New project

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

New project

Post by kiwicar »

Hello one and all
a few of you Know of this already but I may aswell come clean now, I have stopped building the Mclaren project, for many reasons but most related to the shear cost of building a road leagle kit car, it is being moved to the side of the garrage to be compleeted as a purely competion car when I retire.
To the new project
I am about to collect a chassis off Roy Wilding a week on Sunday, it is a 168 wheelbase slingshot dragster built for 7.5 second spec. It is going to have the SBC in it which I have built up for the Mclaren with an all forged bottom end, RHS 235cc ally heads, a 253/262 at .05" lift mechanical roller cam with a dry sump oiling system, pretty much all done. Megasquirt controlling the sparks, which I have, and mechanical injection (still to get)into a sheet metal tunnel ram inlet (which I have). I have a glide on the way from the states with a 2.03 first gear, which will hopefully arrive soon. Roy has fitted a 9" ford aftermarket axel case for me (which is new, I have still to get the gears, probably with 4.11 final ratio and 35 spline axels. I am aiming to have it ready for the track for the beginning of 2012 and to run like this for the first season, with the addition of 200 to 250 bhp of nitrous for the season after. This will be my first go at dag racing and I expect to scare myself silly, I intend compeeting in the wildbunch series and probably either ETII bracket racing or competition eliminator A/D class (I think but you try sorting out the classes, it is doing my head in!). As always I would welcome any input from you guys, as drag race cars are new to me and I think the best brains around post on here. To start with I would welcome any input on the above spec? Anyone on here know what spec tube do you recomend for the front axel on said slingshot with ford spindles and a torsion spring front suspension with leading links?
I shall post up some pictures of the new chassis when I pick it up and the build as it all goes together.
Best regards
Mike
Last edited by kiwicar on Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poppet valves rule!

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

phew im glad i dont have to keep tight lipped about this anymore :lol:

good luck mate, if you need any crew when built give us a shout. :wink:
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Blimey that was quick!
Yes Tony I will need crew, your name is first down for crew and It would be briliant if you are willing to work with me on this.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

:wink:
Would Roy not know Mike regarding the tubing???
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Tony
I will ask him on Sunday if I don't get an answer before then, I don't want to call him now as it takes up more of his time and I have taken up alot of that over the last few weeks. I was hoping if I got an answer before then, if I can I could start tommorow on this bit as I have some CDS tube in the garage.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

bones
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by bones »

Nice one Mike. Straight in at the deep end ,cool. I cant help with anything as i dont know anything, but i am a very good spectator. :) rich

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Rich
I thought going for a slingshot was a good plan because I hate getting my knuckles skinned on body pannels when I am working on an engine and I wouldn't have to lean over anything to get at it. I am not sure that is the best basis for deciding on a project, but that is mine. So deep end it is should lead to some interesting times :?
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Coops wrote:phew im glad i dont have to keep tight lipped about this anymore :lol:

good luck mate, if you need any crew when built give us a shout. :wink:

Me too!!
I'm going to be the first to see the chassis next Sunday.. ner ner ner ner ner :lol:

Straight in at the deep end indeed Mr Oates 8)

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Certainly Perry, got you down as the third member of the team. After a killer of an afternoon's work I now have space in the garage to fit it in. At least with you two around one of should be a able to show me how to do a burn out with no front brakes and launch the thing :shock: :lol: :shock:
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

No front brakes for a burnout Mike :D :D
Shame they wont let us rely on old skool procedures eh??
Get into the water and have a few mates trying to push back on the chassis while you snap the tranny into action to get the tyres to let go quickly :lol:

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

looks like the forum will be flying the flag in a few classes next year at the pod then :wink:
Regards Tony C (COOPS)

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

mgbv8 wrote:No front brakes for a burnout Mike :D :D
Shame they wont let us rely on old skool procedures eh??
Get into the water and have a few mates trying to push back on the chassis while you snap the tranny into action to get the tyres to let go quickly :lol:
I have this image in my mind of a dragster crossing the line with two of the team standing on the weelie bars hanging on for dear life at 150 and the driver puzzled as to why his car was a bit slow off the line :?
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards Tony C (COOPS)

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

have to try a rolling burnout mike

or stick a broom handle through the front wheels wait for it to lock against chassis etc then theres your front wheels locked :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards Tony C (COOPS)

bigaldart
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by bigaldart »

Nice one Mike,

Front axle is normally at least 3mm wall thickness. You will be happy about the weight on the front end anyway. Make sure you build in plenty of caster, Around 18 to 20 degrees is normal for a slingshot. The wild bunch is a great place to start, I would imagine you will fit into PRO ET which is very competitive, you will need to be able to run within a few hundredths of your dial in to be competitive. As for comp eliminator, well!!!! To be competitive in A/D you will need to run 6's and nitrous is not allowed!!!! Just getting on the track in Wild Bunch and dialling the car in will be loads of fun, so worry about the rest later.

If you are going mechanical injection then run methanol, it is much easier to tune than petrol. Get the system flowed to have a good starting point and its much simpler than a carburettor. Flowing the system is without doubt the best money you will ever spend. Good luck, we intend running as many Wild Bunch meetings as possible next year so I will be over for a nosy. Just come and get us if you need a hand with anything, The guys are really friendly and you will get all the help you need in Wild Bunch if you just ask.

Alan

Return to “Your Garage Scene”