Skyline R32 1UZFE

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

No mate, it's a rwd gtst shell. The front end and subframes are different for the gtr. The shell has already been modified to take 200SX S13 suspension (macpherson) and I will be running an S14 rear subframe using offset solid bushes which tuck the subframe up about 10mm. The S14 subframes are desirable as they have better anti squat/traction. I also have full driftworks adjustable arms (camber, traction, toe and front tension rods) and adjustable lower arms.

RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

A lot will depend on switches etc.

Do you wish to retain Skyline switches, steering column, dashboard etc etc

If you do, then I would really be using a Skyline loom as much as possible, at least for the chassis

It's all good and well stripping and starting from scratch, but it is still a pretty big task to get it right, especially for most road car functions.

If it's a stripped out basic track car, with only the barre legal essentials, then yes aftermarket looms can be the way to go.

I would probably always keep the engine loom separate regardless. Again a lot will depend here which engine, what ecu etc as to whether it's a new loom, butchered loom, or as much OEM loom as possible.

As for heater, dashboard etc...dont ignore these things. It's a novel notion to remove the heater, but dont forget it can still get cold in car, windows can still steam up. Although if the cage has forced removal of these things, then you'll need something else.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Stripped out track car with road legal bare essentials. Heater will be one of those mini-universal ones as shown earlier.

For the time being, keeping OEM ECU so will try to run that separately to car loom. Have the lexus dash which will also try to keep.

Steering column is 200sx S13, can use the lexus switchgear. Going to try and use the lexus wiper motor/arms and adapt to fit. Yes, a lot of work I know!

plastic orange
Getting There
Getting There

Post by plastic orange »

Facebook page for this engine:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/28381862079
Image Image

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Been busy sorting the garage out to get the shell in so I can start work on it properly. Started stripping the lexus interior, thought I had cocked something up with the electrics as it wouldn't start, but turned out to be a flat battery and corroded +ve terminal so sorted that and a quick charge later and it rumbled back into life. This weekend I built a dolly for the skyline so once I've swapped them over I can start on getting the V8 out (I hve a decent garage but the LS400 is a barge and I don't quite have enough room to manouvre the crane about).

Finished restoring the rear alignment arms, two coats of acid etch and two/three coats of gloss black. Just need to laquer them;

Did a bit of stripping on the front end while the weather was nice this weekend. The paint is good for the most part, but once I got down to bare metal there was lots of minute rust bits underneath, and in the seams. Not quite sure how this has happened as it supposedly had a coat of zinc primer, can only assume it wasn't sand blasted before spraying? Anyway, back to bare metal, some metal rust treatment and some red oxide will sort that. There was quite a lot of filler around the tubs to smooth it all out, so that had to come off because 1). I don't want extra filler on it, and 2). wanted to show the welding off. Few pics;

Nearside tub, all smoothed

Offside tub after a bit of stripping and oxide

Top of offside arch shows the minor rusting

Sanded back as much as possible then some Krust. Forgot to take pics of after I'd sanded it back and sprayed some oxide

Oh, and my wheels/tyres came today. Rota GTR-D in 18" x 10" ET12 all round. Tyres 265/35/18 rear Pirelli P-Zero and 225/40/18 Continentals on the front. Should look pretty mean! Almost got enough to get it rolling now. Front and rear subs will be off for blasting and 2-pack gloss black when I get hold of some tension brackets for the front.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

You need to update your signature!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Haha oh yeah!!

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Jeez, posted something on lextreme last week with the hope of getting some advice on wiring, and the two responses were basically "don't do it", "stick with RB/JZ" and "you won't like the power output of a UZ". Er, well that was useful!! Guess I will have to wing it then!

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Been over a month since an update .....:wave:

Got the shell up on my rollover jig with a few modifications to the mounts, so I could start on the underside of the car. Few patches of rust on the chassis rails from where it had been sat on a dolly for a while. Drivers side footwell has some rust underneath the pedal box mount and front seat rail, wasn't sure how bad it was at first;

Close ups

Top side

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

So started to strip it down with a combination of paint stripper, flap & wire wheels etc. After the paint came off it looked like this;

Gave all the corners and seams some Kurust treatment. More work with the wire wheel to get it spanky

Done well over half of it now

There are a few bits that need replacing/patching with the welder. The leading corner of the drivers footwell right by the rollcage mount needs to be cut out and replaced, the front bar on the drivers seat rail has a bit of rot where it was welded to the floor, it could be patched but I'm going to redo it properly. The offside rear arch needs some minor work, and a 3-5mm strip needs filling in on the nearside rear arch where the tub meets the chassis rail, plus a number of minor pin holes and such which aren't too bad. And I'm going to replace about 1/3 of the gearbox tunnel due to a number of minor holes and where a big panel was welded in for the hydro (not where I want it).

So, I went out and bought another R32 shell for peanuts which I will sort in the next week or two, which included front & rear screens, boot, another set of GTR arches plus whatever bolts and gubbins I can salvage

cheers!

volospian
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by volospian »

Lookin' good!

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

volospian wrote:Lookin' good!
Cheers mate, should hopefully get to use that compressor soon, at long last!!!

volospian
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by volospian »

chodjinn wrote:
volospian wrote:Lookin' good!
Cheers mate, should hopefully get to use that compressor soon, at long last!!!
:)

There's been a few times when I wish I still had it, but then I wouldn't fit the both the compressor and the car in the garage at the same time, lol.

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Finally finished the underside of the shell and got it all in red oxide. Need to get some gas for the welder now so I can mig up the holes and other bits that need doing;

Arches and rear end were a pain in the ass but look good now;

Cut off the remote brake/clutch reservoir mount above the steering column as I have something else to use;

So, I can start on the inside preparation now including the massive climbing frame that is the roll cage! Will be removing the old battery mount behind the passenger seat rails as it must weigh 3kg, and replace with an aluminium box bolted directly to the floor;

Cut out the passenger floor plate/mounts so I can sort the rust, nothing major just a few pinholes;

The only real issue with the shell is the bias pedal box mount, it was all boxed in with 3mm steel and cause a water trap, which started to rust through. Cut a lot of it out today to assess the damage, luckily the roll cage mount plate/box is not affect. In the lower opening you can see a few holes, will cut this out and weld a new plate in;

Finally, managed to source some 3mm carbon fibre panels on the cheap, think I paid a tenner for 3 A4 sheets. Will cut out everything on the pedal box mount apart from the rails, use one plate for the bias pedal box base and two for the heel plates;

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Right, apologies not updated this in a while, mainly because I have done naff all on the shell as I am still waiting to get some welding gas. My daily broke and I've only just got the cash to sort it, hah!

In the meantime, I have restored all the suspension parts, F&R subframes, anti-roll bars and other bracketry.

Bought quite a lot of parts for it, including some new front brakes - Porsche 6 pots.

And this weekend I am off to pick up my gearbox conversion, decided to go with a Toyota R154. It's coming as a full bolt-on kit with hydraulic bearing and easy-bleed system. Hopefully won't have to hammer the tunnel about a lot but it is a bit of a beast!

Also got a set of stainless exhaust manifolds which have been modified for twin lambdas and v-band connectors, and a full exhaust system.

Oh, and a set of ITBs ..... :twisted:

Return to “Your Garage Scene”