My SD1

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Muscle-Manta
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

My SD1

Post by Muscle-Manta »

As the Manta is gone and the Sebring MXR kit won't be on the road anytime soon. I decided to buy this.

As I have the 4.6 for the kit car sitting in the garage I decided to put it in the SD1 to run it in. Thoughts being a big heavy car like this should give the engine some weight to pull rather than sitting idling during an IVA test.

Sidecar Pete having a laugh.

Engine out.

Bit of rust to clean off on the inner wings.

Used a wire brush on an air tool to clean up the areas before using some jenolite and Epoxy Mastic two pack primer.

Just a bit of rubbing down before the white undercoat, Gold base coat and two pack clear lacquer before the 4.6 goes in.

As the car has an MOT I hope to be on the road by the end of the month for a trip to Plymouth for "classics on the Hoe" and meet up with Paul - Gel monkey face- Roach

:D :lol:

Cobratone
Is a Spanner

Post by Cobratone »

That's odd!!! In the pictures it looks like Pete has dirty hands, did he fall over?? :P :P :lol:

Muscle-Manta
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Muscle-Manta »

That's not dirt!! He came over to give me a rendition of Al Jolson's 'Mammy'. Here he is after he blacked up his face......

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

Oh you bunch witty barstools!

(Although I do have a good singing voice, even if a say so myself!) :D

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Welcome to the world of SD1s. :D
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Muscle-Manta
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Muscle-Manta »

Thanks Dave, The car's not in bad nick really. Body wise it needs some attention at the rear of the sills. Hoping to get this sorted next month.

Thinking of lowering it and adding a set of Torq Thrust Ds http://www.summitracing.com/parts/are-1055773

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

I've had the same problem with both my sills. Luckily, it seems to be only at the back, so worth just fixing that rather than changing the entire sill. They're cheap enough to get a new one and cut a repair panel from that. You'll likely have to make a closing panel repair. But there's a good chance the inner sill is still ok.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

Paul, Don't forget that you will need to stick your decent fuel pump in the SD if you want to be sure to supply the carb'd 4.6 with enough fuel.

Muscle-Manta
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Muscle-Manta »

The fuel pump is inside the tank on this car. Will do the test you recommended to see how much the pump can flow.

Robrover
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Robrover »

The OEM in tank pump on my 4.6 SD1 struggled to supply enough fuel for the Edlebrock at WOT. I replaced it with a Pierburg rollervane pump which is mounted inline on the crossmember outside the tank.

Supposed to support 340hp, rated at 3.9 - 5.5 psi, delivers 130 litres per hour (34.34GPH), self priming, lift capable, no return, very quiet, weighs 0.5kilo. I think they're OE on some Porsches. Seems to supply enough fuel now.

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

Robrover wrote:The OEM in tank pump on my 4.6 SD1 struggled to supply enough fuel for the Edlebrock at WOT. I replaced it with a Pierburg rollervane pump which is mounted inline on the crossmember outside the tank.

Supposed to support 340hp, rated at 3.9 - 5.5 psi, delivers 130 litres per hour (34.34GPH), self priming, lift capable, no return, very quiet, weighs 0.5kilo. I think they're OE on some Porsches. Seems to supply enough fuel now.
I think that Paul does have a suitable Edelbrock pump that was going to be used on another project but will now find a home on the SD1. The slight pain in the bum is modifying the tank for use with an extrenal pump.

BTW I use a simple formula which I read in a book in order to work out if a pump can supply enough fuel. (You do have to add a generous error margin!)

Anyway the formula is BHP = (Fuel flow in CC per min) / 4.7

Your pump flows 2166 cc per min which is enough fuel to make 460 BHP. I guess the manufacturer is staying on the side of caution with their statement and like I said the formula does not account for any loss of flow down the pipe and past the float valves. (If the formula came up with a figure of 300 BHP and you think that your engine makes 300 BHP then that's the time to worry!)
Last edited by sidecar on Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

The EFI models (and the diesel) have external pumps. The EFI also a fuel return.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Muscle-Manta
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Muscle-Manta »

Robrover wrote:The OEM in tank pump on my 4.6 SD1 struggled to supply enough fuel for the Edlebrock at WOT. I replaced it with a Pierburg rollervane pump which is mounted inline on the crossmember outside the tank.

Rob, I take it you removed the original in-tank pump. Did you have to fashion another fuel pick-up pipe? If so please let me know how you did it. I intend to use my Edelbrock pump in the line as Pete mentioned.

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

It's pricey, but Edelbrock do a self contained sump/pump set-up for modifying older cars to fuel injection.
Cheers,
John

Muscle-Manta
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Muscle-Manta »

I'm using the 4.6 with an Edelbrock 500 carb. The stock pump doesn't supply enough fuel at wot, hence my question about fitting the in line pump. Sorry if this wasn't clear.
Paul.

Return to “Your Garage Scene”