Loft Insulation

Day To Day Chat Area, So Forum Topic's Don't Get Spammed Up.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Loft Insulation

Post by richardpope50 »

I apologise as it is not V8 stuff but I am a bit desperate ..
Does anyone happen to know anyone who knows about loft and wall insulation? Not the normal DIY store stuff but I need an expert opinion for a Grade 2 listed property on what's possible and to check my proposals

Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Have a look on the Miller Paterson website as they do this type of work daily
If you contact your local council they may also be able to point you in the right direction and a lot of the time you can either get a grant of have the insulation done for free
Ours took a day to do BUT we don't have a grade2 building so you obviously need to ask the right questions
Hope this helps
Cheers
P

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Ring Building Control at your local council. I have always found mine to be very helpful.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

ChrisJC wrote:Ring Building Control at your local council. I have always found mine to be very helpful.

Chris.
Yes - I did too. Other one I'd guess at would be English Heritage. Wall insulation is always the problem with older houses even when not listed.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

Many thanks. Miller Patterson contacted but unfortunately they cannot help with heritage requirements.

FYI, Heritage buildings are not normal buildings as one has to preserve the structure so a foil backed insulation such as Kingspan, Cellotex, etc., is a no no as it does not breathe. It produces condensation that will rot the oak framework.

Local authority is useless and don't have a heritage officer anyway. Also, we are not anywhere near the realms of grants - a different world.

I've spent weeks on this but it seems no one can properly advise. English Heritage simply say use sheep's wool. I cannot believe there are not insulation experts around so still looking ....

(Our house is 400 years old.)
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

v8250
Getting There
Getting There

Post by v8250 »

Richard, I used to chair an annual CIBSE conference at St Peter's College, Oxford. There were a number of highly experienced heritage building professionals who'd attended. One name I remember, though have not met, is Marianne Suhr. You may like to contact her.

http://oldhouseconsultancy.co.uk/about_us_marianne.html

Here's the well known Heritage Directory for researching correct building materials and suppliers

http://www.theheritagedirectory.co.uk/

Your problem is a frequent challenge, how to correctly insulate an historic building without using modern materials. Loft/roof insulation is easy...it's the walls that are always the challenge. Have you thought about using Limecrete? Made from hemp and has superb insulative and breathable qualities. Many folk use this in replacement of modern day plasters. The other area to control your thermal heat losses is with period secondary glazing...though this is quite expensive. Search google for more info' on limecrete and hempcrete.

Forgot to add, these people are generally accepted as the leaders in limecrete materials and are based locally to Marriane Suhr; again, no association...

http://limetec.co.uk/

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Loft Insulation

Post by DaveEFI »

richardpope50 wrote:I apologise as it is not V8 stuff but I am a bit desperate ..
Does anyone happen to know anyone who knows about loft and wall insulation? Not the normal DIY store stuff but I need an expert opinion for a Grade 2 listed property on what's possible and to check my proposals
Have you found these forums?

periodproperty.co.uk
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

Thanks Dave. e-Mail sent so as not to clog up V8 Forum with chat on insulation.
Richard.

Return to “General Chat Area”