Retaining unread posts

Forum Problems Only Here Please

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Retaining unread posts

Post by unstable load »

This isn't a fault as such, but is there a way that I can set the forum to remember the unread posts when I close the window?

Other forums I go to return to "Unread since last visit" plus new posts or just pick up with the unread and whatever is new next time I log in, but this one wipes unread posts and only opens new stuff.

Like I said, not a fault, just a minor embuggerance factor.

Cheers,
John

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

No posts get wiped here. I don't think forums generally keep a note of what an individual may or may not have read. Hence the search being general to all.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

This is the only Forum I go to that specifically doesn't keep a record of Unread threads/posts.
If I click on "New posts" on the others, I get a page that has new posts at the top and "Unread since last visit" or it simply keeps the unread posts marked as such by a coloured tab in the index, as on this forum, but until read or marked as read.
Cheers,
John

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

unstable load wrote:This is the only Forum I go to that specifically doesn't keep a record of Unread threads/posts.
If I click on "New posts" on the others, I get a page that has new posts at the top and "Unread since last visit" or it simply keeps the unread posts marked as such by a coloured tab in the index, as on this forum, but until read or marked as read.
Yes - some forums do have a 'view unread posts'. Snag is they will give all of them back to the year dot, here. If you've read every post on the forum, it would do what you want.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

Annoys me a bit that one.
4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

If I remember right theres a time function somewhere that can be altered to allow a set period of time between the forum "removing" new post, might need a tweak there
So thats where it went !

scudderfish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scudderfish »

My bookmark for this site is http://www.v8forum.co.uk/forum/search.p ... d=newposts which lists threads with new posts since my last visit. Then I just click the icons next to the titles to jump to the newest unread post in each thread (in a new tab) that I'm interested in. Works well enough for me anyway.

Regards,
Dave

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

That's the page I use - if you leave the page without reading all the posts and then return an little later it has reset and no posts appear because there are no new posts since you visited the last time. You then have to go through the whole forum list to see what the dates are and what one you may have missed.

Most forums I visit keep the newest posts for the last week in a list constantly and after a week they drop off the list. Not reset the list for your particular IP address after a set time.

scudderfish wrote:My bookmark for this site is http://www.v8forum.co.uk/forum/search.p ... d=newposts which lists threads with new posts since my last visit. Then I just click the icons next to the titles to jump to the newest unread post in each thread (in a new tab) that I'm interested in. Works well enough for me anyway.

Regards,
Dave
4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

its not compatible with this version of forum,
we did talk about upgrading when we moved servers 5yrs ago,
but we would of lost the garage features which when put to you the members were happy as it was, as a few just said they go to the index page and see which sections are lit up orange showing new posts,
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Coops wrote:its not compatible with this version of forum,
Fair enough, thanks, Coops! :D
Cheers,
John

Return to “Forum Faults”