New project

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Evening All
Progress is very good now as the tub has been gelled,the laminates cut and this evening the tub has been fully glassed.

This first shot shows how the gelling went and the glass ready to apply.

The second shot shows how to combat laminate slump as the tub kind of returns back on itself.
Once wet out glass is quite heavy and gravity will always do its best to spoil your fun so what we do is cut little sections and then pull them back on the outside of the mould and then masking tape the bits back.

Go around the danger zone and we end up with this.

This will not affect the curing of the glass in any way BUT will help you do it once and do it correctly.
Just a simple thing to do but not generally thought of when glassing an awkward section.

Working like a loon all of the glassing was completed with two buckets of resin and a bit of elbow grease in 1 1/2 hrs.

Finally we end up with this.

Once trimmed it will be left in the mould for at least ten days but the next bit coming to you will be the releasing of the main body section which has now cured and is ready to pop out.
If you want to see that going on then come back Monday evening and see if I make a complete goon out of myself or whether it does come out as planned (OH dear god dont fail me now :lol: )

See you later boys.

cheers
P

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Ok I know its late but here we go with the release bit.
So all bolts removed and right away the mould started to pop in some areas.

Spreaders to the fore we went in at the front end and the lower section literally fell off and the top section came away sweet as a nut aswell.

You can see from this next pic that the split lines are quite good here with only a small amount of work to tidy things up.

Moving to the back of the mould you can see very easily how important the fence positions are.
Much simpler to understand now you can see how this all works with the final panel.

The side rails sucked popped and banged but these too came away with no problems.

Going good so far!!

Now the main section, was it going to be a pig like last time ?

Lots of spreaders in at the back and down the sides.
If you look closely you can see how the spreaders actually help to lift the panel out of the mould as you work your way down.

With all of thr edges released it was time to see what was going to happen so a bit of a tug and bit of muscle power this happened.

WOO HOOOOOOOOO.

TFFThat :lol:

So there you have it, a fully released main section that in truth does need a very small amount to make it good but its almost like a professional would do it.

Mike you better get busy mate as we are almost done down here.

Catch you later guys.

Cheers
P

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Brilliant Paul!

Your blow by blow account makes it sound easy.

It looks like a really professional job.

Would you mind putting the bit on a scale and letting us know how little it weighs?

Thanks
Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Hi Ian
Yeah can do that but it wont be tonight as I am going out to see the Australian Pink floyd with my mate the Cave Troll but will do it tomorrow for you ok

cheers
P

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Nicely done, sir!
If you had struggled with the release of the main section, would an air line blowing down between the mould and the piece had any benefit to aid release?
Cheers,
John

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Hi John
We only really use a PCL coupling when a closed mould is used or when it is impossible to get all the way around.
Also used for moulds when the sides are vertical and a flat base it used.
The reason there were slight issues before was that the plug was just a little shy on strength and the mould had shrunk down very tight to it.
With this being an open mould trying to blow air down the main section would have just resulted in blowing dust around.
I have to weigh the main section tonight and post up that info so will also take a pic of a closed mould and show you the pcl fitting tapped into that to explain my words a little better.

cheers
P

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Paul
That is looking nice, I am about in Sync for the bodywork now. All the other paneling is ready apart from the dash and wind deflector on the scuttle, and that should be done at the weekend. Pretty well all the chassis work for this first season is done, wings airdams and splitters are for next year. With luck I should be able to get it out the garage and put wheels on it very soon, if not this week end then next, just need someone who can put tyres an rims without bending the rims (yes some hope!).
So It's brakes, fuel system ignition system and oil system to do, parachute fuel cut off . . . . ye still alot to do but less than there was!
Best regrads
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Mike

What sort of end speed do you expect to get out of this?

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Ian
with the engine I have in it's current form I would hope for around 8.5 second runs (well eventually), it should certainly have the power for that, I think that works out to around a 165 mph through the trap.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Mike

You need to make sure your steering is better than this
http://www.motorsportretro.com/2012/03/ ... val-crash/

Ian

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Hi guys
Well could not weigh the body as the batteries are dead in the scales but will find out and let you know.
I estimate that it is no more than 20lbs but I could be wrong.

John
Here are a few pics of the PCL fittings in our KVA base moulds.

Does what i said earlier make any more sense now?
(Not that it ever does)

Cheers
P

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Ian
Not sure there was anything wrong with the steering as such, trying to drive an altered on a very narrow hill climb track however is just asking for trouble, especially on 2.5" wide slicks on the front, he is just barking!
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

kev_the_mole
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kev_the_mole »

Australian Pink Floyd
They rock! :D

It's an engine Jim.....but not as we know it ;)

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

kev_the_mole wrote:
Australian Pink Floyd
They rock! :D
When we went to see them I said to the Cave Troll what would be my ideal musical evening with regard to what tracks they performed and they did every one and a few others that are not that well known but still favorites of mine.
What a brilliant evening out and well worth the money.

cheers
P

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Paul,
yes thanks, makes perfect sense.
Cheers,
John

Return to “Your Garage Scene”