Mk1 cortina Gt 5.0ltr

Please post current V8 projects IN BUILD NOW in here, Any non relavent posts will be removed,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

demo2
Moderator Gold
Moderator Gold

Mk1 cortina Gt 5.0ltr

Post by demo2 »

Well ive well and truly started work on the car again, drivers side header is made, now making passenger side.
New Megasquirt ecu arrived this week thanks to Phil, 30lb injectors arrived from the states and now waiting on knock senser and rev counter converter to arrive from UK.
I guess i shud put some pics up if anyone interested?

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
Always interested in pictures of cars :drool
Though I'm sure in the latitudes you are now resident in you could find something more interesting than a rover to stick in it. . what does a Holden engine look like?? :?
Best regrads
Mike
poppet valves rule!

demo2
Moderator Gold
Moderator Gold

Post by demo2 »

Holden no longer make a v8 since 98, the last one was a 308, then they went ls1, ls2 etc.

Trouble with my car is the engine bay is small so a 5.0ltr tvr engine was best bet, car weighs like 800kg and last time on rollers i had 283bhp at rear wheels so it scoots along. Now with decent headers,ecu,bigger injectors im hoping to break 300.
Besides motor was put in when car was in England.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
Didn't realise the Mk1 was that light, but I supose I should, steel would have still been in short supply when it was made, and I doubt they were too troubled by crumple zones. . .
have fun with the build, and I for one would apreciate some up to date pictures.
Best regrads
Mike
poppet valves rule!

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

Hi Paul,

Is that BHP from the standard 5.0l TVR motor. I was very pleased with my 4.3 from a TVR Griff that had 215 at the rear wheels but know people often comment that TVR had a habit of over estimating the power.

I would be happy to see some pictures

demo2
Moderator Gold
Moderator Gold

Post by demo2 »

No its not standard, i have a twin plenum on it, a mechanical cam, and offset bushes in the rockers to give an extra 20 thou lift.
This was running flapper setup with jag injectors, jag a/f meter and mark adams adjustable ecu, i am am now changing to megasquirt and 30lb injectors as Phil reckons the jag injectors would be maxed out on a 5.0ltr.
Will take some pics later 2day and host em on photobucket if i can rememebr log on details lol

JJMclure
Getting There
Getting There

Post by JJMclure »

we need pictures!
don't nibble on the barrel, pull the trigger!

Mark
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Mark »

Pictures please :D
302 V8 Sierra 5 door sleeper under way

demo2
Moderator Gold
Moderator Gold

Post by demo2 »

Drivers side header, bit of an odd pattern but the only way to do it and get round the steering link

Passenger side, not much room to make them

The old intake and new one, to be conbined

New injectors from the states, ford 30lb redtops

4 yrs worth of dirt built up on it

The temp outside my garage last sunday, air temp was just over 40 but in the suntrap was almost 50

The 454 big block in my boat, nothing to do with cortina but fort i'd load it up

demo2
Moderator Gold
Moderator Gold

Post by demo2 »

Well i can get on now, ecu arrived back from uk, decided i will wire up to the car and get everything mounted b4 stripping it out 4 painting.
Anyone know if a standard fuel pump off a vitesse will be enough to run my 5.0ltr? i ran it for 3000 miles on it and seemed ok but wondered if i shud get an 044 pump?

Have now drilled out the original twin plenum intake to take the 30lb injectors, decided against using the hotwire manifold as its only 38mm apposed to 42mm. Have cut fuel rail down as fouled the bulkhead and mounted the adjustable reg i was runnin on flapper 2 mount directly on2 the end of the fuel rail.
Finish buildin passenger side header next week and then wire ms2 up.
Full of enthuisiasm after nearly 4 yrs of collecting dust, will take some pics moro nite and upload.
Also transfered my website host from uk to oz and have started updating website, added a history section or started it anyway till my software crashed, will resume once Tony sends me another copy (hint hint)

demo2
Moderator Gold
Moderator Gold

Post by demo2 »

Had this week off work and got some time in the man cave, headers all done now, steering connected and now onto wiring ms2 in. Once thats done, i can begin stripping ready for new paint.

JJMclure
Getting There
Getting There

Post by JJMclure »

Exhausts look good!
don't nibble on the barrel, pull the trigger!

demo2
Moderator Gold
Moderator Gold

Post by demo2 »

Nightmare to do in little space, as well as trying to keep away from knock sensors too. Get them hpc coated next.

demo2
Moderator Gold
Moderator Gold

Post by demo2 »

Had a good day today, got alot of the megasquirt wired up, borrowed my daughters laptop but couldnt get it to communicate to the ecu, double checked wiring and all seemed ok, after looking on Phils site, i see i needed to download drivers for the usb port, fingers crossed will work once i have done that.

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

MK1 Cortina???

HELL YES !!!! :)

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

Return to “Your Garage Scene”