Link to Paypal, what's going on?!?!

Forum Problems Only Here Please

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Link to Paypal, what's going on?!?!

Post by chodjinn »

Right, this has happened to me in the past fortnight, when clicking on one of the sub headings in the main forum index it takes me automatically to the paypal login screen. This has happened on at least five occasions and happens with different links on the forum. Today it happened twice; clicking on the General Chat and Cooling parts of the forum.

Is this the forum or me/my computer?

thanks

ramon alban
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Re: Link to Paypal, what's going on?!?!

Post by ramon alban »

chodjinn wrote:Right, this has happened to me in the past fortnight, when clicking on one of the sub headings in the main forum index it takes me automatically to the paypal login screen. This has happened on at least five occasions and happens with different links on the forum. Today it happened twice; clicking on the General Chat and Cooling parts of the forum.

Is this the forum or me/my computer?

thanks
It could be FRAUD. I would guess that you have acquired a TROJAN infection that is redirecting your browser to a CLONED paypal site with the intention of requesting you to log in, etc. After that you could be wide open to someone using your account if you have one. Best check it out and also run some anti trojan software.

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

check your internet settings on the browser - see if its ticked "automaticaly detect proxy server"
This is a common way of highjacking connections from your browser.
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

well it has happened on my home PC and work computer. It happened twice this morning on my work computer. We have a damn good firewall system here etc. so I doubt it is a trojan etc. I scan weekly anyway just in case.

Wierd thing is that it only happens now and again, not all the time. Ah well!

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

does it actually come up with the right paypal page? It should have tony@capri56 right at the top. I have never seen this myself although the paypal link does slow page loading down a fair bit for me.

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

it should also say,

Payment For
The V8 Owners Forum Donation

never had this fault myself or heard any one else with this problem,
which topic was it??? have you the link???
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

Never had it, can't really see how it could happen either. Are you using a mainstream browser? Outside small slim tiny chance it could be browser-related.

Paypal code is v.small so it shouldn't slow anything, there's nothing special about it at all. One img is pulled in over HTTPS which is 50% slower than HTTP but it's only the lil' button.

The PP code is very basic indeed so can't see how it could interfere with links etc.

Some ISPs can get in a twist over sessions & session cookies, but the usual result is asking you to log on all the time - not duff links etc

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

I just get "transferring data from paypal" for far too long sometimes, baring in mind paypals site can run like treacle some times.

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

2 true...

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

Hans a bit for me but comes up with the goods in the end ! john
So thats where it went !

Return to “Forum Faults”