Just failed my trailer test, dammit!

Day To Day Chat Area, So Forum Topic's Don't Get Spammed Up.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Just failed my trailer test, dammit!

Post by chodjinn »

Had my trailer test yesterday for B&E licence, unfortunately failed. I realize most members on here are old hats and don't have to do this, but I passed in July 97 so can only tow 3500kg total, which puts me out of being able to tow the skyline on a car transporter (legally) without this licence. Having looked into all the options, this was the only totally safe and legal way.

Anyway, I had a day and a half worth of lessons and then the test yesterday afternoon. For those that don't know the test involves a car check, 5 questions, a full unhitch/hitch, reverse S into bay and then a 1 hour driving test. The driving test is about half way between a learner and advanced (that's what I was told anyway).

Out of about 16 attempts I only managed the S manoeuvre in one go on two occasions, I couldn't link the two turns, really bloody hard lol. Not really an issue as you get two shunts (for 1 minor mark on the test) so I knew I would do that, and in fact did. Aced everything else on the trailer part.

What I failed on was the driving part, annoyingly I only got two minors (1 for doing 32mph in a 30 (harsh!), 1 other for not fully checking mirrors off a roundabout).

The serious fault was on a big roundabout coming off the motorway. I had practiced spiral roundabouts a bit as I'd got it wrong while having lessons, I thought this roundabout was a spiral, turned out it wasn't. Despite there being lights on/off the roundabout where I checked my mirrors in both occasions (all good), there were no road markings to indicate dual lanes, so halfway round it I 'crossed' the lanes without checking my mirrors - boom failed! Totally gutted, even the examiner admitted it was harsh due to no markings but rules are rules, bah! She also said my driving was very good and apart from the serious fault, one of the cleanest sheets for ages haha! Grrr!

Spent £675 so far and will cost me about £280 ish to retest!! Dammit!!

RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

Spongo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Spongo »

Ouch that's a bummer still at least for the retest you know you should be OK just do the "Wimbledon neck" thing with the mirrors and hopefully all will be well on the retest.
Range Rover 630R or otherwise known as the Money Pit
MS2 with switch MAPS for LPG
Techedge Wideband Sensor

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Sounds like they really put you through your paces.
I got what looks like the equivalent to your C1+E from converting my Military License to Civil, so that part of it was easy.
Getting the Military one was hard work, though.
Cheers,
John

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Passed it second time!

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Good work.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

A friend did his here a few years ago...I dont even think he went out on the road much at all !

Most of the test was checking crap before you even set off, and some manoeuvring around a test track thingy
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

stevieturbo wrote:A friend did his here a few years ago...I dont even think he went out on the road much at all !

Most of the test was checking crap before you even set off, and some manoeuvring around a test track thingy
It's a full driving test now as well, I was out for almost an hour on top of all the checks and reverse S.

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

stevieturbo wrote:A friend did his here a few years ago...I dont even think he went out on the road much at all !

It's a full driving test now as well, I was out for almost an hour on top of all the checks and reverse S.

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Return to “General Chat Area”