3.9 RV8 Twin Turbo MGB - Updated 10th March '09

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Chod
Just weld a fillet in that sensor bracket if you can. Even if you do a steel one, I would still weld a fillet on to stop it from resonating.

Looking mighty fine though mate :)

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

cheers tony, taken a lot longer than expected, but these things always do lol. I've been considering changing to single turbo as well, but since I've gone to all this trouble I might just keep the twins for the moment 8-)

Low boost single would be very sweet in your motor, esp. with the nitrous. Could get away with a small intercooler in the capri can't you? Didn't the brooklands turbos have them? :twisted:

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

brooklands was just an expensive 2.8 :lol:
the tickford was turbocharged,

yeah i would get an intercooler in the front with a bit of jiggling about,
its making sure i get the right turbo though, think thats the reason i not gone any further turboing yet, :oops:
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

I was just looking on ebay.com, the master power turbos seem pretty good value if you want a meaty single for not silly money. Second hand turbonetics/precision/garrett are reasonable too, i reckon something like a T60 or equivalent would be good.

I think a cossy 4x4 intercooler would suit the capri maybe? They're pretty compact but are 4" thick which is silly big, can support upto 330bhp. I've got one in my MG, and seen them on ebay for around £20; come with 2.5" (63mm ish) inlets and a separate connection for a blow off valve (mine is capped with a very expensive A1 rallysport billet bung lol!). Cossy intercoolers are very good value IMO.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Masterpower, certainly on the LS forums have had reliability issues, and one vendor stopped selling them

This was over a year ago now...so perhaps they are ok now. I personally wouldnt risk it though.

Precision do some good value units though.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

yeah I've been following similar threads on a few US turbo forums. They have had a few problems, but far more sucess stories than bad. I hear what you say tho stevie about turbos, they are the single most important part of the engine so you have to spend the money. So many tales of woe from xspower/ssautochrome china cheapies etc etc. I guess a big old T4 garret would suffice in a single set up if your not fussy; they're cheap as nowadays.

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Converted the oil take off and remote filter mount to AN fittings; only mod I've done on the car for nearly 3 months! :roll:

Boosted LS1
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Boosted LS1 »

Lol, don't tell me they're my old rotomasters :) great project by the way, it'll be as very satisfying drive.

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Can't believe it's 4 months since my last update! Credit crunch is affecting us all, and I'm unable to do things as fast as I want because I can't afford to! So, with that in mind I've spent a good portion of the past two weekends sorting out a few niggles and bits I've been putting off for a long time. I've taken a bunch of photos, but forgot my camera :oops: so will have to update later in the week!

Anyway, stuff I've done;

1. Modified chassis rail (a-la hammer) to clear oil pump AN fittings.
2. Made a bracket to mount oil filter off the bar that goes across the front of the engine bay - means it's directly in line of cool air thus negating the need for an cooler (for the moment . . . ).
3. Removed those pesky, flimsy raidator support mounts and made some compact ones from 3mm steel; moved radiator forwards about 10mm to aid water pump moounting.
4. Modified radiator to fit with new mounts, and shortened the outlet pipe.
5. Removed a large section of the front panels to fit an intercooler; made a strong, bolt-in bracket for the intercooler.
6. Modified intercooler pipes to fit and mocked up the new 80mm throttle body to where it should fit on the new plenum (this took HOURS!).
7. Completely dismantled one of the front hubs, cleaned the disc, custom hub mount etc then reassembled.
8. Removed crank pulley and trial fitted the 36-1 trigger wheel.

phew. Photos to follow. :lol:

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Firstly a shot of my custom 5-stud hubs - before I cleaned them lol. Anyone know what brakes these are, I'm not sure whether they're Jag or SD1 4-pots?

Removing the crank pulley was a piece of cake like this;

Cut massive hole in front panesl for intercooler;

Removable bracket made to mount intercooler;

Removed those nasty factory radiator supports;

And made new ones

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

And so here we go, engine bay mock-up number three-hundred-and-forty-three lol, it does look a bit pimp tho if I do say so myself!

bones
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by bones »

The engine looks good, very impressive, and a tight fit, alot of work gone into that, Nice one, and brakes look like jag items :D rich

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Cheers Rich! A lot of work is right, would have been a lot less if I had more time and money, and better knowledge lol, but it's all a learnign process, and most of all fun!!! :D 8) I love it!

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Mwah, just acquired an AH Fabrications chargecooler that requires a bit of 'mending', it is a £600 item though! Shame I can't fit it in the engine bay, yet lol :lol:

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Looking good mate!
A day at the track is looking possible for July is it??
Not to race, just to show off. :))

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

Return to “Your Garage Scene”