Skyline R32 1UZFE

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

minor8pot

Post by minor8pot »

Ah was it you that bought all the rx7 conversion parts...be me to it...lol...

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

minor8pot wrote:Ah was it you that bought all the rx7 conversion parts...be me to it...lol...
Yeah, been talking to Stav for a few months now which gave me enough time to save up. I was actually planning on going for a BMW gearbox, but with the 4:1 diff ratio I have the only one to go for would be the 6-speed M3 gearbox, which are pretty expensive. By the time I added up all the conversion parts using a driftmoto kit, the R154 was a cheaper option, just.

I hadn't planned on buying the ITBs or exhaust, but again, when I priced things up I thought I may as well. I had already decided on fitting megasquirt anyway, so the ITBs were a no brainer for the price given that they have all the modifications already done. You can't buy them in the UK, and they're that price in the US plus shipping and tax, never mind the modifications to actually get them to fit and work. Hopefully getting the modified fuel rail as well which will save me a bit of hassle. All in, I thought it was a good buy, we'll see!!! Off to collect them all on Tuesday!
RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Stick at it Ollie !!

This is going to be a lovely car mate ;)

Respect

Pel

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Cheers Perry! Been a bit sad lately as not really been working on it apart from restoring suspension parts ... there's only so much hammerite action one can take haha!

Got the audi fixed now so I can finally go and get some welding gas, wooo!

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Right, very long time no post. But I have been busy!

Shell is now repaired/welded, fully seam sealed underneath and in primer. Just got to get some stonechip on the arches and I can start bolting it all together.

I recently bought a V8 S13 which I have completely stripped and sold everything I didn't need/want. So I now have a fully working 1UZFE with R154 gearbox running a Link G4 Storm ecu.

Also got a set of 8pot 356mm front brakes, hydraulic handbrake and full braided lines, and a spare set of 18x10" wheels.

The car is no longer going to be road legal, and I have also bought a full extinguisher set and FIA battery cutoff as I am planning on entering the BARC North West Sports & Saloons having just been confirmed I will be eligible. Just need to get my licence, and a trailer, and a landy ...!

BUT! This makes the build slightly easier as I don't have to worry about MOT regs, lights etc etc. just what I need to be race legal. Watch this space!

volospian
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by volospian »

Woohoo! This is sounding good! :)

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Shell has been lathered in hammerite stone guard and it looks amazing! I am well chuffed with it. Got it off the spit yesterday for the first time in well over a year, so now I can start bolting all the running gear on to get it to a rolling shell hopefully this wk. Got a lot of nice parts to put on, and then I can start the bodywork etc.

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

Keep us update with some pics!

Why kind of weight can you get an R32 V8 down to?

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Iain wrote:Keep us update with some pics!

Why kind of weight can you get an R32 V8 down to?
Not sure yet mate. The 1UZ is a hell of a lot lighter than the iron block RB engines, but it's going to have a meaty R154 behind it. The car is fully stripped but also has a big cds cage in (not t45 which would help a lot!). I will only be running a single seat and a few fiberglass/carbon panels for the time being.

The doors weigh an absolute ton due to the massive crash reinforcement in them, so I suppose fiberglass doors and bonnet would help. I know a few R32 GTRs race cars have been down to about 1200kgs, with lots of expensive carbon bits, but they are 4WD. I would be happy with that, or less! A long way down the line would be to semi-spaceframe it behind and in front of the suspension turrets as well.

The plan is to get it built asap now the shell is done and I have all the bits, I can worry about weigh saving later ... I could probably do with losing a few pounds myself haha. I have been lazy with updates/pictures but will try to sort something soon

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

R154 is a lot lighter than an R33 GTR box/transfer so your engine/box combo should be a lot lot lighter than the 4wd setup.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

stevieturbo wrote:R154 is a lot lighter than an R33 GTR box/transfer so your engine/box combo should be a lot lot lighter than the 4wd setup.
Those boxes must weigh a shed load then! The R154 is a beast next to the R380 I had in my garage haha.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

chodjinn wrote:
stevieturbo wrote:R154 is a lot lighter than an R33 GTR box/transfer so your engine/box combo should be a lot lot lighter than the 4wd setup.
Those boxes must weigh a shed load then! The R154 is a beast next to the R380 I had in my garage haha.
Largely it's because of the transfer box.

If you removed that, then it's just a fairly normal rwd type box, so weights would be similar.

Plus you're losing the weight of the front diff/shaft too, although the diff's arent overly heavy
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Iain
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Iain »

If it was me.. If just gut the steel doors, they will alway fit nicer.

What's your power aims from the 1uz with TB's etc?

get some photos up as you go.

Iain

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Ok, well being the Del Boy that I am I sold the manifolds/exhaust and ITBs for 700quid profit, which made the R154 conversion ridiculously cheap. Gutting the doors is a right job (already done it on another set but cocked it up!) but definitely cheaper than spending 500quid on grp ones

The S13 V8 that I bought has all the basic mods already done e.g. EGR delete and one or two other bits, it's running a Link Storm G4 ecu mapped by Thor which supposedly gives 269bhp at the rear wheels, so a wee bit more than factory. That should do for the short term.

I've already got plans to turbo it in the future, have a brand new Holset HX50 and Tial 44m external wastegate sitting here along with a massive 100mm thick GTR intercooler. Also a billet fuel rail, so just need bigger injectors and a wideband to help tune it. Won't be running a BOV.

The 1UZ manifolds are Siamese so I will flip them over and then knock up a turbo manifold pretty easy, the exhaust is already 3" back (altho will need y-pipe replacing). Fuel system I have is AN6 throughout already with twin pumps. The 1UZ and R154 should cope with 500bhp I reckon ... will see.

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Finally sorted some pics. First up are the arches all freshly hammerited, excuse the rear subframe, I went to the trouble of restoring my other one but the solid bushes are ever so slightly off for my car. The white one came on the other S13 and went straight on, and I needed something to prop the back up as my garage is on a slight slope haha:

Shell, all in red oxide, excuse the dust! I went to the trouble of masking every single seam, even under the car, so the seam sealant was perfect ....

Seat rails, foot plate rails and bias pedal box mounts, which are tied to the cage footplates

Last edited by chodjinn on Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Your Garage Scene”