1985 Chevy Astro Van

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Stuball
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

1985 Chevy Astro Van

Post by Stuball »

About time i put a post up about this :lol:

Sold my capri last year due to some unforseen circumstances but shortly after was back driving a V8.

Got this off my mate last july 8)

Spec:
5.0 Chevy V8 with 700r4 4spd Autobox
Fully custom Silver/purple paint
16" Billet alloy wheels
Suspension Flip Kit fitted
4x Granada Leather Seats fitted (all electrics work on these too)

The interior is in progress which is why some is black and some is, well it is pink to be honest :shock:

Not to everyones taste, but i love it :D :D

Stuball
Last edited by Stuball on Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stuball
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Stuball »

Well finally got round to starting work on the Van.

Its had a top end rattle for a while. Have changed the Cam, lifters, Pushrods and Rockers, checked for exhaust leaks, and its still there so next step is to remove the heads and see whats what (these are due for a rebuild anyway)

First step, Remove carb, inlet manifold and exhausts

Its black in there, but not gungy so all good

Next, Removed passenger side rocker cover, rockers and head

Again, looks pretty good.

Can still see the honing marks as the bottom end has only done 6500 miles since rebuild.

Both heads off, and greased the exposed bores and top of the block to prevent corrosion (got some flat top high comp pistons in there 8-) )

The heads themselves dont look to bad at a glance, but on close inspection the valve guides are quite worn out , valves have quite a groove in them where they have been seating, and several of the rocker studs were damaged when i removed the lock nuts.

More updates soon when i decide on where to go from here.

Stuball

kev_the_mole
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kev_the_mole »

These are on Eurodragster at the moment. Not the greatest brand in the world but fantastic value for assembled alloy Chevy heads :D

New in the boxes E/W USA SBC ally heads 200cc runners 64cc chambers , full CNC machined, 2.02& 1.60 SS valves, dual springs 1.447 dia good to .650 lift ,10 degree forged locks , moly retainers, Viton seals , 7/16 studs , blueprinted assemblies.. ready to load
Straight or Angle plug type.... chambers 58cc , 64cc , 72cc

PRICE 525 to your door UK

Cheers! Daryl

Tel: 716-471-4146

It's an engine Jim.....but not as we know it ;)

Stuball
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Stuball »

Have indeed been looking at ally heads :D HAve to keep valve sizes down to 1.94" and 1.5" due to the size of the bore though (being a 305).

Got some on the way at the moment, should be here this week :twisted:

Yesterday took the sump off to change the gasket, pistons are still ridiculously clean, and it looks like it has ARP rod bolts?

Should have another update soon!

Stuball

Stuball
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Stuball »

Well got all the parts from the states during the week so started the rebuild this weekend.

Managed to install new 2 piece timing cover (allows cam change without distrubing the sump gakset)

Also installed the sump but now have to take it off as i put the gasket on all wrong :cry:

And also got the new ally heads (TrickFlow Specialities) installed and torqued down (hoping that none of the bolts leak, i put enough thread sealer on them :lol: )

Stuball

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

looking good mate
:wink:
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

Stuball
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Stuball »

Slowly but surely making progress on the van.

Today managed to get all of the rockers adjusted and re-installed the inlet manifold.

Also re-fitted the waterpump.

Jobs left to do:

Remove and refit the Sump with the gasket on properly this time
Refit exhaust manifolds
Fit bottom crank pulley
Fit alternator and PAS pump
Refit carb and dizzy

Hope to god it starts and that none of the head bolts leak!!!!

Stuball

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Coming along nicely Stu !!

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

Stuball
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Stuball »

Not what you would call an update lol. But the replacement rocker covers arrived so thought id see what they look like.

Theyve got loads of clearance internally for the rockers, and as they slope off to the sides there is plenty of room around them for the engine cover.

Stuball

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Hi Stu
You should be well pleased with that.
It looks just fine.
Wouldnt mind that motor in my wagon.
Cheers
Paul

Stuball
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Stuball »

Well after much faffing about, swearing, injuries, etc etc, its all finally back together 8-)

Saturday 06/03/10:

Got everything back together, manifolds on, dizzy, carb alternator and rocker covers. Tried for 2 hours, and couldnt
get any life our of it at all, just cranked and cranked, gave up and went to bed.

