The mx5 Rv8,.. thing!

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

The mx5 Rv8,.. thing!

Post by topcatcustom »

Well not an awful lot to start with, but a couple of pics (didnt want my grinding work of sunday to go unseen!), smoothed pretty much the whole lot of the valley for faster oil drainage onto the cam and got rid of some of the nasty flash from the casting on the rest of the block, and did a little mock up as wanted to see how tall the lump is going to be!!! Beats working on Mini's!!!
The donor... engineless
half polished
polished!
The mock up!!!

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Looking good, did you get a periscope to aid forward vision?

Kevin.

mx5v8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

mock up

Post by mx5v8 »

Wow. I think you may have to cut a hole in the bonnet :lol:

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Not sure, if I mount it low enough it may only stick out like, a foot :? Did roughly measure it- it should only stick out about 200mm (the scoop & carb)

I'm thinking this is going to loose its handling abilities!!! Drag racing here we come! May as well ditch the double wishbone suspension on the rear and put a big jag axle in! :lol:

JP.
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by JP. »

An example..........Capri fitted with a 4-71 on a RV8
.........................You don't need a Periscope to see straight ahead :lol: :lol: You can see everything perfect whats in front of you and next of you on the right side ( in my case the opposite side...as I drive on the other side of the road)

Every thing else...well .....what you don't see..ehhh...what you don't miss...
Should warn you for the rain, be shure you'll have the right key next to your chair to turn the scoop backwards when it starts to rain.
It will deffo catch too much water causing the engine to stall. I found out the hard way :oops: :oops:

Without the foam/mesh filter the blower will breath much easyer as I found out on the dyno. Just use a good round K&N style filter.

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Liking it!
Wasn't planning on taking it out in the rain- but that might be a bit hard living in England :oops: the scoop came with a thin rough foam filter behind the lovely chrome mesh (for the bugs) and also with a round filter for inside, which I will be changing for a k&n methinks

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Here you go olly, you may have to look hard for the 2 oil drain holes as they are as far down in the corners of the oil puddles as possible!
Pleased with the high temp wrinkle paint on the rockers- gives a factory type serious finish 8)

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

is there a dimension for drilling for the cam retainer plate?
as i have a plate, but need to drill my block to suit,
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Dont have one I'm afraid, can try and measure it but hard to get a reference point! Is it not just an offer it up and mark type job?

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

cheers for that TC. I've poste some of my block in the other thread.

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Started milling stuff for the SC manifold today as got the mill cross feed motor fixed (after not bothering since got it!) and the cuts are just so satisfying!
Thick old stuff!

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Finally a small chunk of visible progress! I finally nearly finished my inlet manifold and I am very happy with it- lots of thanks to Nigel @ uk blowers and blown v8 (if he is still on here!) for the advice!

My old milling machine got through the lump of ally plate I found ok, and hopefully my tig is leak free..! I welded both sides of everything so will hopefully be fine...

All I have to do to the manifold is get in there with the die grinder and open up the ports a little, and give the whole thing a bit of a polish! Here are the pics:

I also ordered my blower cam from real steel today, so will pop it in the lathe and machine the lip for the retaining plate when it comes through- will try and finish off my heads this weekend, then I have to order the DV springs and get them into the machine shop to get the seats modified to take them! Once that is done its trial fit and geometry setting- fun :?

TC

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

did you not try v8tuner for the cam?
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

I had seen it on their site- but was a little put off by not much info whereas real steel had the full spec, plus Perry had said he was very happy with his! Will be ordering the rhodes lifters, springs and retainers and push rods from V8 Tuner tho

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Looking good TC!!!

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

Return to “Your Garage Scene”