New project

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi folks
Had a busy weekend, early saturday got up and went to the garage that ususly does my MOTs and the loverly chap in their tyre bay put my tyres on my wheels, spent the resy of saturday sorting iout steering, drilled and popriveted the under tray and had another go at sorting out the starter mesh on the flex plate.
Come sunday morning and started draggine it out the garage. . . .

Out in the sun put the front suspension on and added the wheels

If you look closley you can see the "driveshaft cover with removable inspection cover" you would not believe how much work went into that :lol: .

Added the side panels and the scutle top and stood back and. . . it looks like a dragster!! :shock: :D

This looks like it may become a reality!
Best regards
Mike

poppet valves rule!

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Mike

Congratulations that looks fantastic.

Now when is the big fireit up date?

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

That looks so so nice Mike!!

Retro Show shakedown is looking like reality now eh ? :)

Perry

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

What is the wheelbase /axle centres on the car???

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

You must be ecstatic Mike! I'll have to pop along again in a couple of weeks, congrats again it looks great :)
TC

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
Looking to fire it up at the start of June and get it at a basic set up and tune, I'm hopefull to be at the retro show to do a first run, or better still runs.
The wheelbase is 168" +-1"
I am very pleased with the front wheels, with the narrow slicks on the black rims I think they look just right.
There is still heaps to do but it is getting there and the jobs list is at last getting shorter.
Thanks to all for the kind comments, I am very pleased with how it looks.
Be good to see you Tom if you have the time, just be warned I may give you jobs to do while you visit :lol:
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Mike
That looks wukin fawesome mate.
Am trying hard to get your stuff down here finished post haste but boat work is getting in the way big time at the moment.
Am going to try and get cracking again tomorrow evening if the bloody phone stops ringing.
Can I give you a call later on in the week please ?

cheers
P

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

kiwicar wrote:Hi
Looking to fire it up at the start of June and get it at a basic set up and tune, I'm hopefull to be at the retro show to do a first run, or better still runs.
The wheelbase is 168" +-1"
I am very pleased with the front wheels, with the narrow slicks on the black rims I think they look just right.
There is still heaps to do but it is getting there and the jobs list is at last getting shorter.
Thanks to all for the kind comments, I am very pleased with how it looks.
Be good to see you Tom if you have the time, just be warned I may give you jobs to do while you visit :lol:
Best regards
Mike
what is the track width on the rear end Mike. I need to know the distance between the inner edges of the tyre treads so i can see if the dyno rollers will take the car?

Pel

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Paul
Still lots to do, I will not be waiting on you for a while so keep your priorities, boat work is what pays the bills so please don't worry. . . Though I am really looking forward to seeing the body work on the car, it is not every day you design a car :lol:
Hi Perry
the track at the back is 44" with 14.5" "tread" width so the insides are 30 inches apart and the outsides 58.5 +- 1" I can measure when I get home, but I still have to fit brake discs also the tyres bulge a bit beyond the tread area. . . the body/chassis between the tyres is 25" wide and there is about 1 1/4" between the inside of the tyre where it bulges out and the side panel, at the moment.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Perry / Mike

If you are going to Perry's normal dyno place that could be time for a dyno day but at the same time I am not sure how they will get the rear tyres on the roller (They would have to have a hole cut in the rear wall ot their unit!)

By the way Mike does it run any form of radiator? or is it just nor running long enough to overheat?

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Ian
The plan (as far as it goes) is to run it up at that dyno, it is about a mile nad a half from my house, so will be simple for me. The big thing is I am not quite sure when I will be ready, first week of June hopefully but as yet I can't tell there is still a bucket load to do. Perry Is very kindly putting in the ground work for me which is a really big help. I think he is planning to have atleast one of the Stevenson team cars there at the same time!, well I hope he is otherwise I'm going to start feeling very guilty.
The engine does not have a cooling system in that the block is dry. . . I will however be running a dry sump oil system, and I will have an oil cooler on that aswell as about 12 pints of oil, further although I will be running a mechanical roller cam and roller rockers I will not be putting in the restrictors in the oil flow to the valve gear. I will also be scavenging the valley area. The aim of this is to provide a bit more oil flow than normal in that area and therefore more cooling from the oil ssytem.
Also I will be running methanol and a run all in lasts about a minute to a minute and a half from fire up to shut down with full throttle time of about 2o to 25 seconds (Burn out, Stage and actual run) I am told that there is no need as if anything if left too long at idle or "in stage" the problem tends to be running too cold not too hot.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Hi All
After a complete FUBAR start to the day and crap weather it was back to the ranch to get the tub released.
Exactly the same procedure as before with spreaders,a hammer and a lot of luck and this was how it all came out.

Again the split lines are neat and have only required a little bit of a going over and there are a few small gel repairs to do on the edges but nothing major at all to worry about.
There is very little to do now apart from a bit of final finishing and then a coat of black flow coat over the insides of the panels to keep it all neat and tidy.

cheers
P

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Well here it is ,the final installment of the fibreglassing bit.
All of the little finishing touches have been done and a good final polish up has been completed.
All that was left to do was to flowcoat the insides of the panels and this is what they look like now.

So that's it all done.
Mike is coming down to Plymoiuth on Sunday to collect everything and I guess the next time you see some pics the body work will be on the car.

Thank you to everyone who has taken an interest in my ramblings and work and for all of the kind comments along the way.

Cheers
P

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Magic!, can't wait to see it on the car.

Lets hope that Mike doesn't prang it after all that work!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Magic work, mate!
What is flowcoat and what is it for?
Cheers,