My Supercharged V8 Capri Conversion

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

JP.
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by JP. »

So, we'll see you comming up sunday. :racing

I won't bring my V8 as with my new business, I have more money going out than in so I bring the more economical 2.6 Turbo.

'73 Ford Capri. 3.5 RV8, Magnacharger 110 Supercharger, Merlin F85 Heads, Water/Methanol Injected
'73 Ford F250, 6.7ltr V8
Building a GT40 mk2

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Afraid not mate,
needs mapping first before its driven any further,
As soon as I have a date I can make plans to appear at the track again,

Doing some intercooler mods this week removing the big 40 mm cosworth one and fitting a 65mm wider but half the size height wise, but same width to allow some cool air to the rad when the fans are on, as still not happy with the temp gauge so high in traffic and fans staying on,
I know its the intercooler causing it as was fine with no intercooler,
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

Rossco
Moderator Gold
Moderator Gold

Post by Rossco »

unstable load wrote:That must feel good!
Well done, mate. Especially with the setbacks and hassles you experienced. They must have really tested your sense of humour at times.
Oh if only you knew the half of it.

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Rossco wrote:
unstable load wrote:That must feel good!
Well done, mate. Especially with the setbacks and hassles you experienced. They must have really tested your sense of humour at times.
Oh if only you knew the half of it.
Don't go there Rossco :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

servo vac pump now all fitted 8)
pump2.jpg
pump1.jpg
Regards Tony C (COOPS)

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

I wouldnt be relying 100% on that pump for braking assistance.

Why are you not just using engine vacuum as normal ?

I've found those pumps on many modern cars, but they always seem to be assistance pumps, not fully standalone sources of vac for the brakes. I've added one to my car to help when using ALS.

Volvo use a simple 3 way tee piece with vac switch built in to turn the pump off/on ( via relay of course )
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Due to cam overlap the vacuum is well low at low down revs. and pedal is rock hard.
This pump is wired at the moment via the brake light switch and of course a relay looking at fitting an Inline vac switch but not paying £80 for the volvo one that I got quoted for,

how does the Volvo 3 way switch wire in and plumb in mate?
also which pipe goes where?? and the wires ?? they just used as a circuit for earth side of relay??
as may try and source one cheap and try it
Last edited by Coops on Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards Tony C (COOPS)

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Must be a very big cam ?

The switches are cheaper off ebay etc, I got one with the wiring plug still attached. I got mine from a Latvian breaker as they were cheapest.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-S60-XC7 ... Sw3mpXMdXJ

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OEM-Volvo-S60 ... Sw4A5YwF1g

I did consider wiring to the brake switch, but I wanted to ensure the servo always had vacuum regardless of whether I'd put my foot on the pedal or not, otherwise there could be a delay in giving assistance.

Also, I'd put a check valve in there if you havent already. Or maybe the OEM fitting at the servo contains one ?

It's weird how many new cars have these pumps, they seem to be used across many marques, both petrol and diesel. Unless there is some sort of rule that the brakes must be able to work even if the engine dies.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

crower mechanical 50305 cam mate
https://www.crower.com/camshafts/buick- ... 4-fdp.html

yeah there's a non return valve on the servo hose fitting, was also one on the engine vac take off point,
have sent a message to the guy with the valve you posted,
just need the plug from somewhere now lol
Regards Tony C (COOPS)

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

Without wishing to open a can of worms, but wouldn't a high overlap cam be used in a n/a application rather than forced?
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Coops wrote:crower mechanical 50305 cam mate
https://www.crower.com/camshafts/buick- ... 4-fdp.html

yeah there's a non return valve on the servo hose fitting, was also one on the engine vac take off point,
have sent a message to the guy with the valve you posted,
just need the plug from somewhere now lol
I reckon if you shaved off the locating bits, any regular 2 pin mini timer type plug would fit. I just pulled the pins from the connector and fitted new pins with my own wiring, so that shouldnt be a problem. But it's just a normal Bosch type plug aside from the locators.
It was just handy that the seller listed the one I got with the wiring plug still attached

the cam does seem like a rather big choice though, even more so for a boosted setup.

I thought you'd talked about something much milder before ?
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

Rossco
Moderator Gold
Moderator Gold

Post by Rossco »

Latest pictures of the Procharger

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

yes the cam is a bit big agreed,

but we are experimenting with it, it drives real good on the road and takes off like a flippin rocket,
yes we know some boost is being bled off,
but it pissed the emissions on the MOT, and it revs its nuts off and keeps pulling, can only see what happens,
we went up a couple of pulley sizes to allow the rotrex to match the 7k engine rpm but we only made 380bhp at 3psi (made 404bhp with 12psi on old engine)
we have changed back to the original pulley which has pushed us back up to 10psi at 6krpm, but that's nearly the red line of the charger,
hence the new procharger going on which will give us more boost than required also allowing us to hit the engine red line and get the best out of all of it, and bleed the extra boost off via the ecu and boost controller in theory we should have more boost in the bag if we ever need it without changing any pulleys etc just up the boost controller,
we knew going for such a wild cam was risky with boost but we are happy so far, if it fails we can always change the cam :lol:
But honestly happy with how its running at the moment,

Regrading the 3 way valve, have one now Stevie thanks mate, and all plumbed in and working (think its the right way round)
:lol: :lol:
Regards Tony C (COOPS)

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

On my valve...one side is servo, other engine and the one opposite the switch is for the pump.

I did try bleeding off boost...but when doing so it just never felt nice so gave up on it. Run whatever boost it makes.

And if the cam is doing everything you want of it...that's excellent. That's exactly what a cam should do ! ( and not always easy to get )
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

A little play last night with a chevy owner as passenger,
Regards Tony C (COOPS)

Return to “Your Garage Scene”