Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Search Issues

Post by r2d2hp »

Hi Tony

Just wondered if you experiance this message as I seem to get it quite often

"You cannot make another search so soon after your last; please try again in a short while."

I get it when trying to view messages since last logon. Was wondering what the time limit is between checking for new messages.

Wondering if I have a browser issue

regards
Reg

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

It's a board/software setting, quite common, to prevent floods/attacks and suchlike. Effectively the function is running a search, and so the limit check is triggered. Although it may not be strictly necessary, depending exactly what yr doing, we're stuck with it as it's an in-built thing.

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

Thanks Alley Kat

It seems to happen if there are no new posts and not necessarily the time between searches

Makes sense what you say about attacks. Do you know what the time is set to between searches as sure I dont check that often.

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

Odd - the search flood interval is set to zero... Time between new posts is 15 secs but that shouldn't apply.

What's the exact steps your doing Reg, I'll do the same and see if if gives any clues. Still may not be able to do anything depending what the code's doing, but we'll see,
cheers,
Bill

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

Hi Bill,

Its been working ok this afternoon. But just tried to reply to a PM and getting this error

"You cannot make another post so soon after your last; please try again in a short while."

As it took me 30 min to write my reply an not sure the message can be correct

Any thoughts?

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

I've had this many times in the last 3 weeks. Even when flitting between threads. It stops me looking at anything so I just log off and come back later. Sometimes it happens all day. Which is why I disappear for a day sometimes :)

Only started happening 3 weeks ago though???

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

Hi Perry,

Will try and reply to you tomorrow then.

regards
Reg

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

Bizarre, it really makes no sense. That message is the "flood" one Reg, which isn't even turned on, supposedly. The code hasn't changed in donkeys so I'm puzzled by the cause, and therefore lost what to try and do at the mo..

Chuck me a test PM, I'll try replying. It may take a day or three, mental weekend of work on, but will get back to you.

Anyone else seen similar? Need to know what you were doing and what the message said as exact as poss.
Perry are you seeing this wording-
"You cannot make another post so soon after your last; please try again in a short while."

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

Hi Bill

JUst tried aging to reply to Perrys PM and its worked ok

Also some time I get email notifications and sometimes not. Am using hotmail and recall Tony mentioning an issue a while back so maybe that nothing to worry about

regards
Reg

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

Hi Reg,

Email's outside of our control byond creating the message and pinging it out, once it leaves here anything and everything can happen on it's merry way across the net. Esp with the freebies like Hotmail and Yahoo. Gmail is a bit of a tart, bit less fussy/troublesome.

If I have a brainwave (highly unlikely) re the flood message I'll post back.
btw anything counts towards a "flood", sending a PM and making a post - but then the thing is supposed to be turned off...

cheers
Bill

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

r2d2hp wrote:Hi Perry,

Will try and reply to you tomorrow then.

regards
Reg
Ha Ha!!

Maybe see you Sunday for a cuppa Reg ??

Pel

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

Hi Bill

JUst started doing it again

"You cannot make another search so soon after your last; please try again in a short while."

regards
Reg

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Just tried this to death with the posts since last visit and I cant get the same error message either by opening links in a new tab or by going to the link in the same tab and using the back button. I can go through them instantly without any problem.

What I cant do though is do a normal search at all, I only ever get the the same error message as you. Looked in the admin section but there isn't any settings for this so it must be either in the code or a setup file somewhere.

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

Odd - I've never got the msg and can search fine... Later I'll see about running a mass repair/optimise on the db tables, in case the sessions table is a bit iffy.

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

Ran the "repair"/optimise. Any better?

Return to “Forum Faults”