New project

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Hi John
Flowcoat is basically a gel coat with a wax built in.
This wax takes out all of the styrene out of the geland leaves a satin finish.
Normal gel coat is still sticky once it has cured and this stickyness provides the chemical key for the next coat if you are putting another coat on.
We 'kill' the styrene with acetone if we are going to rub down.
The idea of using it is twofold.

1 It seals the exposed laminates.

2 It just gives that final finish which looks a whole lot better.

Cheers
P

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
Well a long time since an update, but here we go.
Thanks to Perry Reg and Jay, we finally, after months of trying, got it started! what a noise, crisp would be a good start but even for a methanol engine this one has a real bark to it. unfortunately after three of four runs (a total of about 6 or seven minutes running) the engine tightened u, not sure why and unfortunately it is going to be an engine out Jobie to find out what is wrong :?
Over the next few evenings I will strip off the fuel system, the inlet manifold and the headers. The oil system should strip off with an hour or so of work ready for pulling the engine on Saturday afternoon. Lets hope it is something simple and it can rebuilt on Sunday!
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Despite a few teething troubles with battery supply and a couple of backfires which have left me minus a good bit of hair......It started !!!

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Ha Ha!!

I told you that the meth backfire helped bring out my natural Blonde Reg :)

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Mike

Was that you and the car heading out along the m40 yesterday morning. Towed by a RED USA truck?

If so it looked great as I passed you in the GT40

Cheers
Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

No Ian

We were at the Pod early on Saturday. And have only just got back :)

I'll post up some pics and vids on Mikes Slingshot later this week. But I will say the KiwiCars Slingshot did its first ever full pass on the strip today. Theres no timing data as we were not looking for anything other than a clean pass. We just did a roll through the lights at idle and then Mike added very very light pedal to tickle it down the track.

Perry

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi All
I did my first run on Monday, as Perry has said (I was too kn@ckered to post up anything yeasterday) It wasn’t a proper full stage and launch, I stalled it on the line 4 times trying to stage :nutz but it was a run, and after all this time it comes with a huge feeling of relief and achievement for me and the rest of the team to have done it. It is a big mile stone for the car and all those who have helped and suported me and put in many hours of their time over the last two and a half years many thanks to all.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gnuc0lc40g71loh/4c7yHnjmnS
The car runs straight and true, it goes like stink even on very low throttle, and giving it 1/4 throttle about half way to the 1/8th in low gear it started to spin the wheels, it needs properly hot tyres! :oops: and I haven't learnt to burn out yet! I don't know how fast it is but is really is a very quick way to get from A to B oh and oh so much fun :racing
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Congratulations!

I bet your face is sore from smiling!

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Ian
You have no idea of the emotional roller coaster the weekend has involved. I would say that buying a budget 3.4 hp mini starter is money thrown down the drain, having fried one and had to replace it with an MSD on Saturday. Getting it to the start line Sunday and having a back fire that blew out the sump gasket and replacing it Sunday night. The racers and staff at the 'pod were briliant, I had someone who offered to lend me his chevy starter off his car on Saturday to get me going, John was was his name and he is an utter star. The 'Pod crew could not have been more helpfull and encoraging. . . and Perry, Karen (wife), Reg, Jason, JJ and everyone else who came along to offer support were fantastic.
Best regrards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Hi Mike
Yes aren't racers and spectators great at turning up and pulling out all the sts when you least expect it.

I had the same thing when I raced Formula V a number of years back and sprung an oil leak. The scrutinisers said no more that day. I went and bought a burger and when I returned the car was in bits and the oil pump removed, resurfaced and sealed before the next race. (Which I won!) the scrutinisers would not take on about 30 drivers and mechanics!

When are you next planning atrip to the Pod as I will need to visit again.

ian

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

Nice one Mike - congratulations!
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Eliot
Many thanks, this is going to be a fun beast to run, though there does not seem to be much time to watch the scenery go by. . .
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

JJMclure
Getting There
Getting There

Post by JJMclure »

Excellent stuff! Good to hear it's made it down track ok
don't nibble on the barrel, pull the trigger!

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

Missed this !! excellent news that it's been on the track !
So thats where it went !

Return to “Your Garage Scene”