Nibblers

Day To Day Chat Area, So Forum Topic's Don't Get Spammed Up.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Nibblers

Post by richardpope50 »

I used to have a cheap manual nibbler (common £10 - £15 variety) and in my view useless.

I'm thinking about an air tool nibbler between £25 - £35.

Are they any good and easy to control / handle? Or is a good quality manual one better (easier to use)?

Only for very occasional use mainly for aluminium but also thin sheet steel as I'm restoring a TR6.

Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Nibblers

Post by DaveEFI »

I have a rather rare mains electric Hitachi one. it is very fast, but not the easiest thing to do accurate cuts with. I'd guess much the same as an air driven one.
My hand one is an ancient Monodex. Well past its best. But far more difficult to do damage with.
I'd love a decent hand one - perhaps with easily replaced (and obtained) blades.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

Yes, much as I thought. An accurate hand one seems much better to me too. All seem to be the 'Draper' type that was the one I had and pretty useless - thin sheet only and soon needed replacement blades making it a pretty poor straight line.

Anyone with a suggested make?
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Have a look at these...commercial aircraft tooling, so it should be decent quality stuff.
https://www.usatco.com/products?pSearch ... ageSize=24
They should be available in the UK.
Cheers,
John

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

On the GT40 builds we used hand held jig saws
A bit noisy but worked well

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

Thanks. Not sure air tools are quite right and so will go for a hand tool solution even if it mean another cheapish nibbler or hack saw. Have been using a Stanley knife saw blade on my radiator cowling and seems to wirk quite well if careful. Didn't realise ther were so many nibbler types.
Richard.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Ian Anderson wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:22 pm
On the GT40 builds we used hand held jig saws
A bit noisy but worked well

Ian
A hand nibbler may be best if there is limited clearance on the other side of the panel. And requires a smaller start hole, if cutting in the middle of something.
They are one of those tools were there may not be a better alternative for some jobs.

Notice that list included the one I have - the Monodex. I'd hardly describe it as 'aircraft quality' Think it came from Halfords perhaps 40 years ago. The bits which fit on the handles to allow you to press in the direction of the cut fall off in storage. And changing the blades a fiddly job. Basically one of a similar design but better engineered would be great.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

DaveEFI wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:15 am
Notice that list included the one I have - the Monodex. I'd hardly describe it as 'aircraft quality'
Don't be fooled by "Aircraft Quality"... it's become the tool version of billet aircraft alloy for making pots and pans.

If you want aircraft tooling buy it from aircraft tooling suppliers like USATCO and Brown Tool or similar places.
Cheers,
John

Return to “General Chat Area”