3.9 RV8 Twin Turbo MGB - Updated 10th March '09

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

3.9 RV8 Twin Turbo MGB - Updated 10th March '09

Post by chodjinn »

Currently trying to get my car back on the road after serious mishaps with a certain engine builder.

Now fitting a new fuel system, EFI and MegaSquirt & MegaJolt.

Interior stripped and almost ready for painting.

New oil cooling system and modified water cooling system.

Intercooler, dump valve and other spanky bits going on.

Still missing a load of parts to get the engine actually in the car, but we'll see how it goes.

Gotta get as much done before the 18th Dec as possible as I'm having a shoulder op and will be out for 3.5 months, wich me luck lol!
Last edited by chodjinn on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

kev_the_mole
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kev_the_mole »

Best of luck with the shoulder op Chodjinn.

Perhaps when you are convalescing you could write up an idiot's guided to installing EFI, Megasquirt & Megjolt because I sure could use it :oops:

Cheers,

Ian

It's an engine Jim.....but not as we know it ;)

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

hey, that's not a bad idea Kev! Something like that would have helped me a treat, and I'd love to help other people.

Sir Bill of Shirvington has helped me a great deal but I'm sure he gets tired of all the phonecalls sometimes!

Hmmm, idiots guide will be started in earnest!

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

chodjinn wrote:hey, that's not a bad idea Kev! Something like that would have helped me a treat, and I'd love to help other people.

Sir Bill of Shirvington has helped me a great deal but I'm sure he gets tired of all the phonecalls sometimes!

Hmmm, idiots guide will be started in earnest!
There a several megasquirt build sites around the internet, so research them and try to cover the stuff they don't or assume that you know.
Perhapps "Megasquirt for Dummies"

It's a DIY system, so having said that, Megasquirt is for people who want to learn about fuel injection - as opposed to people who just want to use fuel injection.
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

yeah I know of the various mega sites, but there isn't much RV8 related.

Stuff like making a wiring harness for the coil packs etc is quite hard to get info on.

ihatesissycars
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ihatesissycars »

http://www.extraefi.co.uk/

Thats Phils site for his megsquirt bits. If you get an ecu from him specify that you want it to run twin 4 post coil packs and he'll build the circuit into the ecu. Then you just have 5 (i think) wires to hook up. Very easy and simple. He has starter maps on his site free to download for forced induction rv8's too.

daxtojeiro
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by daxtojeiro »

Hi there,
tell me what is it you want to know about MegaSquirt and I will either add it to the manuals Ive written or to my site depending on what its more suitable for.

Manuals Ive done are here by the way, it should help a little, it better, its taken me 7months work so far :(
http://www.msextra.com/manuals/MS_Extra ... _Index.htm

Phil

http://www.extraefi.co.uk/cobra/accobra.htm SuperCharged 5325cc V8 Cobra Replica (Full sequential Fuel and Ignition MS3 management)

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

After many many months of trial and testing, mistakes, rethinks etc etc the engine is finally in the car! Although the gearbox isn't fitted yet, i have started fitting bits and bobs to the engine bay in order to sort all my plumbing out. I've just ordered some silicon and intercooler pipes, although there are still a few bits left to order.

Aluminium flywheel, AP Racing clutch

Engine bay

Rear of car, including fuel system, roll cage and my home-made hot-rod style dash, which I'm very proud of!
Image[/img]

adikt
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by adikt »

*drool* That looks fantastic! I love braided hoses. Where is your swirl pot from?
If it dont fit, force it. If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway!

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

I think I bought it from AH Fabrications, however I recently purchased an alloy battery tray from them and had to send it back because it was warped as hell! They give very good customer service though and gave me a full refund, which was nice of them!

The swirl pot is fantastic though. I bought the one with push-on fittings as I couldn't afford the Aeroquip fittings - they alone were gonna cost more than the bloody swirl pot! I use high pressure braided hosing with Sytec HP clamps, less than half the prioce of Aeroquip and looks just about as good.

I also ahd a bunch of braided hose left over, and some clamps, which I used on the overflow piping for the water system.

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Thats my ideal MGB mate. Twin Turbo and its Black!
Are you keeping it Black Chod :?:

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

TimoV

Post by TimoV »

That is SICK! :eek :nw
-TimoV

Diesel is for poor people.
Range Rover 3.9EFI, 1990

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Yeah Perry it's staying black! I did a bare metal respray myself (with cans!) of the inside in satin black. The outside is matt black and there's plenty of nicks etc so it does need redoing - but sinces it's a track car that's the last thing I'm doing! Going to have it done satin black as well, which should match the white Compomotive MOs I have for it hehe pure stealth-bomber like :twisted:

adikt
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by adikt »

Mines black too! But also sporting 3 different colours of primers and white GRP. Mostly though, it is a fetching shade of rust!

I can't wait to see it up and running!
If it dont fit, force it. If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway!

JC.
Getting There
Getting There

Post by JC. »

I recall seeing pics of the previous instalation on your car and thinking it was pretty cool.
They only thing that didnt grab me was the two lumps for the SU carbs at the front of the bonnet.

Looks like you're going to be able to get that in there under a standard bonnet if not under an RV8 bonnet?

Have you got any shots of the exhaust system and the inner wings of the engine bay?
Image -JC.

Return to “Your Garage Scene”