Peak acceleation.

Day To Day Chat Area, So Forum Topic's Don't Get Spammed Up.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Peak acceleation.

Post by DaveEFI »

You accurately log your best acceleration times in only one gear on a manual box. Say in 5 mph increments - if you could do such a thing.
Like say 20-25, 45-50 mph, etc.

Where would be best figure be - maximum torque, maximum BHP, or somewhere else?

Perfect surface and no wheel spin. And at the sort of speeds where air drag doesn't make a difference.

Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

I would have thought that it would be at maximum torque, the gearbox acts as a torque 'multiplier' but initially the torque is being produced at the crankshaft.

Max BHP is related to torque but also to the actual revs per minute of the crank and this in turn relates to the MPH. That's why your maximum speed is determined by your max BHP. Once your engine has revved higher than where it produces peak torque your acceleration will start to drop off but it will still continue to accelerate as you are still producing torque. When the torque starts to drop at such a high rate that the increase in RPM is not great enough to result in an increase in BHP you have then hit your peak BHP.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Just what I'd always thought. But just been told in no uncertain terms it would be at maximum BHP, not torque.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

DaveEFI wrote:Just what I'd always thought. But just been told in no uncertain terms it would be at maximum BHP, not torque.
Well whoever told you that does not have a clue about what torque or BHP is! :shock:

I tend to spend hours and hours in the bath reading books on all this sort of stuff. A.G. Bells book on 4 strokes has a good section on gearing and gearboxes, my first post was based on the info from that book!

(All of my books are wrinkly!) :lol:

You sort of even know this subconsciously anyway, you tend not to rev the engine to peak RPM (peak BHP) in first gear beacuse you have gone way past peak torque, you do rev the engine above peak torque in each gear because when you change up you need the engine revs to drop back onto the fat bit of the torque curve. The gear change point for maximum acceleration changes for each gear that you are in but I must admit that I tend to just rev the engine hard in every gear other than first! Ofcourse the wheels just to tend to spin up anyway! (A racer after every 1/10 of a second would be more interested in this stuff than me I guess)
Last edited by sidecar on Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Definitely peak torque. Newtons 2nd Law.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

And at the sort of speeds where air drag doesn't make a difference.

Thats on a Dyno I guess !! Peak torque rpm is the key here i think ?

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

Max BHP

You want to accelerate something and that's all about moving and Power is an ability to move and do work.

Torque is about an ability to twist/turn something and requires no movement - I can generate more torque than my V8 (at zero rpm) but to do it at 7000rpm - Nah - that's power.
4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

Darkspeed wrote:Max BHP

You want to accelerate something and that's all about moving and Power is an ability to move and do work.

Torque is about an ability to twist/turn something and requires no movement - I can generate more torque than my V8 (at zero rpm) but to do it at 7000rpm - Nah - that's power.
I just googled this, now I'm not saying that just because the first site I came across says its peak torque therefore I'm right. I reckon its peak torque anyway!

The conclusion from the website...

But, you ask, isn't your acceleration greatest at the torque peak? Yes, it is! But only within that gear. The next gear down will give you even greater acceleration at the same speed, unless the vehicle speed is too high for that gear

The website...

http://www.allpar.com/eek/hp-vs-torque.html

Mind you it also says this....

Shift to maximize engine POWER, not engine torque!

But I think that is with regards to changing gear and as the OP said implied for a single gear I think that in that gear no matter what that gear is the peak rate of acceleration will be at peak torque.
Last edited by sidecar on Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

sidecar wrote:
DaveEFI wrote:Just what I'd always thought. But just been told in no uncertain terms it would be at maximum BHP, not torque.
Well whoever told you that does not have a clue about what torque or BHP is! :shock:

I tend to spend hours and hours in the bath reading books on all this sort of stuff. A.G. Bells book on 4 strokes has a good section on gearing and gearboxes, my first post was based on the info from that book!

(All of my books are wrinkly!) :lol:

You sort of even know this subconsciously anyway, you tend not to rev the engine to peak RPM (peak BHP) in first gear beacuse you have gone way past peak torque, you do rev the engine above peak torque in each gear because when you change up you need the engine revs to drop back onto the fat bit of the torque curve. The gear change point for maximum acceleration changes for each gear that you are in but I must admit that I tend to just rev the engine hard in every gear other than first! Ofcourse the wheels just to tend to spin up anyway! (A racer after every 1/10 of a second would be more interested in this stuff than me I guess)
My car goes quickest when I shift gears at peak torque rpm. If I shift at peak bhp rpm it goes slower on the 1/4 mile.

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

mgbv8 wrote:
My car goes quickest when I shift gears at peak torque rpm. If I shift at peak bhp rpm it goes slower on the 1/4 mile.
We can all waffle on about it but if you have tested it down the strip and the tests are repeatable then I guess that's more conclusive than any theories or quoting of books! :D

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

sidecar wrote:
Darkspeed wrote:Max BHP

I just googled this, now I'm not saying that just because the first site I came across says its peak torque therefore I'm right. I reckon its peak torque anyway!

The conclusion from the website...

But, you ask, isn't your acceleration greatest at the torque peak? Yes, it is! But only within that gear. The next gear down will give you even greater acceleration at the same speed, unless the vehicle speed is too high for that gear

The website...

http://www.allpar.com/eek/hp-vs-torque.html

The summary from that website

Torque and power are (almost) flip sides of the same coin. Increasing the torque of an engine at a particular RPM is the same as increasing the power output at the same RPM.

Power is just as useful and relevant in determining vehicle performance as is torque. In some situations it's more useful, because you may not have to play with gear ratios and a calculator to understand what's going on.

A car accelerates hardest with gearing selected to stay as close as possible to the engine *power* peak, subject to the traction capability of the tires.

Not all cars should be shifted at the redline for maximum performance. But it's true for many cars. You can determine optimal shift points by graphing horsepower vs. velocity or transmission torque vs. RPM. Engine torque alone will not determine shift points.

end quote.

And the bold is what the OP asked ignoring any of the relevant things like traction and wind etc.

Max torque could be at 5 RPM - that's not quick and if you change the gearing you change the torque as its all 5250 connected.

This is to go fast and accelerate quickly you go for Power and turn the engine as fast as possible and use the gearing to maximise the torque at the wheels.

Question was pretty pointless TBH

If torque was king no engine would need to run at higher than 5250 rpm accelerate as fast as possible and we know that is not a fact.
4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

sidecar wrote:
mgbv8 wrote:
We can all waffle on about it but if you have tested it down the strip and the tests are repeatable then I guess that's more conclusive than any theories or quoting of books! :D

Just the results of my own testing !!
I had a read up on the whole thing about this online and to be honest I glazed over after a few mins :)

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

sidecar wrote:
mgbv8 wrote:

Just the results of my own testing !!
I had a read up on the whole thing about this online and to be honest I glazed over after a few mins :)

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Darkspeed wrote:
[snip]

If torque was king no engine would need to run at higher than 5250 rpm accelerate as fast as possible and we know that is not a fact.
Unless you have a CVT covering all possible speeds, you will always have to run the engine outside its 'perfect' speed no matter what that is.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

What is CVT Dave?

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Return to “General Chat Area”