New project

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
Many thanks to all for the good wishes, plans now are to run it at the two RWYB at the pod in June I am going on holiday next week and have to do a few jobs on the car before another run. Then I will be at the RWYB on the 6th July and the retro show on the 7th and if that is sucessful Dragstalgia on the folowing weekend. It would be realy good to see any one who can spare the time to come along and say hello. I have a big white trailer, a green and white tent along side and the slingshot somewhere areund there and a jeep to tow it and I am normally found next to Perry's MGB.
Best regards
Mike

poppet valves rule!

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

6th and 7th July will be a cracking weekend Mike. But its going to be a busy one again mate!!

I'll be wanting to do serious shakedowns and fuel set up for the MG as well on the Saturday so I can do some strong passes on the Sunday in front of the home crowd ;)

RWYB on Saturday for set up and testing. Then Sunday 7th for Retro Show to see if you can do a soft launch from the tree.

Once we nail that final bit of idle to main fuel transition you can do some gentle launches.... BUT!!!

Then we have to get you through some burnouts before we can even think about giving it any beans from the start.

I'm going to ask the race director to cast his eye over us again on 6th July and see if he will talk us through the burnouts etc.. I'm pretty sure that when you eventually get to the stage of doing observed runs for MSA that Ian will be the one to witness your performance for your licence runs. So if we can get him involved at this early stage it will be beneficial.

I guess we should get the chute fitted as well before Retro. And maybe think about the wheelie bars at some time in the near future??

If we get through the Retro weekend unscathed, then I'm going balls out for my flat 10 second pass at the DragStalgia weekend event. 8)

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
right a brief update,
she finally runs! on saturday I managed three runs up the quarter mile, slow as anything (well if you ain't sat in it that is) but I managed three proper stage and timed runs. the quickest is 16.98 @74.5 MPH yes slow, but still dead exciting! Perry says the 60 ft time of 1.82 is very good considering I used about 3500 revs maximum in the whole run and left the line on about 2k . . with the front wheels in he air, that was not intended!
I have until the week end of the 28th to get some wheely bars made, then it is a case of trying a burn out and get some grip and get the times down.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

kiwicar wrote: I managed three proper stage and timed runs. the quickest is 16.98 @74.5 MPH
My Landie is quicker than that! :oops:

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
yes ok that is only just quicker than the Jeep. Anyway it is not the car it is the driver. . . it feels incredibly fast, and until I can get some heat in the tyres it spins the back wheels really easily :shock:
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

kiwicar wrote: Anyway it is not the car it is the driver. . .
Here you go - http://drivingsecrets.com/
4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
That looks an interesting read and later I may well get it . . . but I think the main problem at the moment is lack of experiance with the car. . . I have driven it a total of 2.75 miles in 4 runs and it feels very fast! :shock:
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Thats because its big go kart !!

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
Back into the garage for the winter rebuild. I have posted elsewhere about the collapse of the front end so it is basically a full strip of the chassis so I can jig it up, chop off the old front end and weld on a complete new front, probably adding 12" into the wheel base while I am at it. The engine and gearbox are out, the wiring loom is off, back axle is still in as I need that in place so I can center and square up a front datum for the front axle and place the front of the chassis correctly.
Once that is done the brake peddle mounting needs re-doing, and several other jobs, then off to powder coat. There is a list of jobs on the wall. . . The oil system needs more attention as the methanol is still rotting the O rings and it drips oil. I am thinking about getting the heads ported and matched to the inlet manifold.
I need to do an engine strip to check how things are going, I hope there should be little to worry about but it is all new territory to me as to how the bores stand up to the silly rich mixtures I am using.
It will also get painted over winter, still not sure of what colour though.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
A bit of an update.
engine stripped and inspected, I am going to have to get better roller rockers another one failed, just pushed the adjuster out the rocker stripping the thread so it's off to the Jesel or Comp cams catalog, expensive! I will strip the rest of the engine in the next couple of evenings and get it over to Dave Knight to get the deck and heads checked, there was some blowing of the gaskets, and I don't know why, while it is there I'll get a re hone and re ring it.
The chassis table is made. a very big thanks to Jason and Perry and JJ the chassis is up on there and bolted down with the cross members out and the front chopped off so time to get the tape measure out.
New brake pedal box is made
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Return to “Your Garage Scene”