Toyota Hilux Mk3 RV8

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Risky

Toyota Hilux Mk3 RV8

Post by Risky »

Hiya

Here's my project that i'm just starting on. We have a lovely old Mk3 Hilux that is in superb condition. Trouble with it being so straight is we now have a truck that 'we're loathe to take off roading!
Done a bit, does what it should in the mud and shite really well but when you come back and find scratches appearing on the mint paintwork it's a bit of a pain. To us it seems to good to ruin her.

So the decision has been made to change to 2.2 petrol motor, juicy and under powered, to something a bit more substancial, well more to the point, something that sounds and looks the nuts :D .

Our truck.

The new toys
My engine hoist
Bit grubby
Bit of a wash and degrease
Started to strip and clean
Not too shabby internally
Cleaning up nicely
Happy with that
Cleaning up the block
Coming along nicely
That'll do for today!

What could possibly go wrong?

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Very nice job!

Are you ditching the fuel injection?

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Risky

Post by Risky »

ChrisJC wrote:Very nice job!

Chris.
Cheers Chris.
I wasn't planning to ditch the injection, seems like the way to go. Got all the wiring I believe and the ECU...happy days.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

As well as the newspaper across the valley, I'd plug the inlet ports with kitchen paper. Don't ask why. :oops:
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Hi Phil
What did you use to clean the outside of the heads with please?
P

Risky

Post by Risky »

DaveEFI wrote:As well as the newspaper across the valley, I'd plug the inlet ports with kitchen paper. Don't ask why. :oops:

Was it that bad :wink:

Risky

Post by Risky »

gelmonkey wrote:Hi Phil
What did you use to clean the outside of the heads with please?
P
Initially degreaser, that was a bit lame so then used petrol on a paint brush to get the ground in grease lifted. After that I used alloy wheel cleaner sprayed on. It was all a bit of try something and see what worked better.
Once happy it was mostly clean of grease I set about it with a wire wheel on the drill.
I washed it down with a light spray of petrol and used compressed air to blow the petrol away/wiped with clean cloth. Took a while but it was a cruddy old day so just tinkered :D

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Risky wrote:
ChrisJC wrote:Very nice job!

Chris.
Cheers Chris.
I wasn't planning to ditch the injection, seems like the way to go. Got all the wiring I believe and the ECU...happy days.
Good stuff. Just remember that all the components are at least 20 years old now, so you need to make sure they're all good.

Ramon has some great in-depth articles based on the SD1, and I uploaded the Land Rover EFi diagnostics (120Mbyte!!) here:
http://www.cowdery.org.uk/downloads/Fla ... ual.tar.gz

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Hi Phil
Never thought of using alloy wheel cleaner.
Anyone else got any good tips on bringing up ali like that?
Cheers
P

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

I've said it before
Fairy power spray followed by dishwasher.
On a slightly serious note, brushing petrol onto a surface and then blowing it off with compressed air is a very good way to kill yourself if somthing goes wrong ie a spark, even in the open air.
A mate about 20 years ago was cleaning engine cases at the side of his house as you described, petrol, paint brush then compressed air then the compressor started up when the tank pressure dropped, 3 weeks in intensive care with burnt lungs (you inevitably inhale some vapour) and 35% skin burns he bearly survived.
I have been known to stub fags out in jars of petrol to freak people out for a laugh, I do not blow petrol off a surface with an airline!
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Risky

Post by Risky »

kiwicar wrote:I've said it before
Fairy power spray followed by dishwasher.
On a slightly serious note, brushing petrol onto a surface and then blowing it off with compressed air is a very good way to kill yourself if somthing goes wrong ie a spark, even in the open air.
A mate about 20 years ago was cleaning engine cases at the side of his house as you described, petrol, paint brush then compressed air then the compressor started up when the tank pressure dropped, 3 weeks in intensive care with burnt lungs (you inevitably inhale some vapour) and 35% skin burns he bearly survived.
I have been known to stub fags out in jars of petrol to freak people out for a laugh, I do not blow petrol off a surface with an airline!
Best regards
Mike
Serious note taken on board!

It is small amounts and slowly slowly.......probably not the greatest idea but I got away with it, this time. :shock:

Cheers.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
Use parrifin if you want to use an air line, that won't ignite even with naked flame under the same circumstances.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

There is a loverly 327 chevy small block on eurodragster at the moment, £250, needs a rebuild but a 1k or so would sort that out . . . . come on over to the dark side you know it makes sence!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Risky

Post by Risky »

kiwicar wrote:Hi
Use parrifin if you want to use an air line, that won't ignite even with naked flame under the same circumstances.
Best regards
Mike
Having a few litres of petrol/diesel mix shite I had sitting around I cheaped out and used that....Hmmm, Parrafin may be the way to go. :D

Risky

Post by Risky »

kiwicar wrote:There is a loverly 327 chevy small block on eurodragster at the moment, £250, needs a rebuild but a 1k or so would sort that out . . . . come on over to the dark side you know it makes sence!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:
Best regards
Mike
NO NO NO.....I've started so i'm gonna finish!

Maybe in the far off distant future I may sniff around something else but in the meantime.....ROVER! :D

Return to “Your Garage Scene”