My SD1

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Robrover
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Robrover »

Paul, it's a fair while ago now since I did this but from memory I think I left the original pick up pipe in place and removed the electric pump part of the device. The Pierburg pump lifts the fuel up out the tank ok and feeds it through to the engine at WOT, and that's with big valve Buick heads.

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

unstable load wrote:It's pricey, but Edelbrock do a self contained sump/pump set-up for modifying older cars to fuel injection.

An EFI pump will have way too much pressure for a carb and fitting a regulator to drop that much pressure will cause issues.

Muscle-Manta
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Muscle-Manta »

Work now finished in the engine bay. Just need to bolt it all back together now.
Started like this;

Muscle-Manta
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Muscle-Manta »

Robrover wrote:Paul, it's a fair while ago now since I did this but from memory I think I left the original pick up pipe in place and removed the electric pump part of the device. The Pierburg pump lifts the fuel up out the tank ok and feeds it through to the engine at WOT, and that's with big valve Buick heads.
Thanks Rob, I was thinking would need to make a pick-up once I removed the in tank pump.

Now I've finished with the engine bay I can get around to the other stuff I need to do.....after I've put the front of the car back together :?

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

Looking good there Paul! :P

Cobratone
Is a Spanner

Post by Cobratone »

Nice job! I had 13 SD1's in a row in the late 80's early 90's, including a very nice V8S and a pretty poor 2000! It's one of the few "classic" cars I'd like again, but with a "slightly" uprated engine to the original :-)

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Cobratone wrote:Nice job! I had 13 SD1's in a row in the late 80's early 90's, including a very nice V8S and a pretty poor 2000! It's one of the few "classic" cars I'd like again, but with a "slightly" uprated engine to the original :-)
Sadly, so many of them get broken to 'uprate' other vehicles.

FWIW, a Vitesse delivering the correct power (not many do) is pretty adequate power wise. With a torque characteristic which suits a sports saloon more than some of the larger units.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Muscle-Manta
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Muscle-Manta »

Thanks for the encouragement guys. There's still a lot of bodywork to do, however it's not a rotter by a long way.

Once I've installed the 4.6 and it's run in I hope to get the rest of the bodywork sorted.

The 3.5 that came out of the Rover will live in my Sebring MXR kit with an Edelbrock carb and manifold. I've got to get the car through an IVA test. The 4.6 I have would need cats/injection etc to meet emissions. As I can prove 3.5 engine came from a 1982 car it will pass with a carb. Once it's through the test I will then refit the 3.5 to the Rover (after giving it a rebuild) and put the 4.6 in the kit car on a carb. :)

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

Muscle-Manta wrote:Thanks for the encouragement guys. There's still a lot of bodywork to do, however it's not a rotter by a long way.

Once I've installed the 4.6 and it's run in I hope to get the rest of the bodywork sorted.

The 3.5 that came out of the Rover will live in my Sebring MXR kit with an Edelbrock carb and manifold. I've got to get the car through an IVA test. The 4.6 I have would need cats/injection etc to meet emissions. As I can prove 3.5 engine came from a 1982 car it will pass with a carb. Once it's through the test I will then refit the 3.5 to the Rover (after giving it a rebuild) and put the 4.6 in the kit car on a carb. :)
...and what will you do in the afternoon? :P

Muscle-Manta
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Muscle-Manta »

Yea....very funny! I know it sounds like I'm doing all this at a pace, however it is a very slow walking pace.

I'm sure Sidecar Pete is in despair of me at times.....I do seem to keep him very busy :?

Cobratone
Is a Spanner

Post by Cobratone »

Muscle-Manta wrote:I'm sure Sidecar Pete is in despair of me at times.
Try fitting EFI and see how he despairs of you then :P :P 8)

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

Cobratone wrote:
Muscle-Manta wrote:I'm sure Sidecar Pete is in despair of me at times.
Try fitting EFI and see how he despairs of you then :P :P 8)
LOL :P :P

Muscle-Manta
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Muscle-Manta »

Hmmm...... now there's a thought :lol:

Muscle-Manta
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Muscle-Manta »

With thanks to Pete after two days of work the engine is now in and running :D

Pete made the carb return spring bracket which counter-acts the load on the throttle shaft applied by the throttle cable. This will reduce wear and ultimately air leaks from the spindle/carb body.

MSD programmable ignition and Lambda bung in exhaust for air/fuel ratio meter.

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Hello to one and all
(been away from here for a while!)
I must say that all looks pretty good in there Paul and it was such a pity that you did not make it down to Gelmonkey Towers last weekend after all your hard work and Sire Sidecar's help of course.
Can I just point out that it looks like your timing is out by about 180 degrees and would get someone to check that for you

P :lol:

Return to “Your Garage Scene”