mk1 capri

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Rbrett

mk1 capri

Post by Rbrett »

Wow its been a while since I last posted, as usual its been a case of life, a divorce and cash flow getting in the way.

Still, 14 months back the old cappa went into a body shop for a quick quality clean up on a few rust spots and a respray at an estimated 3k I had also planned to uprate the brakes and swap in a stronger rear diff to be ready for future plans.

As I'm sure everyone knows a quick clean up plan never materialises, in prepping the car we didnt only find more rot but past work that had been bodged, outer arches not joined to the inner arches with the gap hidden by caulking, newspaper and fibreglass repairs with a thin bit of steel over the top to hide it away, sills welded on that rather than fitting a complete sill had been cut leaving 2 inches of original sill in the middle and an inch of filler to hide the cock eyed welding, areas of metal work that were meant to have been cut out already and had new welded in that had just been sanded back and had filler squeezed into the tin worm riddled metal. Well 14 months on the body is more or less done, 120 hours of welding, new pannels, loads of intricate pannels fabbed and lead loading where needed instead of plastic filler, the car should be back on the road in the next few weeks but unfortunatly it will all still be stock, unsurprising the cost more than doubled so money I set aside for other things had to go into the body.

Still trying to decide which way to go with the car, its original and low miles but being an auto needs more power, all the brakes have been rebuilt and all rubber piping has been replaced, got my hands on some black diamond drilled and grooved discs and pads to try out, I dare say the main focus on the car over the next year will be on the rolling gear, I'm expecting failiures with it not being on the road since 73, as and when stuff shows a sign of going it will be uprated and swapped in.

Engine wise its still a dilema between standard with efi and supercharger in the hope of more low down torque to feed into the auto or swapping out for the V8 the car deserved from the get go, its a bit more unusual but at the moment I have a fascination with the daimler v8, its small size, sump in the correct orientation, supposedly steel bottom end, headers that hug the head and exit at the rear and the fact its an engine from the same period which had great power potential in rods during that period, It also came fitted with the same model of auto box as in the capri... Still a bit of a pipeline dream at the moment as funds will need to be raised again for this side of things.

(moved to I believe the correct sub forum, sorry if its the wrong one again)
Last edited by Rbrett on Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Nice.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Sweet!!
Good to see you back on the horse mate.

Perry

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

Return to “Your Garage Scene”