Skyline R32 1UZFE

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Skyline R32 1UZFE

Post by chodjinn »

Ok, time to start my new build thread!

Just under a year ago I bought a Nissan Skyline R32 GTST shell that has a lot of work done to it, the old build thread can be found here;

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/drift-c ... -r324.html

For whatever reason the car never saw the road/track, was broken, and the shell moved around from owner to owner, until I bought it for what I think was an absolute steal considering the work that had gone into it. The shell has sat in my back yard since then. It came as a bare shell with full cage, tubbed arches, welded seat rails, floor pedal box etc, front subframe, steering rack, doors, boot and some seals and one Perspex window.... A few pics from when I bought it;

The plan was to keep it under wraps until I got on with the MG, but that was far too much work on the shell, so I decided to shelve that project, sell the shell and restoration panels, keep the fancy racing bits and get on with the Skyline. So since xmas I have bought a LOT of parts for it, and this weekend I picked up a k-reg Lexus LS400 locally for a bargain price.

It's a shame to break such a nice car, but at least I got what I hope is a good one. So the plan is to use the engine, auto gearbox (to get it up and running until I can save for a pricey manual conversion) and hopefully the wiring.

The bit that scares me is the wiring, there is sooo much of it in the lexus, hopefully I can use the whole loom and adapt it for the skyline lights etc .... never done anything like this before so probably need help haha!

Anyway, will post some updates when I can. First I have to build a big dolly to wheel the skyline into the garage so I can strip the lexus down in the back yard (more room). Hope you like!

RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Sounds cool...dont fancy that wiring job though !!!
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

stevieturbo wrote:Sounds cool...dont fancy that wiring job though !!!
I know, wiring is a mystical art to me. Not sure whether to get a Skyline loom and adapt it or what yet. Major googling time is required to research that one!

plastic orange
Getting There
Getting There

Post by plastic orange »

This engine is very popular in Australia, and now in the drifting scene here, so I'm sure the wiring issues are well documented. I'm sure it will come down to the usual few wires to connect - much like the LS 1 motor in my Minor.
This will be my engine of choice when I get on with re-commissioning another V8 Minor which currently has a knackered Ford 302.
I run a late LS400 as my daily - superb cars.

Pete
Image Image

plastic orange
Getting There
Getting There

Post by plastic orange »

Image Image

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Cheers Pete, I'm already a member on Lextreme it's quite a good website, although all I can find is information on adapting for an existing car. Mine is a completely bare shell with nothing.

I may strip down the LS400 loom as much as possible and try to use it as is, adapt the lights etc.

plastic orange
Getting There
Getting There

Post by plastic orange »

You can buy a generic wiring loom from quite a few places. I used an ez wiring loom - picked it up in the States when on holiday. All the wires are clearly labelled and connected to fuse box -just pick how many circuits you require:

http://www.ezwiring.com/

Pete
Image Image

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

That's quite a good idea. Did you use the 12 circuit one? I'll be running a separately fused fuel pump loom as I'll be running two pumps anyway. I'll look into hooking up just the engine and see what's involved.

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

If it was me, I'd try and keep the two looms as separate as possible, use an ez loom and wire the engine so it can be linked in as an add on.
When I thought about fitting one in the pop I'm sure it was going to be a lot easier to keep the auto box in place with the various sensors it requires. Having a whole driving car got to be a big plus :)
So thats where it went !

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

EZ loom for the car and wire the engine separately? Makes sense. Been stripping the interior, damn it is well put together!

plastic orange
Getting There
Getting There

Post by plastic orange »

I used the ez loom for the car, but used the complete engine loom for the engine/box.
I can't recall the kit I got, but it is the mini fuses version with more than just the basic number of circuits - most popular model apparently and was only around $10 more than the basic loom.
It was a bit long for a Morris Minor as it is designed for American cars, but worked out just fine.
Just remember, if you are fitting dynamat prior to wiring, it will cause live feeds to short out if you aren't watching :D
Just checked - 20 circuit kit.

Pete
Image Image

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Car is going to be fast road/track so minimalist interior, electrics and wiring.

Only luxury will be a mini heater to help demist the screen when needed.

Anything else will fry my head when it comes down to the wiring! Appreciate your advice Pete cheers.

plastic orange
Getting There
Getting There

Post by plastic orange »

I fitted a 3.5KW modular mini heater from here:

http://www.t7design.co.uk/

They actually made it slightly smaller for me as space was very limited. It works really well - too hot if truth be told :D

Pete
Image Image

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Yeah that's the sort I was thinking of, cheers for the link. I can honestly say the wiring is the only thing that is really worrying me, it's the one thing that put and end to the MG RV8TT project I had for years, and it obviously has to be right!

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

So will it be 4WD?

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Return to “Your Garage Scene”