Another MGB GT V8, work in progress

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

3xpendable
Getting There
Getting There

Post by 3xpendable »

All I can say is the weather is total sh*te in this country, I went home this weekend and was confronted with 2 days of 1.5ºC temperatures, bone cutting winds ands freezing rain. So this pit and garage floor are finally done and boy does it make a difference after 10 years of an earth floor!

I sliced my thumb open doing work on my brothers Alfa so wasn't best impressed, but got the MG over the pit on Saturday.

I have a source for stainless steel bolts now so replaced some of the old bolts and it looks much nicer.

A view from the pit

This shows the final part of welding that needs doing. The rear corner has some rust and at the same time dad is going to re-drill the centralised fuel tank location holes and weld on exhaust mounting brackets for the offside exhaust thats going to be fitted along with moving the filler hole 3 inches

Now on the lookout for a 3.9 motor if anyone has one?

1971 MGB GT (V8 project)

Mickxjr

Post by Mickxjr »

Looking 8-) will be nice to see this finished. Lord Steve is selling a 3.9 for £50 in the for sale section ( sounds like a bargain to me )
We are all individuals.

3xpendable
Getting There
Getting There

Post by 3xpendable »

Have emailed him, thanks!!
1971 MGB GT (V8 project)

mgrv8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by mgrv8 »

Welshie wrote:Have emailed him, thanks!!
ive got a rv8 short motor that has been bored out to 3.9/4.0lts {was 3.5} came out of running mgbv8 ,, could do with new crank bearings. didnt smoke etc... £100 ........any good to you?

3xpendable
Getting There
Getting There

Post by 3xpendable »

I'd be interested:

What else does it need apart from heads?
Where is it?
Pics?
If its miles away could you put it on a pallet for a courier?
1971 MGB GT (V8 project)

mgrv8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by mgrv8 »

Welshie wrote:I'd be interested:

What else does it need apart from heads?
Where is it?
Pics?
If its miles away could you put it on a pallet for a courier?
im in abingdon oxfordshire .it just the short block with crank/rods/pistons

3xpendable
Getting There
Getting There

Post by 3xpendable »

Been ages since I updated this:

Car has been in and out of the garage for a while, making space for paid jobs coming in.

View of underneath

As I mentioned before, someone had cut the heater panel out of the car, is should look like this

So dad has been making a repair panel. It has had to be made in 3 pieces to fit it in there, the first part

This was replicated the other side before making a cardboard pattern for the main panel

Before a plate was made up

And fitted into the car

The rear welding got done then, along with centralising the fuel tank filler hole.

Rear quarter, seam sealed

Heater bulkhead now fitted. Anyone know where I can get some dumdum sealing compound?

The filler neck for the fuel tank relocated. There was a slight error with this so dad inserted a blank plate with a hole then welded the original fuel filler hole onto that. It gave him some more spexibility with movement along with better strenth.

Underneath

One of the fuel tank tabs had to be cut down to fit too.

One of the things holding the project up before the respray has ben the final shaping of the scuttle where it meets the wing tops. The wings from the donor car looked better than the ones that came with the new shell so I wanted to use them, but they were welded to the sill instead of being attached by the usual self tapping screws. Being in a polytunnel meant we couldnt grind them off so we got a chance on the weekend to look at them. The drovers side came off with a few small holes drilled, the passenger side was cut as close to the base as possible

Both wings are pretty tidy and more importantly, are unrepaired originals. The others are rubber bumper items with bodged repairs so i'm glad I swapped them. They just need some localised repairs.

Upon removing them, it showed just how far gone the donor car was:

Hope to have more progress soon...
1971 MGB GT (V8 project)

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

A lot of very impressive work there mate, keep it up! Inspired me to get on with mine, I have a 3yr protective layer of dust to remove ...
RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

3xpendable
Getting There
Getting There

Post by 3xpendable »

Thanks mate, getting there slowly! Once it gets painted I hope progress will speed up
1971 MGB GT (V8 project)

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

I'm definitely looking at a respray now. So I've decided to bin all the glass bar the front screen and go lexan/perspex. Saves a lot of weight, and means I can touch up the (very poor) bodywork that the previous owner did to fit the sebring arches.

I'm also looking into getting a spit so I can do the underneath properly. Fortunately the one thing the guy did do before me that was useful was chose a decent shell!
RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

3xpendable
Getting There
Getting There

Post by 3xpendable »

I now have a V8 engine, 3.9 litres :D

Bargain off eBay as it had no picture, but the description was detailed enough I was happy it was good. It had done 90,000 miles in a Range Rover and the guy threw in some extras and delivery too.

I will be using a carburettor so wont be needing the injection system. I want to rebuild it so first job was to strip and check it:

No need for the wiring loom

Looking clean so far

Bores are all good :)

Stripped as much as I could over the weekend

Next job is to find somewhere I can dip the block to clean it as, coming from a 4x4 it was quite dry and dusty/muddy
1971 MGB GT (V8 project)

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Is that a hotwire system? If so, what are you going to do with it?
Cheers,
John

3xpendable
Getting There
Getting There

Post by 3xpendable »

unstable load wrote:Is that a hotwire system? If so, what are you going to do with it?
According to this link

http://www.v8engines.com/carbs-2.htm#injection-type

You can identify it from the airflow sensor which I dont have, I only have from the plenum onwards. Is there anyother way to tell?

Regarding what i'm going to do with it, the answer is sell it :) That along with the front end parts and pumps I don't need so if anyone is interested let me know.
1971 MGB GT (V8 project)

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Think if it's a serpentine engine, it won't be flapper.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

3xpendable
Getting There
Getting There

Post by 3xpendable »

Well as you can see, its definately a serpentine motor
1971 MGB GT (V8 project)