supercharged v8 3.9

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

slims-v8

supercharged v8 3.9

Post by slims-v8 »

hi guys, im in the starting progress of building a supercharged with 3.9v8 with my uncle, i've already aqquired the engine, and the manifold, and the only problem being is im unsure of what charger fits onto the manfiold?? the pictures are as follows, any help would be gladly recieved

cheers mark

Last edited by slims-v8 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I can't answer directly, but that manifold looks home-made to me, i.e. somebody has modified a standard manifold to take a charger.....

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

slims-v8

Post by slims-v8 »

rite, sorry guys have uploaded the pics, but looking at it im guessing it is homemade, because the ally square block on the top has been tigged all the way around,

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

The plate doesn't look square on the manifold from those pics?!

I reckon it is a standard twin carb manifold, and the plate is to fit a 3-71 by the size and bolt pattern?
TC

slims-v8

Post by slims-v8 »

topcatproduction wrote:The plate doesn't look square on the manifold from those pics?!

I reckon it is a standard twin carb manifold, and the plate is to fit a 3-71 by the size and bolt pattern?
sorry that went *wooooosshh* all the way over the top, i get the bit that its doesn't look square on the top, and partially about a twin carb manifold, but a "3-71"?? thats gone right over the top, sorry sp's are new things to me ha ha

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
GMC superchargers come in different sizes, based on the length of the case, the other dimentions are the same. A GMC engine, which gmc superchargers were originall designed to scavange have a standard cylinder displacment of 71 cubic inches, spun at the same revs as the engine a 3-71 will scavenge a 3 cylinder engine (they were 2 stroke deisels by the way), a 4-71 is for a 4 cylinder unit, a 6-71 and 8-71 are obvious up to a 14-71. The point is that the basic supercharger is the same regardless, the end cases, rotor dimensions the lot just the length of the case (and rotors!) changes. A 3-71 displaces 213 ci (about 3.49 litres) per revolution, usefull for about 12psi boost on a 3,5 litre rover spun just under 1:1.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Thats the home made manifold from Ebay isnt it? I had it on my watch list for about a week or so back. I'm sure it is a normal twin carb mani that has had the top cut off. Still no reason why it wont work though?

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Perry
are you thinking of sticking a blower on the MG now? One way of getting all that nitrous to go into the cylinders :lol: . Run it on methanol and you should be able to leave the line with 4 foot flames comming out the ends of the headers :twisted:
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

Hopefully he would be saving his pennies for this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DRAG-CAR-TVR-POWE ... 4aa6b92c6e
4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog