Broken bolt extraction tips!

Day To Day Chat Area, So Forum Topic's Don't Get Spammed Up.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

rich112
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Broken bolt extraction tips!

Post by rich112 »

Silly me! I decided to take a look at my thermostat.

Needless to say one of the thermostat housing bolts sheared.

So best way to get the remains out? MIG a nut on it and melt some wax over it seems to be the best solution.

I'd like to do this in situ if possible. I don't really want to take the carb and manifold off if possible.

(At least I discovered there was no thermostat...)
20210728_173014 (Medium).jpg

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Re: Broken bolt extraction tips!

Post by Ian Anderson »

Easi out?

But if you have the welding kit welding on a nut will work. The heat from the welding will also assist in listening the stud

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

You will have to get rid of that water before doing anything.

But yes, I would try to weld a nut to the remainder of the stud, and then tease it back and forth to try to free it.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Clean it up and as there is a stub, try some penetrating fluid over many hours and maybe try some vise grips to get a feel if there is any chance of it moving even a slight bit in either direction.

If not, I'd say it will need proper heat. MIG'ing has been hit or miss for me, as usually it doesn't heat enough, and it's dificult to get a really strong weld to apply good torque to remove.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Another vote for the nut welded on. And get yourself some ScotchClad 776, and use it on every thread that goes into ally. You'll never have one seize again. It's what Rover specified on the first RV8s, and it works now as then.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by garrycol »

Clean it all up and apply penetrating oil for a couple of days. Apply vice grips to the stud and see if there is movement. Do not force as you do not want to strip that bit of stud. If it does not move apply a bit of heat to the stud - gently do it and do it enough get the heat down into the threads. Quench the stud with more penetrating oil or freeze solution. Heat again and use the vice grips to try remove.

No luck then weld on the nut etc.

rich112
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by rich112 »

DaveEFI wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:23 pm
Another vote for the nut welded on. And get yourself some ScotchClad 776, and use it on every thread that goes into ally. You'll never have one seize again. It's what Rover specified on the first RV8s, and it works now as then.
Looks like thats called Scotch-weld fuel resistant coating. Will see about getting some. £72 a tin!

Tef-Gel also sounds good for use around cooling related parts as it's specifically for preventing gavlanic corosion in dissimilar metals. Used in marine applications.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

rich112 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:14 am
DaveEFI wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:23 pm
Looks like thats called Scotch-weld fuel resistant coating. Will see about getting some. £72 a tin!

Tef-Gel also sounds good for use around cooling related parts as it's specifically for preventing gavlanic corosion in dissimilar metals. Used in marine applications.
Crikey. Last I bought, a few years ago, was about half that. But it is a litre, and lasts a long long time. Several complete engine builds. The 776 also acts as a thread lock. I'n sure there are alternatives - but have stuck with that because I know it works.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Loctite 8009 will also work nicely there.
https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/en/ ... _8009.html
It's a formulation for Stainless fasteners, but will be good on mild steel as well.
Cheers,
John

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Cheaper option is make a stud and nut, then hopefully the stud will never need to come out again. Plenty of anti-sieze around it anyway
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

rich112
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by rich112 »

Mission accomplished!

Took a couple of false starts to get a good enough weld onto the nut and the bolt, but then it came out. Not easily, but once I got it moving back and forth, applied some plusgas and carried on.

First time I've done this, so thanks for the tips!
thermostat bolt2.jpg
thermostat bolt.jpg

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

well done. it doesn't always work.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

rich112
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by rich112 »

stevieturbo wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:14 pm
well done. it doesn't always work.
I was lucky, it was accessable! First weld didn't attach to the bolt, second didn't attach to the nut, but I was able to add more weld to the nut. Then I couldn't get a ring spanner over it... :roll: Had to grind some weld off! Was a bit of a palava, but a lot less than taking off the carb and manifold and drilling out the old bolt.

Return to “General Chat Area”