Trickys TR7 V8 update

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Trickys TR7 V8 update

Post by mgbv8 »

Some of you have met Tricky with the bright Orange 5.2 TR8 !!

Well last year I got him to a PB of 11.4 with a 50 shot of gas. But he lost out big time due to the TR7 just tramping all over the gaff.

See here:

Then put put some softer rubber on the back and it was a bit better.

But still climbing and dipping due to soft suspension?

He was not happy with this so he decided to take the quantum leap and pull the TR down to the bare bones for a complete rework!!

He has slowly pulled thr TR apart but on his own he was struggling to get stuff done. So me and the Mild Bunch arranged to meet at Tricky's and get him motivated.

So 6 of us turned up at his workshop last Saturday and stripped the poop out of the TR7. We made up some brackets to mount the TR on the tilter he had so we could get it upside down.

He has a really funky FIA cage that needs fitting as well.

We turned up and got stuff moving. But the blizzard hit and we had 10" of snow between 11am and 4pm.

But we had good fun anyway.

Heres a link to my mates download of the day so you can stroll through the pics as I have no idea of how to get these onto photobucket quickly.
http://www.familywest.co.uk/rapid/TR7Day/

But here is one I took near the end of the day

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Pel,

Good on you, nothing like a bit of outside assistance get a project going, or upside down as the case may be, or was that a case of Stellar :lol:

Obviously the car has a lot of potential but was being let down by the chassis, from the slowmo vid earlier this year you could even see the front sub frame moving about from the way the front wheels were moving in the wheel arch.

A good cage will help a lot especially if it is tied in with the suspension pick up points, the standard rear ones for the trailing links are fairly weak and definitely need beefing up.

The front sub frame may possibly be better located by some harder bushings or may need some positive additional location.

I look forward to further progress reports.

Kevin.

bones
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by bones »

nice, so things looking good for 2011 then and the return of the tango 8. :) rich

Boosted LS1
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Boosted LS1 »

You could convert the front end to lower wishbones and ditch the roll bar. I did this on mine. It was a big improvement. I also converted the rear to a lower 'A' frame which is very good for track work but I'm not sure how well it would work for drag work.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
at the back end an A arm/ trailing wishbone and two trailing upper links can cause the axel to progress at either end under hard acceleration loads. Imagine holding a stick in the middle and describing a small circle at one end, the other end does the same but 180 degrees out of phase. As the suspension squats it causes the casing to rotate slightly, if both sides are not loading exactly the same amount the one squatting more unloads slightly loading the other side setting up a silght osscilaton which rapidly builds causing an exagerated axel tramp as the tyres alternatly load and unload. The system works well on a circute car as it allows the axel a fair amount of travel and freedom from binding as all the locating links are spaced well away from each other, but that freedom works against you under straight line acceleration.
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Boosted LS1
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Boosted LS1 »

On my car the 'A' arm is mounted to the TR7 lower mounts behind the seats. The apex of the A is mounted below the diff housing via a spherical arrangement. I have upper outboard trailing links which locate between the spare wheel well and the chassis irons. This set up gives me neutral steering on the road and very good location. Side on it looks like a watts linkage so with exagerrated suspension travel it could give rear steer, lol but in reality this isn't happening. If I keep this set up I'll probably fit a snubber but if I fit my 8.8" then I'll think more about a drag set up.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
That is what I thought you were describing. Should work well on a short car like the TR around a track, you probably get a degree or so counter steer from the back making it feel very stable in turns and point nicely on the throtle.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Return to “Your Garage Scene”