all else.

Just some of what we do

Risky

Post by Risky »

:D
Crazy looking truck, that was a few bob I bet.
All i'm doing is a very basic engine swap. I have the majority of the parts required and with any luck it should be pretty straight forward.
I was going with the Efi system but I now have an Edelbrock carb and manifold (weber 500/performer)
I get differing opinions regarding carbs over Efi, however for simplicity I will go with the carbs, I can always do the Efi later if I choose.

Headers may be an issue. I have a set that came with the engine and other parts, but also managed to get a full SS system. Hopefully the headers at least will clear the chassis, possibly a bit of modding but fingers crossed.
This week should see the engine nigh on back together, possibly take the old engine out during this week?

I suppose it's a case of get on with it and cross each bridge as it comes! :?
What could possibly go wrong?

csr
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by csr »

It was a few quid - think it was about 17 grand to do in the end and he did a lot of the donkey work him self.

Was sold to a chap in Scotland quite recently for 13 1/2 grand.
Before we launched into it, we looked at lots of trucks all over the place to get ideas but almost without exception they were a mess.
Believe me when I say there's nothing in the country even close to the quality of this one.

The fanymoulds could have been a problem but we got very lucky.
I bought a pair of V8 manifolds at the Newbury Land Rover jumble thing without realy knowing what they were.
They just looked useful and they were cheap - the bloke didn't know what they were either.
Turned out to be V8 into Hilux. Had to take them apart and re-weld so they missed the chassis cuz they weren't quite right but nothing too serious.

One thing that I can remember that might save you some hassle.
The old Milner design for the engine mounts now sold by some other muppets, is absolute rubbish, don't cut the original mounts off the chassis as they suggest.
The original Hilux mounts will in fact line up with the bolt holes on the Rover block so your bracket can be very simple and neat.
Might have a picture if you need it.

One last thing - you'll regret using that carb - you might as well bash some holes in a bucket - be more accurate.

Just some of what we do

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

"One last thing - you'll regret using that carb - you might as well bash some holes in a bucket - be more accurate."
wise words!
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Risky

Post by Risky »

csr wrote:It was a few quid - think it was about 17 grand to do in the end and he did a lot of the donkey work him self.

Was sold to a chap in Scotland quite recently for 13 1/2 grand.
Before we launched into it, we looked at lots of trucks all over the place to get ideas but almost without exception they were a mess.
Believe me when I say there's nothing in the country even close to the quality of this one.

The fanymoulds could have been a problem but we got very lucky.
I bought a pair of V8 manifolds at the Newbury Land Rover jumble thing without realy knowing what they were.
They just looked useful and they were cheap - the bloke didn't know what they were either.
Turned out to be V8 into Hilux. Had to take them apart and re-weld so they missed the chassis cuz they weren't quite right but nothing too serious.

One thing that I can remember that might save you some hassle.
The old Milner design for the engine mounts now sold by some other muppets, is absolute rubbish, don't cut the original mounts off the chassis as they suggest.
The original Hilux mounts will in fact line up with the bolt holes on the Rover block so your bracket can be very simple and neat.
Might have a picture if you need it.

One last thing - you'll regret using that carb - you might as well bash some holes in a bucket - be more accurate.
Thanks for your information. I'm getting various different bits of advice about carbs over Efi, Efi over carbs etc.
I'm just looking for a simple V8 in the truck. just the sound and not really interested in top end or acceleration, anything will be better than stock!

I'm not going offroading and silly lean angles will not be an issue, nor will taking it through rivers etc.

I see plenty of V8's doing fine on carbs so that is why I took this route over the injection.

As for the engine mounts, I have a few brackets/mounts supplied...ideally leaving the original mounts would be the ideal way to go...can I see your pictures of those engine mounts? xx

Thanks for the advice. We really love our truck and it is a worry to be ripping out the standard engine and replacing it with what could be a world of headaches!

csr
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by csr »

Your falling into the trap of thinking that carbs are are easy.

Easy is fitting the EFI system, turning the key and it starting and running fine for the rest of your natural.

Granted, the original SU or Stromberg options are a bit lame and needles have to be changed if you fit free flow filters - K&N etc.

I can say with some confidence that fitting a large 4 barrel thing will result in endless dicking about.
They work ok flat out but not at low revs. If by some chance you manage to get it ok at low revs,
it'll go week and melt something at sustained high revs.

It will also use about half as much fuel again as the injection system doing the same work.

All this said - fueling is not going to be your biggest problem - keeping it cool is.

If you PM me your email address, I'll dig out some more pictures. Your welcome to any I can find.

Just some of what we do

Risky

Progress so far.

Post by Risky »

Here's where i'm at, coming on Ok but no doubt the real fun/headaches start soon.

Engines getting there, still plenty of things to do but starting to look complete.

Attacking my truck, fingers crossed and away I go

Out with the old motor

Clean up the bay area

So coming along nicely. I'm now thinking ahead at the issues of fuel pumps, ignition coils, oil coolers, radiator, electric fans, sump clearance issues?...header issues...timing of the ignition and carburation...fitting gauges, oil pressure, water temp, RPM etc..etc etc :idea:

Risky

Post by Risky »

Progress so far...

Cleaned up the chassis and front axle..

Slap round a bit of Hammerite..

Slipped in the motor..

Happy with sump clearance..

Fits nicely, bit of lining up and fettling a few bits around...

NS headers will fit lovely eventually, OS are gonna be a pain but I'll get them in..

Risky

Post by Risky »

This is where we're at. Few bits to sort out but shakedown runs are going very well.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Looking very good.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Risky

Post by Risky »

ChrisJC wrote:Looking very good.

Chris.
Cheers Chris. I'm pleased so far with how it's turned out, still a few more bits to play around with but she's nearly there. It runs a lot smoother and pulls clean from 15mph in 3rd so i'm chuffed with the driveability of the truck. All in all it's turned out well and even behaves in traffic jams with no overheating issues. :D

Return to “Your Garage Scene”