Rover V8 Air starter.

Day To Day Chat Area, So Forum Topic's Don't Get Spammed Up.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

paulmanta
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Rover V8 Air starter.

Post by paulmanta »

I am not sure which section of the Forum to put this in, its neither electrical nor engine so I thought I would put it here and hope you all dont mind !

I have a 1986 Opel Manta which is runnigna Rover V8 (SD1 V8) and i have had problems with the starter motor fouling the steering rod and also the exhaust manifold is very close on the same side. The result is hot starter and badly flowing manifold on the drivers side that knocks and rattles when hot.

I have air bag suspension on the front of the car and so I have an on board air tank and compressor plus extra air capacity.

I am asking if anyone knows of an Air/Pneumatic starter that is available for the rover V8 ? compact is vital, the smaller the better.

Does such a thing exist ? I have tried Googling and only came up with off the shelf general application products like the Ingersoll Rand 3BMG, which is a little over spec and heavy, also would require heavy modification to use.

Paul.

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

Look at a high torque / gear reduction starter, as they are smaller and better than OEM ones.

quick google:
http://www.britishstarters.com/

On my chevy one, I was able to re-index the position to clear the exhaust.
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Try this
Lucas LRS 318 9m 90 body starter.
Or as mentioned above a gear reduction starter.
cheers
P

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

If I can, Ill get some pics of my mod has allowed me to move the solonoid out of the way of my steering,
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

The only air starters I have come across are for big stuff like 16 cylinder Cat engines, you could probably replace the V8 with one...........
Cheers,
John

paulmanta
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by paulmanta »

Thanks for the replies, i googled up a company called "racemettle" who seem to do these gear reduction starters, has anyone used them ? i am aware there is a difference between normal rover V8 and SD1 type starters, normall its the position of the solenoid but i am wondering if the gear reduction ones have this difference or if they are adjustable.

Current starter i bought and fitted has the solenoid below the body of the starter, at 6 o clock if you will, its about 9 inches long, so not as big as the last one i had that touched everywhere, this only hassles the steering and manifold a bit, the other one just would not fit in the hole at all.

I was barking up the air tree because about a couple of years ago i saw one on ebay for some V8 engined race car and did not think to buy it, It looked small, really small, no solenoid and about 6 inches long and about 4 or 5 inches across. I hoped that it was an item someone else had seen.

I am going to get some specs and sizes on gear reduction ones now, then make a new bloody manifold, except I will have to do two because I wont be able to have odd manifolds !

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ian.stewart »

Do these help??, the engine is upside down on a stand, and the solonoid points directly downwards, the bottom pic shows the mod you have to do to the pinion support

THE SMOKING GNU

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

The non oem gear reduction starters allow you to swing the motor/solenoid around in relation to the pinion, which saves that trouble.
Eliot Mansfield

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ian.stewart »

Deffo not as cheap :D :D :D
THE SMOKING GNU

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

paulmanta wrote:Thanks for the replies, i googled up a company called "racemettle" who seem to do these gear reduction starters, has anyone used them ? i am aware there is a difference between normal rover V8 and SD1 type starters, normall its the position of the solenoid but i am wondering if the gear reduction ones have this difference or if they are adjustable.
[snip]
There are different makes of hi-torque gear reduction motors to fit the RV8 - although they all seem to use the same basic Denso motor. So the layout does vary somewhat.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

ian.stewart wrote:Deffo not as cheap :D :D :D
No - and must admit I duly noted your solution in the old brain-box. :)
Eliot Mansfield

paulmanta
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by paulmanta »

Thanks for the pics, That does help a bit except i have less than no room down that side of the engine, i have no manifold at all at the moment and the starter fouls the steering.

The air start idea is one I had hoped had been done before, it would save me doing the leg work and machining to make it fit. but, I fancy it so I am going to try and go down this route.

I will pop a thread up if I can get it to work, no point if I cannot !

Wotland
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Wotland »

If ever I have always the hand crank of my old landy :lol: .

Return to “General Chat Area”