The mx5 Rv8,.. thing!

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Mark
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Mark »

topcatproduction wrote:Pel- they are the turbo ones! Cheers Smudge, heres a pic now I got it all back together last night, welded new repair panels in the rear sills and going for an MOT at 2pm today :shock: :shock: :shock:

Last phone pic (I hope) then will do a proper shoot :D (oh- after I clean the dust off)

That does look very good :shock:

It might be worth making up a temporary cover for the blower drive if you are taking it for an mot ??

Mark

302 V8 Sierra 5 door sleeper under way

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Cheers for the replies guys, wasn't expecting many hence the new thread in the fuel section!

It is an Eddy carb, where is the power valve (is it the bit that squirts juice down the primaries when you put your foot down?) and how could a backfire rupture the floats?

I would have been happy if it is crud on the valves, but it seemed to pour out of the top of the carb way too quick to be a stuck-open-by-a-couple-of-thou valve :cry:

Man if working on this thing late hadn't already caused mega arguements with the gf (going through final uni exams atm) I'd go over there right now :roll:

p.s. Mark I already have made up a cover from perforated sheet, sprayed it today and will fix it in place with a couple of stainless screws so I can pop it on quick if I get a pull (looks so much better without!)
TC

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Scrub that! Managed to make up with the gf by cooking dinner and being a suck-up, so blagged 20mins of car time (which turned out to be 80mins :lol: ), stripped the carb, cleaned a fair amount of crap out of the float chambers, re-set the floats and blew the lines through, back together and first flick of the switch fired up sweet as a nut :D

Maybe the MOT will go ahead before the sunny weekend!

Only concerning thing is a constant squeaking from the front end- not sure if it is the alternator, blower idler or blower pulley- but they are all either sealed or wet bearings so not sure about that yet :?
TC

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

topcatproduction wrote:Scrub that! Managed to make up with the gf by cooking dinner and being a suck-up, so blagged 20mins of car time (which turned out to be 80mins :lol: ), stripped the carb, cleaned a fair amount of crap out of the float chambers, re-set the floats and blew the lines through, back together and first flick of the switch fired up sweet as a nut :D

Maybe the MOT will go ahead before the sunny weekend!

Only concerning thing is a constant squeaking from the front end- not sure if it is the alternator, blower idler or blower pulley- but they are all either sealed or wet bearings so not sure about that yet :?
Tom! Dont sweat about squeaking from the front end. When you get to my age its squeaking from the back end you have to worry about. Especially when you sneeze :) :)

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

bones
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by bones »

Glad the carb is soughted. And goodluck with the MOT, your motor looks the nuts :D rich

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Tom
I recon the squeeking is mice so a steady supply of cheese should sort it.
As regards GF, big box of expensive chockies, chick flick DVD, and a bottle of somthing fizzy and french with a straw, you presence will not be required, infact the prospect of having to share the chockies will mean you will be required to do work on the car.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

YAY!

Straight through the MOT, only note was that the 2 rear tyres are getting bald!

So... got 5 whole miles on the clock, before I had to sit in some traffic and it stopped, to not start again :( towed it home but still happy I got to drive it for 5 miles! Man its a beast! First RWD car I've had which maybe was a bit stupid :? :lol:

As taking it easy for a few days to let it bed in a bit, only revved it to about 3k but the arse kicked out in every gear I was in when I tried it- so its gonna be a bit of a handful when I sort this damned (possibly carb) problem out! Saw a little bit of boost on the gauge (5psi) and it feels like a massive go-kart with a stupid engine, which is basically what it is!

Thanks all of you for all of your help with the build, now I'm gonna need some more help getting it reliable!!!

p.s. the MOT guy who owns the garage said it was a bloody nice install, underneath and on top, couldn't fault anything- said it was nice to see a new build come in without any cable ties holding things together and brake pipes clipped up etc etc, guess I'm just too 8) (apart from looking like a right penis broken down on the side of the road!!)
TC

bones
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by bones »

Congrats on the mot :D :D . Bit of a bummer it broke down, but these things are to expected. And you better get a couple of sets of rear tyres as i thing you will need them :D rich

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Well done Tom! you are a top bloke!
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Just Brilliant
Well done Tom.
Cheers
P

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

:D There was a police road block whilst being towed home yesterday after an accident on the road- you should have seen the looks I got from all 3 coppers being towed right past them behind an old landy on an old tow strap, no tax disc in my windscreen and the engine out the bonnet!

I'm gonna get my rear tyres replaced asap as I know I'm gonna get pulled in this thing, dont want to give them any extra ammo to bust me with :roll: It's bad enough I already have to have the guard over my blower snout :cry: :lol:

p.s.- there must be a chav infiltrator on here spreading the word- as there wasn't a short supply of halfords covered corsa's and saxo's laughing and beeping at me whilst sitting broken down :evil: that's just humiliation, I'll have to wait in the same place again waiting for them to start them smoke them out!

Also had a bloke looking out of his ferrari 355 at me looking a bit nervously (before I broke down :lol: )
TC

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Tom
May be able to get you a couple of black rat stickers (met police car/ drivers club) if you want. Might stop you being pulled every 5 min if you think it is going to be a hassel.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

What size tyres do you need Tom?

I've got several laying around in the shed :)

Pel

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

215/45 R17 Pel, there are cheap ones on ebay for £75 a pair which I might try! Wont worry about burning them out then!

Anyway- had an AWESOME weekend with the car, drove it saturday evening for a bit and sunday all morning! No major problems apart from a dropping fuel pressure issue (which I have put down to the pump) and I have melted an exhaust mount above the X pipe :lol: Cant believe how how the exhaust has got- the exhaust clamps behind the X pipe have turned blue :shock: oh- and I turned the front discs blue n smoking in about 3 seconds by nearly missing a turning- might have to start looking for bigger brakes too :roll:

Ears ring slightly after a good drive which is a mild pain, but main suprise is how ridiculously thirsty the damned beast is. I guess its down to the blower- but a rough estimate gives it about 10mpg??? And that was mild driving as being kind for now :lol:

Only got a couple of things to do on it now- nice little jobs to finish it off properly. Apart from 1 thing- it was running at 85-90degs yesterday which was too hot for my liking, I know the weather was very hot but it's only going to be a fair weather car and I would like it to sit at 80 ideally. I'm already running a 75deg 'stat with 2 small holes in it, got a 2" thick ally rad as big as I can fit in, approx 2' wide and 16" high, bonnet has a hole in it but the fan is pushing instead of pulling- I cant change that unless I do some chopping of the front panel which I dont really want to do. I still have to box the rad in a bit but not sure if it will quite be enough- especially if the weather gets any hotter.
TC

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

hi Tom
Glad you are having fun. Unless you have geared it very low you should be seeing alot better MPG that 10, I think there must be a serious issue with your fuel system to sort out, at a guess I would think you would be looking at 25 to 30 maybe 32 MPG, the car is light, the engine should be running very efficiently as is. Have you got brakes sticking, again I would have thought they shouldn't be over stressed despite the extra power.
Anyway have fun in the sunshine!
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Return to “Your Garage Scene”