Sunday 07/03/10:

Woke up and instantly realised id timed the dizzy 90 degrees out :oops:

Reset the timing she fired straight up, bit rattly at first but quietened down after a few mins running. No leaks anywhere, doesnt overheat so all good.

Today 08/03/10:

Took it for a spin this evening, and with my mate doing some "on the fly" tweaks to the distributor timing (great having a removable engine cover in the cabin!), i can safely say shes somewhat of an animal!!!!! :racing

After the drive, came back, and much to my dis-belief the top end rattle came back :evil: . After about an hour with the trusty screwdriver stethoscope i found that all along its been the mechanical fuel pump! So can now fix that too :D

Will hopefully do a vid at the weekend.

stuball

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

I'm looking forward to seeing this tomorrow Stu :)

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

Stuball
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Stuball »

Right, where on earth do I start!!. (this is going to be a loooooooooooooong post)

Not seen the road much since the rolling road day last march!!!!.

First mod I did was to ditch the holley 600 with vac secondaries and fit
a double pumper (on perry's recommendation at the RR). What a differnece! she pulled much harder from lower revs and there was no "waiting" for the carb to catch up. Rear tyres not too happy about this mind :lol:

Couple of months later, me and a mate had a good chat and thought, how many racing vans do we see around?? Not enough was the answer!, and so the project began.................. (you may think im mad, but you wouldnt be the first :nutz

Stripped out the dash and carpet to start with, upon inspecting the wiring, i found basically a rather dangerous nightmare, so the whole lot has come out. (double pumper looking right at home here)

I also discovered that the lock up converter had not been wired up on the gearbox so lucky that i havent burnt it out!!

Next started with an overhaul of the cooling system. The radiator that was in it wasnt really up to the job, so that is being replaced by one from
an audi.

It sat a touch high, so modded the cross member to suit. Also modded some audi gearbox cooler lines so i can hook it up to the 700r4 in the van.

We are going to remake the exhaust system so that its is more free flowing, which involved removing the underslung fuel tank. Opted for fitting one in the back, and running teflon lined braided hose to he front (keep the fuel smell out).

Made up some mounting beams for the fuel cell. Was originally going to mount it to the floor, but it has a sump and that would have meant a big hole and running the fuel line under the car which would have been a nightmare due to all of the crossbeams supporting the floor!!

I still need to make up some straps for this fuel cell, as the little brackets welded to it arent that thick so would the van be in an accident, they would be ripped off.

Can see in the second pic i had started making up the fuel lines. Big thanks to Tony for pointing me in the direction of Alex at Torques UK, got everything i needed no probs.

Fuel tank and fuel pump installed.

Now had to get the fuel line into the engine bay. So, cut a hole in the floor, as you do. This hole and the bracket holding the fuel and power lines will have a cover made to seal it all up.

Replaced the carb fuel rail, with one made to accepty AN fittings, and made up the braided line to connect up to the tank.

Just to be safe, where the fuel line and wiring runs from front of the van to the back, going to make a cover for it to protect it from damage.

This is all still mock up at the moment, the interior of the van atleast needs a repaint so it will all come out again. Also needs testing to make sure it all works!!!

Next update, should have the radiator mounted properly and plumbed in, then can see if she will fire after couple of months sitting

Any comments/suggestions/advice much appreciated.

More to follow

Stuball

Stuball
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Stuball »

First job of today, I made up the fuel tank breather. This goes through a rollover valve and into the tank, so vapours can escape but not the actual fuel.

Drops down out the back of the van.

Then started on the radiator mounts. Lower support consists of a 50mmx3mm strip of metal, with rubber grommets in either end that the
radiator sits in. Test fitted, all was good.

All painted up and bolted in place. Radiator sits in there spot on.

Next made a start on the upper brackets. Didnt manage to finish these today (too cold and dark).

Going to hopefully plumb in the radiator and gearbox cooler tomorrow, once the parts arrive.

I also made up the final fuel line today (one that runs from tank to the bulkhead). Stuck some fuel in, all
pressure tested ok, with no leaks. Cranked it over for a bit to get some oil round the important bits, couple of pumps on the carb and she sprang to life after sitting for so long 8-) Had to stop it though as the gearbox fluid was exiting rapidly at this point :lol:

More tomorrow!!

Stu

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Nice one Stu,
glad to hear you have life in the ole gal :wink:

how you getting on with the aeroquip style fittings from Alex?
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

Return to “Your Garage Scene”