Opel Manta V8 Project

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Derek
Are you sure those are Volvo calipers?
The ones that I have seen and have used prior to the Wilwood set up have to have two feeds going into the caliper itself and looking at yours it seems to have only one inlet.
They may be an earlier or later unit but they could also be Princess calipers as these were also 4pots and will bolt straight on to the Manta hub assembly
I'm sure someone will put me right on this.

Cheers
Paul

stagcar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stagcar »

gelmonkey wrote:Derek
Are you sure those are Volvo calipers?
The ones that I have seen and have used prior to the Wilwood set up have to have two feeds going into the caliper itself and looking at yours it seems to have only one inlet.
They may be an earlier or later unit but they could also be Princess calipers as these were also 4pots and will bolt straight on to the Manta hub assembly
I'm sure someone will put me right on this.

Cheers
Paul
Hi Paul,

Right i get it now sounds like a bit of spacer fun required and your off then :D

I was told the calipers are of a volvo but i am not to sure that they are ether.

They have 2 other little conections on the rear of them and they are joined via a little u shaped pipe. i will try and get a picture of the pipe and the back of the caliper if i get a chance.

If you say the volvo ones have to inlets i wonder if they have been joined with the u pipe and inlet is now where the blead is suposed to be? they have 2 very small blead nipples one on the each bank of pistons.

They do just bolt strait on the hub no plates or any thing clever but they are spaced of a little with 2 big flat washers with out them the caliper hits the disk.

just stripped the rear wheels to sort out the rear brakes and holy crap are the wheels heavy! its going to be hard work getting them back on thats for sure.

Just trying to decide if i should paint the rear hubs or just leave them in Rust :? i dont mind the rust so may just leve them for another day.

Cheers
Derek

:D
Rust rust and more rust

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Derek
Do the pics and post em up.
I will be able to tell straight away.
Pretty confident that I have the brake problem sorted now.
NOS Carlton MC duff and spacer inside primary push rod 4.2 mm too short.
New MC on tomorrow evening and fingers crossed all will be well.

I can finish my front splitter then.

Cheers
P

stagcar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

DVLA ??

Post by stagcar »

Hi All

The car is sort of ready for an MOT so i thought i better tell the DVLA about the engine swap.

Looking on there web site it says you need garage docs or a inspection report has any one been here before? I was going to stick the new engine number down on the v5 and change the capacity bit from 1800 to 3500 and send it to them but not sure now

the other question is do you recon i will end up having to get this SVA tested? i only ask due to the chopping out of the rear end to get the ford axcel in there.

apart from that the exhaust is all done but i have a feeling that MR MOT is not going to like it as it is rather on the loud side to say the least :D

Cant wait to get it on the road tho it just going to be the best fun :D

Cheers
Derek
Rust rust and more rust

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Hi Derek
Long time no speak.
I have recently got my car MOT'd and the guys in the garage asked me why I had brought it to them!
For an MOT of course said I and they gave it the once over shoved a tube up it's tail pipe and passed it no problems.
I don't think you will have any problems as long as you get a decent tester.
I am not sure about the DVLA side of things but it may be worth having a chat with the MOT guys before you take the car up to them.
The exhaust noise may be a problem but take into consideration the Street Eliminator cars and the noise they make straight through the mufflers and I still don't think it will be a problem.
I have just found out tonight that a weird noise coming from the back end is the drums are slightly out of true and making a whirring/rubbing sound and will need to be replaced.
I have driven the car out on the road and it feels really nice and tight and I think is going to scare the pants of me when I give it a bootful :lol:
Hope to see you at the Pod in a couple of weeks with both cars there.
Good luck with the MOT
cheers
Paul

stagcar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stagcar »

Cheers Paul

I am going to book it in for Friday and see what happens if nothing else at least i will be able to stick a few miles on it :D

hope you get the drums sorted sounds like an easy ish fix tho.

glad to here you got it through the MOT ok did you update your v5 with the new engine size? or just let it roll as is?

Sounds like it may be a bit of fun pants on or off :lol:

the manta was always tail happy with the CIH engine its got to just be insane with tweeked up RV8 :wink:

I will get them pics of the calipers up at some point i was going to bleed out the front brakes again one evening this week as they still fell a bit soft.

Cheers
Derek
Rust rust and more rust

stagcar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stagcar »

:D very happy.

My manta v8 now has MOT :D

It passed With a little help from me tweaking the carb when it was on the tester.

Only problem is the brakes have died on the 7 miles home looks like the master has gone home.

Still no big deal no problem with needing sva tests or any of that crap also the exhaust I convinced them it wasent loud! And so it's down as an advisory :D

I love this car it's well cool to drive if a little flat at the moment

Cheers for every ones help so far

Derek
Rust rust and more rust

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

BRILLIANT NEWS
Well done mate.
See you at the Pod.
P

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

I'm not sure I have an address for Derek for the Retro Show??

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

stagcar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stagcar »

Hi All its not looking good for the retro show due to lack of funds :(

My daily driver (an 06 saab 95 ) has decided to blow its turbo and filled the inlet up with lots of oil

Its going to cost around £1300 to get the bits to sort it out

So it looks like i will not be there this year

As you can see i am rather PPPed of with it :evil:

Cheers
Derek
Rust rust and more rust

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Nightmare Derek
Am gutted for you.
As you say though,there is always next year.
P

stagcar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stagcar »

gelmonkey wrote:Nightmare Derek
Am gutted for you.
As you say though,there is always next year.
P
Yes mate there is always next year :D

And i have got a manta that i can use but it lacks seats for kids and things

I personaly dont have a problem with that :wink:

May do a run what ya brung or somthing towards the end of the year just for a bit of fun

Cheers
Derek
Rust rust and more rust

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Ok Mate
I hope you get the Saab sorted soon.
I have now finished the splitter and fitted it to the car and am quite chuffed with the results.
Have'nt done any pics yet as been too busy going out and showing off :wink:
Will try and take some over the weekend if poss and post them up for you to see the finished article.
Cheers
P

stagcar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stagcar »

Hi,

Whats the best way to remove/replace the v8 engine in the manta?

I have had a go at the drop the front of the cross member and jack the car up trick but still cant get the sump to clear the cross member.

I am going to go for the lift the body of the engine way next

How did you fit yours mr gleemonkey?

Many thanks
Derek :D
Rust rust and more rust

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Derek

Jack the back of the car up as high as you can and then you should be able to lift the motor out without too much hassle.
If this fails you will have to undo the front clip bolts that come up through the chassis rails and lower that down as well as having the back up in the air.
Hope this helps you mate.
Have sent you a pm with my phone number if you need anymore help.
Can phone up to 11pm any night.
Cheers
P

Return to “Your Garage Scene”