Opel Manta V8 Project

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Derek
That is looking really good and thank you for the up and under shots of the car.
They will come in handy when the time comes if decide to go the four bar route.
I see you have got a 5 stud conversion on the front,got any info on that for a poor Devonshire person?
Not sure sure about the exhaust hanger you have got in there at the moment
would a bungy cord be better :lol:
Keep up with the work and soon you will be out there on the road.
Cheers
P

Muscle-Manta
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Muscle-Manta »

Derek,

I wouldn't bother trying to explain anything to Gelmonkey-face. As he quite rightly admits he is a simple janor and wouldn't understand you anyway!

His car is well known as a "garage queen" and would be more suited to the rear axle out of a Reliant Robin!

stagcar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stagcar »

LOL :lol:

as far as i know the 5 stud conversion uses ford hubs with volvo 4 pot brakes but i may be wrong. the brakes are volvo for sure!

When i get the front wheels of to do the brakes i will snap a few pics for you sombody will recognise the bits i recon..

Garage Queen? you got me wondering now LOL what is it?

As for the exhaust hanger i recon its a clasic! just got 3 new chery bombs to fit now so should be able to finaly get shot of the old seatbelt that sombody used..

Got a fair bit of painting to do first tho. at the moment i am just sorting out the headlights doing a twin imitser conversion so whould look cool when done well beter than a busted square one me thinks.

Cheers for all the good words tho give me a good boost.

Gelemonkey i have got an old reliant back axle up my mums house if you want it LOL

Cheers all

Derek :D
Rust rust and more rust

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Derek
A garage queen is a car that has been in build for ever and rarely sees the light of day.
My car has spent a long time in the garage and within weeks will be out on the road.
He never considers my feelings you know and I really don't like him that much.Do you know the first time I ever met him he forced me to drive that old jalopy he calls a car.
I had to have therapy after that you know

Muscle Manta is jealous because his garage is just a scabby old lean too up against the side of a equally dodgy nissan hut he calls home.
As for the Reliant Robin axle I would be interested in purchasing it from you so that when Muscle Manta and I meet up again I can give it to him as a gift.
Well, he needs a decent camshaft and that will fit the bill just perfect methinks :lol:

This simple janner not janor, please take note of the correct spelling, does need monosyllabic explanation from time to time but does have a basic understanding of a few things regarding cars and modifying.

Will look forward to more pics.
Keep going
Cheers
Paul

PS MM I sincerely hope your next poo is a hedgehog.

stagcar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stagcar »

:lol:

Very good mate i feel for you

Sounds like you have been through a lot drivng strange cars and all that..

All the best mate

Happy easter evrey one!

Cheers
Derek :D
Rust rust and more rust

Muscle-Manta
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Muscle-Manta »

Derek, Oh dear.....Poor old Gel-monkeyface. The years haven't been kind to him. The old memory is starting to go. The therapy he underwent after driving my car was to get over the "shock and Awe" of driving a superb creation he knew he could never hope to match.

I must stand corrected on my spelling of "Janner" well done! Praise where praise is due. However I would like to point out there is no such thing as a "Nissan Hut" the correct spelling is "Nissen" please see here http://www.corrugated-iron-club.info/nissen.html

This again is an example of the confused state Monkey face finds himself in. No doubt the psychological effect of being overtaken by old lady's in their Nissan Micra's on the way home from Tesco's :?

stagcar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stagcar »

Here are a few shots of the front hubs.

Not sure what there of or what disks it is using but someone may have a clue?

The 4 pots are all volvo i have been told :D

Sorry for the bad quality pics i was unable to hold the camera still just to excited you know.

I have been doing some painting and wiring i will take some more pics when i get it out side again

Cheers
Derek

Rust rust and more rust

Muscle-Manta
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Muscle-Manta »

Derek, The hubs and discs you have look like Opel Commodore. If your Volvo calipers bolt directly to the stub axles they are Manta stub axles with adaptors for the Commodore hubs.

The Commodore brake discs are the same as Senator/Monza. If you are looking for replacement discs at some point just ask for Monza ones.

Hope this helps.

Paul Holtom

stagcar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stagcar »

Great thanks mate

Its always good to know what you have got

What do think the 5 stud hub was off ? its the ford patten i know that much, do you think it may have been a one off? well 2 off lol.

Looks like the wheel bearing is shot on the drivers side so it would be good to know what to order for a replacment

cheers
Derek
Rust rust and more rust

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Hi Derek
Ta for the photos of the front hubs.
I may well go over to 5 stud at a later date and any info is always a help.
Have'nt got my car MOT'd yet as I am having some major brake issues which is driving me to despair :?
Will be sorted soon and out on the road.
Unless you know exactly what the hub is from then I think you may have a problem.
It could be a Granada hub or it could be a Manta hub that has had a new top hat fitted with the 5 stud pattern.
Good luck with finding the right info.
Cheers
Paul

stagcar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stagcar »

Hi Paul

no problem mate I will try and find out some more info

I have found manta bearings fit fine so that is what it's got now

What's up with the brakes mate? Got to blead all mine when I have cleaned up the rears o what joy lol
Rust rust and more rust

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

It shouldn't matter what hub/spindle combo it is for the bearings. Remove the old one and get the number off the outer casing, or alternatively, measure ID, OD and width and off to your local supplier for a match.
Cheers,
John

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Hi Derek
I beleive I have an incorrect pedal ratio at the moment and also a duff NOS master cylinder.
A new cylinder will be with me on Tuesday morning and I am going to attack the ratio issue tomorrow evening.
I have a spare cylinder here which is old and not to be trusted but will be ok for setting the ratio properly.
As I am using a servo from a VW Polo (6"dia) and a large bore cylinder things never quite match up because it is all a mismatch of components so fine tuning is always going to be on the cards.
Once this is sorted I will be straight down for an MOT and then wearing the tyres out.
cheers
Paul

stagcar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stagcar »

Hi Paul,

Sounds like its close then mate

I have got a peddle box to go in my one at some point its got the clutch + 2 brake cylinder's fitted

the only thing thats putting me of fitting it is the lack of servo + the space requierd to fit in the drivers foot well. Seeing as one of the mantas good points is the driveability seems a shame to mees it all up.

In my one the master cylinder and servo has been moved an inch to the left as you look under the bonet so it clears the left hand rocker case

how do you intend to change the ratio? thats going to have to be a difrent bore master? or have you got some sort of ajustable brake balencer?

Must be a bit heavy on the peddle at the moment with the large bore master and the smaller servo

cant wait to see it "wearing the tyres out"

Good luck mate

Cheers
Derek
Rust rust and more rust

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Hi Derek
I am using a 6"servo from a VW Polo as it fits right into the original postion and a MC from a Carlton.
I am adjusting the ratio by using a solid spacer in between the secondary rod on the servo and the primary rod on the MC and I seem to have my measurements a little bit out at the moment.
All I have to do is get the correct length for the spacer and away we go.
Because I am quite fussy about the engine bay I wanted the conversion to look as factory as possible so that is why I used the smaller servo.
A MK1 golf servo fits as it is smaller than the Manta unit but it needs a heavy bash on the inboard side to fit and this looks a bit Heath Robinson.
I don't really mind a heavy pedal as this gives me the feel I like for the brakes.
With regard to your set up you could always go for a reverse action clutch up under the dash and a servo in the normal place.
Thie would save you a load of fabrication time and it is simple to fit.
cheers
P

Return to “Your Garage Scene”