R32 GT-R V8

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Random

R32 GT-R V8

Post by Random »

Very long term project of mine! Got the bodyshell in 2008 as a bare shell. Not evem rolling as the front subframe and suspension was missing. I have slowly been adding to it over the years as money, motivation and time all coincide!

It's a 1992 Skyline GT-R with a rather heavy duty multipoint chromoly roll cage. Nissan VH41DE engine + rather large holset turbo, and an OS Giken 6 speed sequential gearbox. Radiator has had to be positioned in the boot due to the turbo sitting up front, and the exhaust simply wouldnt go out the back of the engine bay so exits just ahead of the passenger side wheel!

Today I've just gotten the fuel surge tank ready to fit. This will be going in space previously taken up by one of the silencers!

Pics:

Pattern for the radiator duct... Im not really using cardboard for it!

Surge tank.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Interesting - never heard of that engine before!

Why did you choose that one? (I guess it keeps it pure Nissan).

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Interesting build for sure.

Ensure those flexi joints pre-turbo do not have the stainless braid inside the bellows. They will break up and damage the turbo.

Some very nice fabrication for the swirl setup, but a slightly odd design given it's large diameter and low height.

034 used to offer this sort of design, still fairly low profile and ultimately better for maintaining a fuel supply under all acceleration conditions

Although as long as lift pumps keep a good supply of fuel to yours I'm sure it will still be quite effective too
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Random

Post by Random »

Reason for the engine choice is pretty simple...

They came from a 4wd car! So I can keep the defining feature of the GT-R. Clever awd! Also the version I have has heads that will flow for 500hp with the correct cams naturally aspirated! Big, smooth ports with a very straight shot at the valve throat. Only thing I need to change for boost is the pistons. Possibly rods for belt and braces. Plenty of people turbocharge them with stock pistons and compression for about 450-550hp but I'm aiming a bit higher.

As to the flexi joints, they arent the nasty braided inner type. I only really specified them as I dont really want the manifolds cracking from being forced apart by the link pipe expanding with heat!

The surge tank is a little on the low side. But its already fairly tight to the chassis rail. I can extend downwards if necessary but considering the lifter pumps are being specced to outflow the 044's I dont think It will ever be a problem. Any time I'm pulling a lot of lateral G (the only time the lift pumps are likely to suck in air) i'll be at low throttle openings so it wont drain the surge tank very quickly!

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

It certainly does make retaining the 4wd easy, and Nissan do make some great engines.

It all sounds great !
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Random

Post by Random »

Quick update... Theres no update! I recently found myself looking for a new job so everything is on hold until I get that sorted!

Return to “Your Garage Scene”