New Package For Forum??

Find out about the latest functions to be added to the forum, and what we have in store for the near future.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Package For Forum??

Post by Coops »

Hi guys,
Mainly for the software geeks etc,
After recent posts about the forum being quiet etc, we are looking at possibly changing this,
I need some input we are looking at merging the forum with the online V8 performance parts shop, and have a revamp to try and get the forum motivated again, and pull in new blood to try and get things buzzing again,
I'm guessing the forum will need a different package to be able to do this,
We may lose some of the current features (that don't get used much nowdays)
if we have to change software,
whats the best one out there? or any other ideas
Thank you.

Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

scudderfish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scudderfish »

The easiest thing would be an upgrade to the latest version of phpBB as that should have some sort of upgrade path. If you want to move to a different platform then it may not be possible to move over the history of posts etc.

I'm happy to help with any of the tech side of this.

Regards,
David

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Cheers David,
In talks with Rossco at the moment which direction it goes but your more than welcome on board if you want?
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

scudderfish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scudderfish »

Sure thing :)

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Hi Coops

Whatever you do make sure it is GDPR compliant.

This is coming in sometime May next year and is a bit of a 'mare to make sure security of data etc.

It also means you have to use servers based in the EU and then with BREXIT coming along better to have it based in the UK

Have a read around GDPR.

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

scudderfish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scudderfish »

GDPR is a PITA :) Are there not limits on size before it kicks in?

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Real big PITA
And I believe every operation that holds data is required-to comply with the daft rules.

Perhaps if the monkeys in parliament had got ot the EU fast enough we could have escaped but alas no......

Ian
Last edited by Ian Anderson on Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

scudderfish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scudderfish »

There must be some limitations though, my Christmas card list is unlikely to fall under the law (and if it does, the law is worthless) so where is the dividing line?

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Ian Anderson wrote:Perhaps if the monkeys in parliament had got ot the EU fast enough we could have escaped but alas no......

Ian
I doubt you would have escaped.. We have the same poop looming in South Africa, seems to be a universal trend to help Big brother along...
Cheers,
John

scudderfish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scudderfish »

I think we may sneak under the radar as a non-commercial body.

Rossco
Moderator Gold
Moderator Gold

Post by Rossco »

Dont worry guys, my Masters Degree is in European Law.

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Rossco wrote:Dont worry guys, my Masters Degree is in European Law.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards Tony C (COOPS)

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

A little update,
With a lot of help from Scudderfish,
the forum is now running on two servers,
one on the old php software (this one)
and one on the latest up to date php software on Scudderfish's server,
so far so good, between us we are ironing out a few bugs we are coming across and Daves swapping the old add ons with the latest ones to trying and keep things the same as the old forum regarding garage etc, while myself and a select few are testing and ripping the new set apart etc before we finally choose an evening to shut the forum down for a few hours and transfer the new forum files over to the old database as not to lose any info,
theres a few things on the new package to help the members but mainly theres more to help us out regarding spamming removing banning etc of members we can also set a ban limit now from 5 mins right through to a permanent ban now,
the whole set up is more user friendly for us but there will be hiccups so please if things go funny while in its first few months don't scream and shout just drop a polite message
As more comes on line i'll let you know
Regards Tony C (COOPS)

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

We wait in antici...................................................pation! :lol:
Cheers,
John

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

Has phpbb evolved from how it used to be, where the minute you made any customisations your BB effectively became an unpatchable and therefore unsupportable nightmare?

I lost interest in mine after doing all the customisations and then not being able to patch it - well, not without re-doing all the work again - which just smacked of a crap product.
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

Return to “Latest Forum News”